Feeding in Seperate Tank??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnicholson

I have had Samson for 2 months now. He lives in a 30gal tank and I have always fed him in his tank. We are preparing to make him a 4x2x2 tank and I wanted to get him used to eating his crickets in a seperate tank. I had an old 10gal tank that I used for our hermit crabs but since we don't have any anymore I decided to use it for the crickets. Well I tried it today and it didn't go so well. We only put 5 or 6 crickets in the tank and the first time we put him in they attacked him. The second time I put a bowl of shredded carrots in with the crickets so they wouldn't attack him. I put him in and he was trying to scratch his way out of the tank. He got stress marks and his beard turned really black so I took him out. How do I get him to eat in the other tank...I hate moving the furniture in his tank everytime I feed him so the crickets can't hide.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
it was suggested to me to put him in another tank to eat as well, the easiest thing for me was to let phoenix in the bathroom and release one of whatever i was feeding to him and let him get that, then another and so on, i let him eat until he was full, because with me dropping one by one it took forever. I just plugged under the doors so neither of them could escape and now hes fine with it...

I just got my order of 1000 crickets from Fluckers. Maybe ill put him in the tupperware box and let her go mad! haha. No but the bathtub could work as a feeding tank idea too. She is still only about 7" long

Seig

Hatchling Member
The entire point of feeding them in a separate tank is so that when they are done, you don't have to worry about missing what they didn't eat. If you are feeding them an insect that can attack them later, this is a major plus. Superworms have a way of hiding so that you find a ton of them when you clean the tank.
I usually feed them in a separate tank, but if I don't, I spend is much time rounding up escapees as I do feeding.

lnicholson

Original Poster
Yes Crickets bite beardies! My poor Samson has been bitten a few times :( Thats why I like to feed him in a seperate tanks. Since I posted Samson has gotten used to eating in a seperate tank. He doesn't freak out anymore when I put him in but I can't have a ton of crickets either. I try to put 5 at a time if I put more he freaks. It's a lot easier because that way I don't have to go hunting for crickets that he didn't eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom