Eyes closed, trouble eating, not moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
AHBD":ktkkibdj said:
Right, you don't need the CHE at all unless it gets below 67 in your house at night , like if it's colder in the winter. They can take it colder than that but for a baby I like to have it at least 67.

So how long since she poo'd ? That can be from a couple things....what EXACT size are the crickets ? Can you post pics of them next to a coin ? If they're even slightly too large they can cause impaction. Or if she's dehydrated that could make her constipated. Has she drank anytime since she's been with you ? If she's been too hot + is dehydrated that may cause constipation.

Offer water dripped on her snout ....do it for a minute or so to see if she'll drink. You can drip, stop, repeat until she drinks.

They are small size and I will get a picture when I get back to my room for you. I will try the drip tomorrow for sure. She is sleeping now

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If they're small then it should not be a problem, and yes see if she'll have a drink tomorrow. It's obvious that you care for your little girl and hopefully with a few adjustments she'll be O.K.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
AHBD":11gq3pli said:
If they're small then it should not be a problem, and yes see if she'll have a drink tomorrow. It's obvious that you care for your little girl and hopefully with a few adjustments she'll be O.K.

Here is the cricket on the quarter
94226-6603982486.jpg

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
AHBD":13d9ioum said:
Hi there, I know Ellen will get back to you but until then I think you def. need to turn off the ceramic heater and possibly even the other basking bulb. If you have to choose, turn off the CHE, the other light will brighten the tank [ if you need that much heat] Her sleepiness may be due to being overheated. I'm pretty sure that's what her problem is, so take care of that ASAP. Offer water dripped on her snout to give her a drink, too. Not if it's late but you can do so tomorrow.

But it's great that she's eating ! I doubt very much that she's blind, beardies aren't really fazed by a hand in front of them if they're in the zone looking at something else.

As for your uvb bulb, is it a t5 or t8 ? It will say on the bulb. If it'd the t8 you can mount it inside by using wire to thread through the screen like I have in this [ bad ] picture. Hope you can see it O.K.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

If it's a t5 you can leave it on top.

Sadly even though I did everything you said she is still having the closed eyes this morning

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
pinkrambo13":lr8sgcjx said:
AHBD":lr8sgcjx said:
Hi there, I know Ellen will get back to you but until then I think you def. need to turn off the ceramic heater and possibly even the other basking bulb. If you have to choose, turn off the CHE, the other light will brighten the tank [ if you need that much heat] Her sleepiness may be due to being overheated. I'm pretty sure that's what her problem is, so take care of that ASAP. Offer water dripped on her snout to give her a drink, too. Not if it's late but you can do so tomorrow.

<<< I think AHBD is onto something important here, essentially you are cooking your dragon , she's unable to thermoregulate and escape temperatures above it's critical thermal maximum range (Range A in this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516) and as a result it's lost it's locomotive abilities . (You are interpreting as lethargy.)

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT - if you don't lower the temperature IMMEDIATELY , the temperatures she's exposed to WILL BE LETHAL.

For this to be happening the temperatures in the viv have to be above 45 degC.

The Preferred Operating Body Temperature of a bearded dragon is 35 degC.

MAX basking temperature is 43 degC.

You are killing her.

But it's great that she's eating ! I doubt very much that she's blind, beardies aren't really fazed by a hand in front of them if they're in the zone looking at something else.

As for your uvb bulb, is it a t5 or t8 ? It will say on the bulb. If it'd the t8 you can mount it inside by using wire to thread through the screen like I have in this [ bad ] picture. Hope you can see it O.K.

Sadly even though I did everything you said she is still having the closed eyes this morning

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3v2c64ly said:
pinkrambo13":3v2c64ly said:
AHBD":3v2c64ly said:

<<< I think AHBD is onto something important here, essentially you are cooking your dragon , it's unable to thermoregulate and escape temperatures above it's critical thermal maximum range (Range A in this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516) and as a result it's lost it's locomotive abilities . (You are interpreting as lethargy.)

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT - if you don't lower the temperature immediately the temperatures it's exposed to become lethal.

You are killing him.

So the average temp in my tank in the middle of the tank is roughly 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Well the Basking spot in the tank is about 95 to 100. Which is right around what you're saying the temperature is supposed to be. So I do not know what to do. I turned off all the lights and heat stuff last night. And she seemed fine overnight obviously then when I turned on the lights this morning. She's doing it again even though I have less heat in the tank I have less lights going. I just have the UVB. The 75 watt household and the 75 watt basking bulb. I just went ahead and turned off the Basking bulb so right now it is just 75 watt household and the UVB

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
pinkrambo13":4g1xfuk5 said:
94226-3159609768.jpg

This is her with her eyes open which doesn't happen really unless she is being held outside of the enclosure

94226-7187275798.jpg

Eyes closed

94226-4837342007.jpg

Those are all my bulbs. I am no longer using the coil bulb. Due to its badness. I am using a 75 watt basking bulb pictures. A 75 watt normal bulb. Ignore the nighttime bulb. The ceramic heater there in the picture. And I was using a red basking bulb but o returned it because it's apparently bad for her. Then my new uvb bulb is a Reptisun 10.0 tube. <<< is it a T8 or a T5HO ?
...., both are OK tubes , but the T8 needs to be mounted a lot closer to the basking spot than the T5HO. See this for indictation of microW UVB vs distance for a range of globes and tubes : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611
if you can set up the tube in the reflector hood so you are getting 200 microW UVB / sq.cm you will be doing OK and she will be getting ample UVA & UVB .

94226-2163877669.jpg

There is her enclosure there in the picture. The most left bulb is the 75-watt Basking bulb. The middle bald is not actually a bulb it's my ceramic heater the right bulb is a normal 75 watt bulb. And then I don't have the UVB light on but you can see it in the back of all the other light fixtures I don't have it on because I'm giving the lizards eyes a break which is something I read online. I also bought some turtle eye drops. Something else I also read to help the lizards eyes. My thermometer on the cool side is not working but frankly I'm not sure I need the other normal 75 while bulb at all. I could probably get away with the just the Basking bulb in the ceramic heater in the middle of the tank it is roughly 87 degrees. The Basking side is roughly 95 to 100. <<< I suspect this temperature is way out ( the dial thermometer reading at least 10 degree low ) , and you have a viv that is too hot and she is unable to thermoregulate .
So I don't know what the cool side of the tank is going to guess the 75-watt bulb isn't keeping it all that cool.

Anyway please help I'm very scared for my buddy. I've only had her for a week but she means a lot to me I don't want anything bad to happen to her. I don't want to have to take her back to the pet store because I know she'll be killed. And if I can avoid going to the vet that would be wonderful because I'm a poor college student. But I'd like to do whatever I can to fix my buddy. I am here to answer any questions you have I just want her to be okay.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2o9pqwoa said:
pinkrambo13":2o9pqwoa said:
94226-3159609768.jpg

This is her with her eyes open which doesn't happen really unless she is being held outside of the enclosure

94226-7187275798.jpg

Eyes closed

94226-4837342007.jpg

Those are all my bulbs. I am no longer using the coil bulb. Due to its badness. I am using a 75 watt basking bulb pictures. A 75 watt normal bulb. Ignore the nighttime bulb. The ceramic heater there in the picture. And I was using a red basking bulb but o returned it because it's apparently bad for her. Then my new uvb bulb is a Reptisun 10.0 tube. <<< is it a T8 or a T5HO ?
...., both are OK tubes , but the T8 needs to be mounted a lot closer to the basking spot than the T5HO. See this for indictation of microW UVB vs distance for a range of globes and tubes : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611
if you can set up the tube in the reflector hood so you are getting 200 microW UVB / sq.cm you will be doing OK and she will be getting ample UVA & UVB .

94226-2163877669.jpg

There is her enclosure there in the picture. The most left bulb is the 75-watt Basking bulb. The middle bald is not actually a bulb it's my ceramic heater the right bulb is a normal 75 watt bulb. And then I don't have the UVB light on but you can see it in the back of all the other light fixtures I don't have it on because I'm giving the lizards eyes a break which is something I read online. I also bought some turtle eye drops. Something else I also read to help the lizards eyes. My thermometer on the cool side is not working but frankly I'm not sure I need the other normal 75 while bulb at all. I could probably get away with the just the Basking bulb in the ceramic heater in the middle of the tank it is roughly 87 degrees. The Basking side is roughly 95 to 100. <<< I suspect this temperature is way out ( the dial thermometer reading at least 10 degree low ) , and you have a viv that is too hot and she is unable to thermoregulate .
So I don't know what the cool side of the tank is going to guess the 75-watt bulb isn't keeping it all that cool.

Anyway please help I'm very scared for my buddy. I've only had her for a week but she means a lot to me I don't want anything bad to happen to her. I don't want to have to take her back to the pet store because I know she'll be killed. And if I can avoid going to the vet that would be wonderful because I'm a poor college student. But I'd like to do whatever I can to fix my buddy. I am here to answer any questions you have I just want her to be okay.

Okay so I will go ahead and mount the T8 inside of the cage right now. I turned off the Basking bulb so it is just the 75-watt bulb and I put it directly in the middle of the enclosure is that okay? When do you think I should start to see improvements in my lizard? I'm sorry if I am a bad lizard owner I'm trying really hard and this is my first time.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
pinkrambo13":2qwfvvfa said:
kingofnobbys":2qwfvvfa said:
pinkrambo13":2qwfvvfa said:
AHBD":2qwfvvfa said:

<<< I think AHBD is onto something important here, essentially you are cooking your dragon , it's unable to thermoregulate and escape temperatures above it's critical thermal maximum range (Range A in this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516) and as a result it's lost it's locomotive abilities . (You are interpreting as lethargy.)

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT - if you don't lower the temperature immediately the temperatures it's exposed to become lethal.

You are killing him.

So the average temp in my tank in the middle of the tank is roughly 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Well the Basking spot in the tank is about 95 to 100. Which is right around what you're saying the temperature is supposed to be. So I do not know what to do. I turned off all the lights and heat stuff last night. And she seemed fine overnight obviously then when I turned on the lights this morning. She's doing it again even though I have less heat in the tank I have less lights going. I just have the UVB. The 75 watt household and the 75 watt basking bulb. I just went ahead and turned off the Basking bulb so right now it is just 75 watt household and the UVB
That's 150W you are pumping into a tiny viv. That's a LOT OF HEAT for such a tiny volume and small surface area , I recommend removing one of the 75W globes (your choice which) and then double check using a digital thermometer the ACCURATE basking and warm zone temperatures.
Give her a very shallow pool of water (in water bowl that's too small for her to curl up in, essentially she only needs to be able to sit in it or wet her belly in it for it to help her cool, you definitely DO NOT want it deep enough for her to fall asleep and drown in (so no deeper than 5mm).

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
I'm sorry that your beardie having eye closed. Just quick tip, the only thing that should be on right now is your basking heat lamp which is the 75w bulb and the long linear UVB tube. Please do not use any night lights. I see in the photo that there is a night light bulb please get rid of this. They need complete darkness to sleep at night, having any light will disrupt their third eye and cause them to be awake. NEVER USE THE COIL BULBS, THEY ARE HORRIBLE. I dont see any loose substrate that would possibly get something in eye but if she doesn't get better in the next couple days or so i would schedule an appointment with a certified reptile vet.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":kf7zz914 said:
pinkrambo13":kf7zz914 said:
kingofnobbys":kf7zz914 said:
pinkrambo13":kf7zz914 said:
AHBD":kf7zz914 said:

You are killing him.

That's 150W you are pumping into a tiny viv. That's a LOT OF HEAT for such a tiny volume and small surface area , I recommend removing one of the 75W globes (your choice which) and then double check using a digital thermometer the ACCURATE basking and warm zone temperatures.
Give her a very shallow pool of water (in water bowl that's too small for her to curl up in, essentially she only needs to be able to sit in it or wet her belly in it for it to help her cool, you definitely DO NOT want it deep enough for her to fall asleep and drown in (so no deeper than 5mm).

Okay I will try and do that. Hopefully she will be okay. I will probably try and give it to the end of the weekend. Before I take her to the vet. I'm going to see if I can't find a small bowl of water that she can sit in and will stay in for a little bit. I have tried putting your in the water but she keeps just jumping right back out

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Since I know some folks have problems interpreting graphs viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

if the 10% tube is a T8 in a reflector hood , it needs to be about 6 inches above the basking spot to deliver 200 microW UVB / sq.cm.

if the 10% tube is a T5HO in a reflector hood , it needs to be about 10 inches above the basking spot to deliver the same flux of UVB.

If no shaped / polished reflector in the hood , these distances are halved.

If the tube and hood are mounted above the mesh lid , the mesh will block up to 40% of the UVA & UVB , so again the basking spot to tube distance needs to be reduced by 1/0.4 = reduced by 2.5 times..

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you have spare ceramic bread & butter plate it'll be perfect for her as her wading pond and heavy enough that she can't tip it and spill the water.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Reptilelady":9blsb7cz said:
Hi,
I'm sorry that your beardie having eye closed. Just quick tip, the only thing that should be on right now is your basking heat lamp which is the 75w bulb and the long linear UVB tube. Please do not use any night lights. I see in the photo that there is a night light bulb please get rid of this. They need complete darkness to sleep at night, having any light will disrupt their third eye and cause them to be awake. NEVER USE THE COIL BULBS, THEY ARE HORRIBLE. I dont see any loose substrate that would possibly get something in eye but if she doesn't get better in the next couple days or so i would schedule an appointment with a certified reptile vet.

Yes .... if the vet is not a Herp or reptile vet , they can do more harm than good as they only get one trimester of lectures that deal with reptile health and reptile medicine in the entire degree and very few get hands on experience with reptiles.

I think just the one 75W globe and the 10%UVB tube will fix her problems .

If it's hot during the day (heat wave conditions , hotter than 90 degF say , I'd only run the UVB tube , this is what people do here in Australia during really hot weather for their pet reptiles.
A few years ago a chap in SA lost some of his pet lizards during a heat wave, he wet to work with basking and UVB lights on , and the temperature hit over 45 degC during the day , he came home to find some of his pets dead and the rest in thermal distress.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1epxsz3m said:
If you have spare ceramic bread & butter plate it'll be perfect for her as her wading pond and heavy enough that she can't tip it and spill the water.

I have mounted the T8 inside of the enclosure I have a thermometer sitting on her basking Rock seeing how hot her basking spot is now so all I have running now is the the 78 watt bulb household bulb. And the mounted UV light mounted with glorious zip ties. I put her in the water she does not seem to want to stay in the water at all. Hopefully all this makes a difference and it'll all be okay. If this doesn't make the difference I feel like I've tried everything. I already feel very very defeated. You've all been so helpful but nothing seems to be helping my little buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinny2010b
Top Bottom