eye color

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Blue eyes are a trait passed down from the original Leucistic lines from years ago. With all the outbreeding/crossbreeding of the Leucistic line into other color morphs the blue eye trait has been all but lost. There are a few that are born with the blue eyes but it is random as far as being passed down. There are breeders working to bring this trait back but it will take years. I have seen true blue eyes leucistics go for around 800 dollars because of the eye color alone.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Brian mentions the luecistic lines and I'm am not sure if the translucent lines are the same line or similar, but, here is a snippet from a breeder of the transluscent lines:

Quote:
Originating from European stock, these animals have provided the genetics for some of the more interesting morphs of the 21st century. We coined the term “translucents” for these animals due to their nearly see-through appearance. Juveniles and some adults are semi-transparent, and in some the hemipenes are visible through the skin. Ghostly in appearance, these dragons lack white pigment and many have jet black or dark blue eyes. End Quote

Some of the hypo-trans lines (snow-hypomelanistic crossed with transluscents) will sometimes show the blue eyes. I have seen a snow with intense blue eyes, the mother of one of my adult females. The trait is rare, but, as Brian mentioned, some breeders are focused on bringing the trait back out, the breeder from the quote above is getting many with the black or blue eyes currently.

junebug82

Hatchling Member
DragonMomSandy":b0f15 said:
Brian mentions the luecistic lines and I'm am not sure if the translucent lines are the same line or similar, but, here is a snippet from a breeder of the transluscent lines:

Quote:
Originating from European stock, these animals have provided the genetics for some of the more interesting morphs of the 21st century. We coined the term “translucents” for these animals due to their nearly see-through appearance. Juveniles and some adults are semi-transparent, and in some the hemipenes are visible through the skin. Ghostly in appearance, these dragons lack white pigment and many have jet black or dark blue eyes. End Quote

Some of the hypo-trans lines (snow-hypomelanistic crossed with transluscents) will sometimes show the blue eyes. I have seen a snow with intense blue eyes, the mother of one of my adult females. The trait is rare, but, as Brian mentioned, some breeders are focused on bringing the trait back out, the breeder from the quote above is getting many with the black or blue eyes currently.

Sandy do you have a link to this breeders site? I would love to see theses beautiful dragons!

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Actually, it's Sandfire Dragon Ranch. I am now hesitant to order any dragons from them, I found out recently that they whole sale to the big pet chains, and are selling tiny babies. Sandfire was one of the best out there, over 20 years experience, but I was rather disappointed to hear this. I know they still produce healthy stock, but I just disagree with the practice of selling babies under 6 to 8 inches in bulk quantities to big chain pet stores. Check their hypo-transluscent line, thats where you'll find the info.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
DragonMomSandy":733ac said:
Actually, it's Sandfire Dragon Ranch. I am now hesitant to order any dragons from them, I found out recently that they whole sale to the big pet chains, and are selling tiny babies. Sandfire was one of the best out there, over 20 years experience, but I was rather disappointed to hear this. I know they still produce healthy stock, but I just disagree with the practice of selling babies under 6 to 8 inches in bulk quantities to big chain pet stores. Check their hypo-transluscent line, thats where you'll find the info.

Many big breeders sell large holesale lots to pet stores. In the holesale world, its a different ball game from retail. Accepted size is 3-5 inches. This is based on the ideal that most stores wont sell dragons quickly so the animals will still have time to grow prior to being purchased. I do not personally agree with holesaling any reptiles but you can not damn a company for doing so. Sandfire is a pioneer of this industry and no matter if they have a holesale division or not they are still a great company to buy from

fuzz

Original Poster
Hope this works!

steven1-1.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture004.jpg

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Brian
I am aware that Sandfire is a pioneer in the hobby and breeding, they've been doing it for over 20 years. I also mentioned in my post that they are one of the best out there and they still produce healthy babies. I just disagree with the sale of babies under 6 inches and I know they sell mass quantities in that 3 to 5 inch range. I'm not telling anyone else not to buy from them, if they do, they will get a beautiful dragon, however, for myself I have chosen not to purchase from them, I prefer to stick with small, reputable breeders, like yourself, Tom or Lance. I know in the past I've seen you steamed over breeders at shows selling babies too small, and that you won't do the same. Yeah, I understand the wholesale thing, truly I do, I just wish that all the bigger breeders would wait just a week or two longer for the safety of the babies. And, I know, they have to grab the sales when they can get them, especially now, and feeding costs for hundreds, even thousands of babies can get extremely high and cut severly into profit. Kind of a vicious circle.

twyliteskyz

Hatchling Member
its a matter of principle, you cannot tell me to look at a tiny baby who should still be at the breeders, but is now sifting through sand in a under lite cage is ok , because well they've been doing it the longest so thier grandfathered in. regards to how all of your babies end up is part of who the breeders are in my opinion if knowingly selling them like that, and ill never speak highly of them until they stop selling them that way

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Fuzz, I can really see that incredible blue in that last photo-the sexy pose! What a handsome dragon you have. The eyes are truly gorgeous, kind of a unique feature in him! :D

**Sorry about the brief hi-jack!**

gizmo17

Hatchling Member
i go to this reptile zoo in toronto and there is 2 females and 1 male beardie and one of the females has blue eyes its so pretty! never saw another one till u posted the pic so thanks :blob8: :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom