Fake Rock Wall building

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have only had our 3 1/2 month old Beardie "Ziggy" for 2 weeks but thought that we should give him a place he could call home so decided to build a fake rock wall set up with cool cave and ledges for climbing. Thought you might like a look!

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

If anyone wants to know any details, see individual photos or know costs please contact and I can give you details.

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
Very nice!!! I love the last picture where he's hanging out in the corner...awesome job! He looks happy!

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Looks nice, I'd replace the wood chips if I were you though. Lots of risk using loose substrates, especially something like that.

Lukesdragon

Original Poster
Hi thanks for your comments - what substrate do you recommend? This is what I was advised to use by the seller, I would like to use sand but they told me not to ..... Do you suggest reptile carpet?

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Actually sifted playsand is much better than the wood chips... but still iffy. I'd recommend looking into slate tile (maybe even ceramic... just nothing too smooth), non-adhesive shelf liner, or repti-carpet is pretty good too. Some people use paper towels or newspaper, they're easy and safe (just throw it away when soiled) but they look kinda bleh to me so I don't use it. I personally have some shelf-liner down, with slate tile covering about 2/3 of it. I've also used the repti-carpet stuff too, and that's fine but it just holds in smell like a champ... so you'd have to either deal with your place smelling like a pet shop, or wash it religiously.

Lukesdragon

Original Poster
Ok thanks - I will consider the options and have taken your comments on board : thanks - I will look into slate tiles I think - I don't think my mum would be happy with the smell or the washing of the the repti-carpet!!!!!

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
I did the repti-carpet deal - you'd need almost 2 of them, one in the viv while other is being washed & dried, PITB if you ask me. While I don't have slate yet (one of these days), I use the non-adhesive shelf liner (black). It's pretty cool looking and SUPER easy to clean. It comes in other colors as well. I had a sandy look color before when Angie was in her first viv - looked sort of natural looking too. I do have a piece of slate in her viv, just not all over, which eventually I'd like to do.

RULDS2

I really like what you have done with the walls... just when I thought I was done. I see another project in my near future! I have used several types of substrate so far. Done the paper towel/newspaper thing, didn't like the look. One terrarium has natural sandstone flagstone that has been sealed and cut to fit in a random, irregular pattern... looks sharp. My other I used styrafoam and grout and made artificial flagstones, I was quite happy with how they turned out. Both are fairly easy to clean when they have been sealed and are GREAT for keeping my beardies nails short.

Lukesdragon

Original Poster
Thanks - that is a really good idea: I still have half a sheet of polystyrene & some grout maybe I will make the floor too!

Lukesdragon

Original Poster
Only one problem though - the heat mat! If I cover it with polystyrene/slate (or whatever) the heat won't come through! How do I get around that problem?

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
You shouldn't be using a heat mat anyway. Beardies have difficulty feeling heat on their belly, so if you have a heat mat or heat rock, you run the risk of them burning themselves on their underside. Only heat source you really need is a basking bulb and a ceramic heat emitter (but the che is only necessary if your night temps drop below like, 65 F or so).

Lukesdragon

Original Poster
Ohh really, I was sold all these things as a package when I brought my beardie - I am beginning to wonder whether the seller actually knows what they are doing!! I want to do things right for my little guy!!!!

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Yeah, unfortunately being told things like that is pretty common in sellers. It's a business to them, so if they can get you to buy more crap, they make more money. Granted, there are honest people out there, but I'm pretty much of the mind that I take everything I'm told by a salesperson with a bit of caution.

RULDS2

I have never tried it, but I hear some people use the heating pads on the end of their tanks if they need more heat, say in winter or something.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
You hear eh? Well even so, the facts stand. They can't feel the heat underneath them, so they can burn themselves easily if it's too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom