Feeding Shedules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think i might start buying more superworms as he gets older. He seems to love them right now. I cut them up and put them in with his collard greens. Im not sure the number though. I gave him 3 this morning and another 4 about a half hour ago.

With crickets i would give him as many small crickets as he would eat within a 10 minute period. Usually he loses interest before 10 minutes hits so i throw what he doesnt eat back into the bucket. I do that 2-3 times a day.

As far as veggies i like to always have them in his cage. I think thats best to have something in there at all times incase he/she is hungry and your not available to feed him. If you dont want to use veggies you could use dry food as well.

When it comes to dusting, i do calcium 3-5 times a week and herptivite (vitamins) 2-3 times a week. Then lighting im on a solid 12 hour light schedule for both heat and UVB. 830 am - 830pm. When hes not sleeping in the hut i put a blanket over some of the tank incase im still up so i dont disturb his sleep. I dont fully cover it as i dont want to cut off all the airflow.

This is all just what i do. If you want more in depth stuff the best place to get information is from highly reputable breeders. Most of their websites will have caresheets. They breed for a living so they will know everything there is to know. Here is the caresheet provided by "fireandice dragons"

http://www.fireandicedragons.com/care_sheet.cfm

-xICooRsYIx

well i finally named him he is now 4 months old, i decided to name him kouga and for any anime fans its a name from the anime inuyasha (the wolf demon who i think is really hot lol). whats nice about him is that i only have to feed him 2-3 times a week. i give him 15-20 crickets and which ever he doesnt eat i keep them in there so he can eat as he gets hungry. he also has some flowers in 1 of the 2 food dishes he has which also holds 5 wax worms and 15 giant mealworms. i also started to add carrots roman lettece and some green grapes sadly he hasnt eaten any greens yet :(. i just wish hed grow some so i can start having him on a leash but even a small is to big for him. every 2 days ill check and take any cricket or worm that is dead as well as the flowers. as for the greens i keep them in for 3-4 days by keeping them moist everyday but he still doesnt eat his greens any ideas

vampy

Juvie Member
Denise2012":2pnzpjli said:
well i finally named him he is now 4 months old, i decided to name him kouga and for any anime fans its a name from the anime inuyasha (the wolf demon who i think is really hot lol). whats nice about him is that i only have to feed him 2-3 times a week. i give him 15-20 crickets and which ever he doesnt eat i keep them in there so he can eat as he gets hungry. he also has some flowers in 1 of the 2 food dishes he has which also holds 5 wax worms and 15 giant mealworms. i also started to add carrots roman lettece and some green grapes sadly he hasnt eaten any greens yet :(. i just wish hed grow some so i can start having him on a leash but even a small is to big for him. every 2 days ill check and take any cricket or worm that is dead as well as the flowers. as for the greens i keep them in for 3-4 days by keeping them moist everyday but he still doesnt eat his greens any ideas

I imagine he isn't growing properly due to a terrible diet. A 4 month old beardie needs feeding twice a day, not 2-3 times a week. You can get away with leaving the same greens in for one day if they are far enough away from the light that they don't dry up, but not every 3-4 days.

He should be eating 15-20 crickets or thereabouts twice a day. Extras should be removed after each feeding, or at the very least before bedtime so they don't bite him or disturb him at night. If you leave the crickets in there for days, even if they don't bite him, they will have minimal nutritional value, as they should be gutloaded for 12 hours or so before you give them to him.

Giant mealworms (I assume you mean superworms?) shouldn't be fed to dragons this young, he should be around 16 inches before he gets those, and they aren't suitable as a sole staple for juveniles as they have too much fat in. Waxworms again are too fatty to be used as a staple.

I certainly wouldn't want to eat greens that had been sitting around for 4 days, whether they were moist or not! Make him a salad every day of dark leafy greens and squash (suitable types of greens are listed here http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html). If he doesn't eat it, then throw it out (or give it to your crickets to eat), don't just leave it for days. The carrots and grapes are ok added in small amounts to the salad from time to time, but shouldn't be used as staples.

The info given in this thread to the OP was for an adult dragon, who has very different nutritional requirements to your guy, so you shouldn't be giving him what is recommended in this thread.

If you have any questions about exactly what you should be giving him that you can't answer by reading the forum, then do feel free to ask, I (or someone else) would be happy to give you a sample schedule you could use to feed your little guy.

vampy

Juvie Member
Basic schedule...this is the bare minimum you should do.

Lights on at whatever time you picked

1 hour later, put in a bowl of greens and squash (suitable greens are listed on the website I linked above....collard, mustard, dandelion, that sort of thing), finely chopped. You can add a small amount of other veggies or fruit that are listed on the website as ok if you like. Leave this bowl in all day.

1 hour after this, feed crickets, as many as he will eat in 10 minutes. Either feed in a separate tank, or remove left over crickets when done.

2 hours before light's off (lights off should be around 12 hours after lights on), feed crickets again, as before. Be very careful to remove any left over so they don't upset him in his sleep. Shortly after this, remove the leftover salad and throw it away or feed it to your crickets.

The morning feed (both crickets and salad) should be dusted. 5 days a week it should be dusted with calcium, the other 2 with multivitamins.
Crickets should be gutloaded before feeding.
Live feeders should be no larger than the space between his eyes

OPTIONS:

You can give him an additional cricket meal in the middle of the day between the other two meals if he wants it.
You can leave phoenix worms in the bowl all day with his salad (i prefer this as it means he can eat if he is hungry and means i don't need to do a lunchtime feed)
You can replace the crickets with dubia roaches or silkworms if you prefer, or mix up his live foods to stop him getting bored.
You can give him a few (like 5 or so) waxworms a week as treats

see i was told differetly and what about ants i put romane
lettece with geeen graps and carrots he wouldnt touch
it but when i got up today there were ants in his cage
and in the salad i made him last night

vampy

Juvie Member
erm, figure out where the ants are coming from and kill them?

I wouldn't use insecticide in the house as it'll hurt your live feeders and i'm not so sure it'll be ok for your beardie, but you can use it around the doors where the ants are getting in, and you can use peppermint oil to repel them inside the house.

I hope when you said 'cage' you didn't mean an actual cage, as it would be pretty impossible to get the correct temperature in a cage.

Sonador

Original Poster
I think it would be appreciated if next time, you create your own thread, please? No need to drag up an old one. c:

I think your plan looks fine, good luck with your new friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom