Feeding Shedules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonador

I'm not exactly sure what feeding schedule I should use for my beardie. She is four years old, and has MBD. Wasn't my fault, previous owners didn't know anything about lizards. ANYWAYS. I did do research before getting her, but I never figured out a good, sturdy schedule. I'm not a super busy person. I'm at school from 7:30 A.M to 3:00 P.M and usually, the rest of my day is free...do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Sona

(P.s I don't have any access to hornworms, phoenix worms, silk worms and roaches...just throwing that out there.)

tweet0302

Juvie Member
What time does it lights come on and off your suppose to feed it after they bask for about a hr or two but since your beardie is older it's supposedly to eat more vegs then prey 20% prey and 80% vegs they like collard,mustard,kale stay away from ice burg lettuce and make sure your dust its food

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Try preparing a salad in the morning before you go to school and offer that. When you get home, you can give it 35 superworms or crickets. It might be easier for your beardie to eat supers since they don't hop around. Start slowly with the supers though, since they do have a harder shell than she may be used to. Maybe give one or two for a couple of days to make sure she's digesting them properly. You'll want to dust them with a calcium powder just about every other day or so and with a vitamin powder once a week.

Superworms are available at Petsmart/Petco for around $5 for 50. If you can order them online, I've usually ordered 200 for $10 shipped and it'll last me about a month.

Sonador

Original Poster
randommonks":622iohbv said:
Try preparing a salad in the morning before you go to school and offer that. When you get home, you can give it 35 superworms or crickets.

So...veggies in the morning, insects in the afternoon, and...what about UVB? When should I turn it on, and when should I turn it off? Same with the basking light...?

Thanks for your help.

i just got my baby boy today and im not sure about the feeding schedule. he is 4-6 months i fed him 6-8 crickets today without the calcium since i kinda forgot to get it lol opps illl be getting it first thing tomorrow but anyways i need to know about a feeding schedule i got crickets and i got mealworms. i am also going to be getting cricket cubes that are the main food and water for them as well as spring mix salad for him for everyday feeding. so far i plan on doing the spring mix salad everyday then do crickets one day and mealworms the next just change between the 2. my main ? is do i have to spray anything with water and what about baby carrots and a harness for him??

tweet0302

Juvie Member
Yeah make sure u get calcium powder an hertivite actually you don't need a leash as of yet an mealworms aren't good for him you should get dubias,phoenix worms makes sure his lights are on for twelve hrs a day feed after his lights been on for about two hours give him vegs an then some crics

tweet0302

Juvie Member
Oh yeah you can make a chow yourself with cat food,wheat bran ,oat bran, fish food make sure you blend it together an to save your money you can buy weather crystals from home depot or walmart

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Sonador":1x44mcc9 said:
randommonks":1x44mcc9 said:
Try preparing a salad in the morning before you go to school and offer that. When you get home, you can give it 35 superworms or crickets.

So...veggies in the morning, insects in the afternoon, and...what about UVB? When should I turn it on, and when should I turn it off? Same with the basking light...?

Thanks for your help.

Whoops that should say 35 supers and crickets A WEEK. Sorry!

As for UVB, turn on lights around 6-7 am and turn off lights around 8 or 9 pm, including basking and UVB lights. She doesn't need any kind of lighting at night unless your temps fall below 65F, in which case you can use a ceramic heat emitter which gives off no light.

Sonador

Original Poster
(Sorry to bring up a semi-old topic but I had a question.)

I designed a rough feeding schedule, would it work? Definitely looking for advice on how to improve this schedule, as I'm very new to Bearded Dragons:

Four superworms a day, fresh kale salad every day.

Calci-Blast three times a week. (My Beardie was a rescue...she has a rather severe case of MBD.)

-

Soak every other day.

Dust worms every other day.

-

Heat lamp and UVB light on from 7:00 A.M to 9:30 P.M.

-

Feed at 9:25.
~

tweet0302

Juvie Member
If the lights turn off at 930 feed him/ her two hours before the lights turn off so that mean feed around seven o clock that give it time too digest its food before it goes to sleep and feed two hrs after lights turn on

vampy

Juvie Member
Sonador":2fuhmvgz said:
(Sorry to bring up a semi-old topic but I had a question.)

I designed a rough feeding schedule, would it work? Definitely looking for advice on how to improve this schedule, as I'm very new to Bearded Dragons:

Ditch the kale and go with a different dark leafy green..kale can inhibit calcium absorption, which is the last thing you want in an MBD dragon. Collard, turnip, dandelion, or mustard greens are all fine, among others. You might wanna add some butternut or other squash to the salad daily for colour and variety, and other veggies from time to time. There's a great list here of what you can feed them as a staple or just sometimes: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

4 or 5 supers a day is fine.

The bathing and dusting routine is fine, though you probably want to add multivitamins to your dusting schedule as well as the calcium. The site linked above gives recommended dusting schedules too, though many people don't do it as much as they say, normally 3 times a week with calcium and once a week with vitamins.

If you want to have the lights on all that time (14.5 hours is a little long, though if you make it shorter in winter that's fine), then I'd put the veggies in first thing in the morning before you leave, she probably won't touch them until she is warmed up, but that's ok, then I'd give the worms sometime in the evening, 7.30pm at the latest if the lights are off at 9.30.

Sonador":2po4kj1n said:
(Sorry to bring up a semi-old topic but I had a question.

-

Feed at 9:25.
~

Definitely want to fix that last part. If your lights go out at 930 and your feeding at 9 25 thats giving him/her no time to digest the food. You need at least and hour or two to let them digest. I know i did this once and my beardie threw up in the morning.

-xICooRsYIx

Sonador

Original Poster
(Is this better?)

Four superworms a day, fresh kale salad every day.

Calci-Blast three times a week.
-

Soak every other day.

Dust worms with calcium and multi-vitamins every other day.

-

-

Feed worms at 7:25 P.M, veggies at 7:05

~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom