Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I'm new on here and am going to be getting a bearded dragon. I am making its enclosure right now and it's getting kinda expensive (I was told it would). So here are a couple questions about it. 1) is the flower pot in the first picture ok to use and how big of a hole do I need to cut for a bearded dragon? 2) is there any specific things I need to add to it decor wise? (I'm taking back the tile I bought because it's gloss and I'm getting a lid and lights this weekend). 3) what lighting do I need the tank is a 36x12 and is it ok to use dome lighting or do I need to get tube lighting/ is done ok for just basking? Also I will be upgrading enclosure later the one I have atm is a 30 long and I'm getting a 55 long in a couple months. Thank you.
91886-9928550543.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks good so far. You can use the flower pot as a hide. A young dragon probably won't need much clearance. A couple of inches should do. You can expand the entrance if needed later on. If budget is getting tight, I advise putting the priority on high quality UVB lighting. Get a nice T5 (22'' size is good for most tanks) and fixture w/reflector like this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ It will output excellent basking levels of UVB from about 12'' above the basking area (rock outcrop in this case).

I would also get a couple of digital thermometers w/probes so you can monitor the temps on the basking surface and on the cool side https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ or an IR temp gun for spot checks like this https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK

For a basking/heat light you can use a PAR38 halogen flood light. The wattage you get will depend on the heat output but I'd start with a 75w and see how that works. You can put them on a dimming thermostat or manual lamp dimmer to fine tune the output if needed but it should get pretty close to proper temperature gradients on it's own. I look for about 100-110 on the basking surface and between about 75-80 or so on the cool side with a nice gradient between.

You may also want to pick up something for the bottom. I suggest something that is solid and easy to clean like non adhesive shelf liner or ceramic tile. Fleece works well too if you want something that is soft and can be thrown in the washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom