Explosive Diarrhea?

Shard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Xion (she-on)
So Xion's always had this incredibly nasty smelling poop, though I didn't have anything to compare it to since I haven't had a beardie in a long time. Whenever she'd go you'd hear this LOUD WET FART as liquid would launch out behind her before the log.

Well, it got worse.

Now, every time it's just a pile of foul smelling, half-digested mush. I tried adjusting her diet, I tried getting hotter lamps. I'm worried she has parasites.
The thing is that otherwise she behaves pretty normal, pretty active and a great eater.

We haven't found a vet around here yet that could take her, is there anything else to try before going to the vet?
I found this product to treat parasites, but I'm not sure on the safety or effectiveness of it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So Xion's always had this incredibly nasty smelling poop, though I didn't have anything to compare it to since I haven't had a beardie in a long time. Whenever she'd go you'd hear this LOUD WET FART as liquid would launch out behind her before the log.

Well, it got worse.

Now, every time it's just a pile of foul smelling, half-digested mush. I tried adjusting her diet, I tried getting hotter lamps. I'm worried she has parasites.
The thing is that otherwise she behaves pretty normal, pretty active and a great eater.

We haven't found a vet around here yet that could take her, is there anything else to try before going to the vet?
I found this product to treat parasites, but I'm not sure on the safety or effectiveness of it.
Please take a fecal in to the vet for parasite testing --- NO ENEMAS!!!!! It sounds like Xion has parasites -- what staple insect are you feeding? Are you using a digital probe thermometer to get actual surface basking temps and the UVB your using is a long tube fixture and properly distanced and placed for the screen on the tank???

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't know much about that product but it seems to have a lot of good reviews. Maybe someone here that has used it could chime in ? Drache613 [ one of the mods ] might have some info for you.

So what has she been eating and how do you measure her temps. Can you post a pic of her poo ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Like Karrie mentioned, it's possible that it's parasites.

Poo is poo, and it's not really gonna smell good no matter what, but when it's filling the whole room with stank and it's constantly loose and not formed, it's typically good to get a fecal test just to verify.

Of course, rule out diet issues and temperature issues, but if those are all up to par, it's likely parasites.

Not all parasites need to be treated. Most dragons will have some level of parasites in their system. A normal healthy immune system keeps these numbers in check. It's only when they get out of hand that treatment is necessary.

Never heard of the product you've found.

-Brandon

Shard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Xion (she-on)
what staple insect are you feeding? Are you using a digital probe thermometer to get actual surface basking temps and the UVB your using is a long tube fixture and properly distanced and placed for the screen on the tank???
Staple insect is dubias, don't yet have a digital probe but I should toss it on the shopping list since my mom keeps forgetting, any recommendations? The UVB is a long tube, I can't figure out how to affix it to the inside (there's nowhere I can loop a cord into?) so it's on top of the screen right now.

So what has she been eating and how do you measure her temps. Can you post a pic of her poo ?
Dubias (dusted with calcium D3) & escarole with the occasional treat (like pumpkin or grape)
There's a digital thermometer/hydrometer next to her basking spot, it only reads 83F so I'm not sure how hot the rock's getting.
I'll post a poo pic once she goes today, she goes once a day.

Poo is poo, and it's not really gonna smell good no matter what, but when it's filling the whole room with stank and it's constantly loose and not formed, it's typically good to get a fecal test just to verify.
It's always smelled awful, but lately it's been so bad I need to spray my side of the room lol :LOL: (I aim at the floor on my side just in case) ever since the loose poo started it hasn't stopped, probably been around 2 weeks now (my mom keeps telling me "oh it'll take a bit for the lights to fix it")

Anyone know where I could look for vets, like a site with trusted names or something?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Definitely go out and buy a digital thermometer with probe end, like yesterday. Nothing is more important for a dragons health than proper temperatures. Your temperatures may be ok right now, but you need to know.

What I mentioned earlier about most all dragons having parasites but being able to naturally keep them at bay, a large part of that is proper temperatures. Many parasite medications are rough on the system, so anytime you can avoid it, it's best. And one of the best ways to do that is make sure their basking surface temp is right.

Any brick and mortar petstore will have a digital with probe end thermometer you can pick up for probably less than 10 bucks. I highly suggest you do that ASAP. No point in buying unknown substances online in the hopes that they will work when your issue might simply be your basking site is too cold (or too hot).

At this point, I wouldn't even be worried about a vet yet. First priority is verifying your temperatures.

To reiterate, at the cost of sounding like a broken record, nothing is more important for the health of your dragon than proper temperatures.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Staple insect is dubias, don't yet have a digital probe but I should toss it on the shopping list since my mom keeps forgetting, any recommendations? The UVB is a long tube, I can't figure out how to affix it to the inside (there's nowhere I can loop a cord into?) so it's on top of the screen right now.

Dubias (dusted with calcium D3) & escarole with the occasional treat (like pumpkin or grape)
There's a digital thermometer/hydrometer next to her basking spot, it only reads 83F so I'm not sure how hot the rock's getting.
I'll post a poo pic once she goes today, she goes once a day.

It's always smelled awful, but lately it's been so bad I need to spray my side of the room lol :LOL: (I aim at the floor on my side just in case) ever since the loose poo started it hasn't stopped, probably been around 2 weeks now (my mom keeps telling me "oh it'll take a bit for the lights to fix it")

Anyone know where I could look for vets, like a site with trusted names or something?
Zoo med makes the digital probe thermometers - for reference for vets www.arav.org
If your in a small town type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you-

Shard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Xion (she-on)
Poop pic incoming, hope the spoiler function works.
1703644123394.jpg
Also digital thermometer has been ordered!

Also found a meat thermometer, wanted to see if I could hold it to her basking rock...not sure how accurate it is since it's supposed to be stuck into meat, but it only gets up to 88F...mom's not gonna be happy to hear the light upgrade wasn't enough 😔 (currently it's two 75 watt bulbs)

Last edited:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It doesn't look as bad as I thought it was gonna, but it definitely looks a bit undigested. The meat probe probably isn't too far off, but I wouldn't rely on it. Probes need to be left in place for 5-10 minutes to get a good reading. Wait until you get your thermometer in before deciding on what to do about changing or moving bulbs to accommodate a better temperature.

Sometimes just changing the type of bulb or the fixture it's housed in is all that's needed (as opposed to using two bulbs).

-Brandon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom