Eyes closed, trouble eating, not moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1sootc4o said:
Reptilelady":1sootc4o said:
Hi,
I'm sorry that your beardie having eye closed. Just quick tip, the only thing that should be on right now is your basking heat lamp which is the 75w bulb and the long linear UVB tube. Please do not use any night lights. I see in the photo that there is a night light bulb please get rid of this. They need complete darkness to sleep at night, having any light will disrupt their third eye and cause them to be awake. NEVER USE THE COIL BULBS, THEY ARE HORRIBLE. I dont see any loose substrate that would possibly get something in eye but if she doesn't get better in the next couple days or so i would schedule an appointment with a certified reptile vet.

Yes .... if the vet is not a Herp or reptile vet , they can do more harm than good as they only get one trimester of lectures that deal with reptile health and reptile medicine in the entire degree and very few get hands on experience with reptiles.

I think just the one 75W globe and the 10%UVB tube will fix her problems .

If it's hot during the day (heat wave conditions , hotter than 90 degF say , I'd only run the UVB tube , this is what people do here in Australia during really hot weather for their pet reptiles.

I wish it was that hot it is roughly 70 degrees in our room and 71 outside.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
pinkrambo13":1k6y15u0 said:
kingofnobbys":1k6y15u0 said:
If you have spare ceramic bread & butter plate it'll be perfect for her as her wading pond and heavy enough that she can't tip it and spill the water.

I have mounted the T8 inside of the enclosure I have a thermometer sitting on her basking Rock seeing how hot her basking spot is now so all I have running now is the the 78 watt bulb household bulb. And the mounted UV light mounted with glorious zip ties. I put her in the water she does not seem to want to stay in the water at all. Hopefully all this makes a difference and it'll all be okay. If this doesn't make the difference I feel like I've tried everything. I already feel very very defeated. You've all been so helpful but nothing seems to be helping my little buddy

Try to get some water into her too .... if she's been cooked , she'll be very dehydrate .
Best approach is an eyedropper , deposit a few drops on her snout , it'll drain to her lips and if she's thirsty and well enough , she'll drink them.
Might help if you add some fruit juice to the water to make it taste nicer to her to encourage her to drink it if this is her first time drinking this way.
if this doesn't work use a syringe with nozzle to get small amounts of water into the side of her mouth (not more than 0.2ml at a time and give in these small squirts til she's satisfied , ONLY TINY portions , else you risk her aspirating some water.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2yjcfdlr said:
pinkrambo13":2yjcfdlr said:
kingofnobbys":2yjcfdlr said:
If you have spare ceramic bread & butter plate it'll be perfect for her as her wading pond and heavy enough that she can't tip it and spill the water.

I have mounted the T8 inside of the enclosure I have a thermometer sitting on her basking Rock seeing how hot her basking spot is now so all I have running now is the the 78 watt bulb household bulb. And the mounted UV light mounted with glorious zip ties. I put her in the water she does not seem to want to stay in the water at all. Hopefully all this makes a difference and it'll all be okay. If this doesn't make the difference I feel like I've tried everything. I already feel very very defeated. You've all been so helpful but nothing seems to be helping my little buddy

Try to get some water into her too .... if she's been cooked , she'll be very dehydrate .
Best approach is an eyedropper , deposit a few drops on her snout , it'll drain to her lips and if she's thirsty and well enough , she'll drink them.
Might help if you add some fruit juice to the water to make it taste nicer to her to encourage her to drink it if this is her first time drinking this way.
if this doesn't work use a syringe with nozzle to get small amounts of water into the side of her mouth (not more than 0.2ml at a time and give in these small squirts til she's satisfied , ONLY TINY portions , else you risk her aspirating some water.

Okay sounds good I will try and get her to drink. I am trying measure the temp in the tank as of right now the regular bulb isn't providing the heat I think she needs

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
pinkrambo13":dq2wn132 said:
kingofnobbys":dq2wn132 said:
pinkrambo13":dq2wn132 said:
kingofnobbys":dq2wn132 said:

Okay sounds good I will try and get her to drink. I am trying measure the temp in the tank as of right now the regular bulb isn't providing the heat I think she needs

The only heat bulb in the tank which is the 75 watt household bulb is producing 90 degrees for her. That is on her basking spot. Nothing else is heated. Is that okay?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
pinkrambo13":1lgau2wc said:
kingofnobbys":1lgau2wc said:
kingofnobbys":1lgau2wc said:

The only heat bulb in the tank which is the 75 watt household bulb is producing 90 degrees for her. That is on her basking spot. Nothing else is heated. Is that okay?

Will have to do , least until you get a digital thermometer (with remote probe on a long cable) and can get an accurate temperature measurement.

Is she shows any distress symptoms or it's really hot in the house, turn off the 75W bulb.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
pinkrambo13":3pwebf65 said:
kingofnobbys":3pwebf65 said:
pinkrambo13":3pwebf65 said:
kingofnobbys":3pwebf65 said:

The only heat bulb in the tank which is the 75 watt household bulb is producing 90 degrees for her. That is on her basking spot. Nothing else is heated. Is that okay?[/quote]

Will have to do , least until you get a digital thermometer (with remote probe on a long cable) and can get an accurate temperature measurement.

Is she shows any distress symptoms or it's really hot in the house, turn off the 75W bulb.[/quote]

Is it a thermometer with like the liquid inside more reliable than the dial have? I am so defeated right now. I can't fix her

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
pinkrambo13":2jwn4kb6 said:
kingofnobbys":2jwn4kb6 said:
kingofnobbys":2jwn4kb6 said:

Is she shows any distress symptoms or it's really hot in the house, turn off the 75W bulb.[/quote]

Is it a thermometer with like the liquid inside more reliable than the dial have? I am so defeated right now. I can't fix her[/quote]

Only analytic bulb thermometers are accurate and calibrated.
ie
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboratory_thermometer

Cheap junk sold in petshops are not and often seen in houses are not.

I use a brace of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Reptile/172452294173?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3D2f7042e06fbf49ef8ed29ef34ebfc083%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D391259141696 in each viv and rearing tub.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3lx3wlqd said:
pinkrambo13":3lx3wlqd said:
kingofnobbys":3lx3wlqd said:

Okay sounds good I will try and get her to drink. I am trying measure the temp in the tank as of right now the regular bulb isn't providing the heat I think she needs[/quote]

The only heat bulb in the tank which is the 75 watt household bulb is producing 90 degrees for her. That is on her basking spot. Nothing else is heated. Is that okay?[/quote]

Is it a thermometer with like the liquid inside more reliable than the dial have? I am so defeated right now. I can't fix her[/quote]

ie

I use a brace of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-LCD-

Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Reptile/172452294173?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3D2f7042e06fbf49ef8ed29ef34ebfc083%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D391259141696 in each viv and rearing tub.[/quote]

94226-6927550048.jpg

What about these ones?

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
pinkrambo13":1oaa7wzg said:
kingofnobbys":1oaa7wzg said:
pinkrambo13":1oaa7wzg said:
kingofnobbys":1oaa7wzg said:

ie

I use a brace of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-LCD-

Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Reptile/172452294173?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3D2f7042e06fbf49ef8ed29ef34ebfc083%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D391259141696 in each viv and rearing tub.[/quote]

94226-6927550048.jpg

What about these ones?[/quote]

She seems to keep her eyes open just so long enough to eat. And then she'll just opened up every once in awhile to just check up check what's going on then close them up again

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm sorry, I haven't been on since I responded to you originally due to some work issues...I agree with everyone here that you were originally using too much heat and too many bulbs. You only need 2 lights for that size enclosure, a long 10.0 UVB tube (T8 mounted INSIDE AND UNDER THE SCREEN within 6-8" from his basking spot, T5 on top of mesh lid but still within 11" of his baskingopposite g spot), and a single, bright white basking bulb, preferably a regular household halogen indoor flood bulb, although the ZooMed Intense Basking Spot bulbs are also good, like the 75 watt you have, but it seems like you may need a higher wattage basking bulb if the 75 watt isn't getting the temps into the correct ranges. Never use ANY coil bulbs, ANY COLORED bulbs, and no nighttime heat source at all!!! They want their nighttime temps to drop well below their daytime temperatures, just as they do naturally in the desert. So as long as his tank stays at 65 degrees at night he needs zero nighttime heat source, especially no lights. The CHE would be the appropriate nighttime heat source if you needed one, but if your house stays between 65-75 at night then he's fine.

So if you've got your T8 10.0 UVB tube mounted inside the tank, under the lid (that 13 watt UVB compact bulb you had was part of the eye issues, though I think he's just been cooked), and you've got the single, bright white basking bulb right alongside the UVB tube and both over his basking spot (you're trying to replicate natural sunlight as closely as possible over his basking spot), then you need to use ONLY A DIGITAL PROBE THERMOMETER TO MEASURE HIS TEMPS!!! No stick-on thermometers at all, they are off by 20 degrees or more and you can't measure his basking spot at all with one. The digital probe thermometers you posted a photo of are exactly what you need...

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
EllenD":2uazz2xw said:
I'm sorry, I haven't been on since I responded to you originally due to some work issues...I agree with everyone here that you were originally using too much heat and too many bulbs. You only need 2 lights for that size enclosure, a long 10.0 UVB tube (T8 mounted INSIDE AND UNDER THE SCREEN within 6-8" from his basking spot, T5 on top of mesh lid but still within 11" of his baskingopposite g spot), and a single, bright white basking bulb, preferably a regular household halogen indoor flood bulb, although the ZooMed Intense Basking Spot bulbs are also good, like the 75 watt you have, but it seems like you may need a higher wattage basking bulb if the 75 watt isn't getting the temps into the correct ranges. Never use ANY coil bulbs, ANY COLORED bulbs, and no nighttime heat source at all!!! They want their nighttime temps to drop well below their daytime temperatures, just as they do naturally in the desert. So as long as his tank stays at 65 degrees at night he needs zero nighttime heat source, especially no lights. The CHE would be the appropriate nighttime heat source if you needed one, but if your house stays between 65-75 at night then he's fine.

So if you've got your T8 10.0 UVB tube mounted inside the tank, under the lid (that 13 watt UVB compact bulb you had was part of the eye issues, though I think he's just been cooked), and you've got the single, bright white basking bulb right alongside the UVB tube and both over his basking spot (you're trying to replicate natural sunlight as closely as possible over his basking spot), then you need to use ONLY A DIGITAL PROBE THERMOMETER TO MEASURE HIS TEMPS!!! No stick-on thermometers at all, they are off by 20 degrees or more and you can't measure his basking spot at all with one. The digital probe thermometers you posted a photo of are exactly what you need...

I am doing all the things you are saying. Just the T8 bulb underneath the best thing as well as the 75 watt bulb. She seems to be sleeping still not stop. Is it possible she's doing that hibernation thing? I just want to be able to see some sort of results from all this. Because right now all I'm seeing is she'll wake up up in her eyes for a little bit move to a different spot fall asleep.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
So once you get the 10.0 T8 UVB tube mounted inside the tank at a distance of 6-8" within his basking spot at a max, and then put the 75 watt bright white basking bulb right alongside the UVB tube and both over his basking spot, and you get a digital probe thermometer ($10 at any Petco or PetSmart by the way), then you need to measure his basking spot, his hot side ambient, and his Cool Side ambient temperatures. Make sure that you allow the probe to sit on the spot you're measuring for at least 20-30 minutes EACH TIME BEFORE MEASURING THE TEMPERATURE. So put the probe on the basking spot, let it sit for 20-30 minutes, then read the temperature. Then move the probe to the floor of the Hot Side (surrounding the basking spot), let it sit for 20.30 minutes, then read the temperature, then move the probe to the floor of the opposite Cool Side, let it sit for 20-30 minutes, then read the temps....

Basking Spot (for a baby/juvenile): between 105-110 maximum!!!

Hot Side ambient: between 88-93 maximum!!!

Cool Side Ambient: between 75-80 maximum!!!

Nighttime should drop considerably, he needs no nighttime heat source at all if it stays at 65 or above, should stay below 75...

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
No, shes far too young for brumation. Did you get a digital probe thermometer? If so, what are her 3 temperatures? It may take a few days under the UVB tube unobstructed plus being within the correct temperature zones to perk her up...

What brand of UVB tube did you buy? Is it a 10.0 T8 (instead of a 5.0)? Is it within 6-8" of her basking spot?

What has she been eating recently, and how much? Are her poops normal looking and smelling? Is she very dark in color or bright? I'm assuming this has to do with her temps being off and the UVB being inadequate, along with the coil bulb hurting her eyes, it can take a good solid week for them in the correct conditions to perk up. That's not to say that she doesn't possibly have parasites/worms or a bacterial infection, that's very common when they first come home from the pet shop. But getting her temps and lighting set up correctly and within the correct distance is step #1.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I know you're frustrated, it's a process getting their setups correct, as bearded dragons have extremely specific lighting and temperature needs, without theses needs met exactly they cannot manufacture vitamin D3, cannot digest or absorb any nutrition including the Calcium and multivitamin powders you give them, and they basically just get extremely lethargic and lose their appetites. I'm trying to make sure that you've got exactly the correct UVB light mounted unobstructed and within the correct distance from her basking spot, and also that you've gotten a proper probe thermometer to measure her temps with, because without a probe thermometer you're just guessing. Once we know that her 3 temperatures are within the correct ranges and are being measured with a probe thermometer, you.may need to go to a higher wattage of bright white basking bulb. Usually it takes a 100 watt halogen indoor flood bulb to get a 40 gallon breeder tank to the correct temps, so that may be your issue. If she's not basking on her basking spot between 105-110 degrees as a young baby, she's too cold. And if her hot side and cool side are too hot or too cold then this also messes them up.

Once we know that everything is set up correctly, the temps are correct, etc. then you've got to move on to the possibility of parasites or a bacterial infection. But one step at a time.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
EllenD":1j49qwoi said:
No, shes far too young for brumation. Did you get a digital probe thermometer? If so, what are her 3 temperatures? It may take a few days under the UVB tube unobstructed plus being within the correct temperature zones to perk her up...

What brand of UVB tube did you buy? Is it a 10.0 T8 (instead of a 5.0)? Is it within 6-8" of her basking spot?

What has she been eating recently, and how much? Are her poops normal looking and smelling? Is she very dark in color or bright? I'm assuming this has to do with her temps being off and the UVB being inadequate, along with the coil bulb hurting her eyes, it can take a good solid week for them in the correct conditions to perk up. That's not to say that she doesn't possibly have parasites/worms or a bacterial infection, that's very common when they first come home from the pet shop. But getting her temps and lighting set up correctly and within the correct distance is step #1.

Unfortunately none of the pet stores around me have those type of thermometers for sale right now they're all sold out. I ordered some on Amazon hopefully they will get here by Monday or Tuesday. As of right now I think the temperatures are pretty close to correct. But as you said I do not have the correct thermometer. The lighting however is for sure in the right distances. Also unfortunately I have to go home and my roommate will be watching her all weekend and taking care of her so only be getting updates. Sadly I had a family emergency in which I cannot take my lizard with me and my roommate will be able to wash her and take care of her. She's still is not drinking at least not from what I've seen and she definitely has not pooped in 3 days. She seems to be eating normally lots of feeder crickets small ones and she's been eating some of her salad of greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom