Emergency vet for sudden illness, wouldn't move. Possibly tumor (passed away)

Amalgamates

Beardie name(s)
Nancy
EDIT: I love you Nancy, R.I.P., she died of these health complications. Thread kept up in case anyone else in the future has similar issues and s searching, I sympathize with you.

Nancy has suddenly fallen very ill within the past 3 days - little to no movement other than shifting positions occasionally, almost as if in an all day deep sleep. She doesn't want to open her eyes, but has been observed opening them halfway and walking a few steps a couple times, then settling down weakly into "sleep". 3 days ago she was glued to the cool side of the tank, with no interest in moving, or basking. She has been syringe drip fed Oxbow critical care and dubias for the past few months, because she would refuse greens unless snuck in with roaches. For the last 2 weeks she's been slowly losing weight to where her ribs slightly showed, but maintained a normal/round belly. Her head fat decreased even with food and water. When I picked her up 2 days ago, suddenly she felt very weak/limp with slow breathing. Her eyes had sunk in dramatically. I drip fed her food to get some energy, eyes still closed (surprised she licked it at all). She had passed a small stool the day before (3 days ago) that seemed normal, very little urine but was watery as usual but she drinks lots of water so I assumed this was the culprit. She was cycling through eye bulging/very sunken in eyes. It seemed like she could hold them normally for an hour or so but it got worse again. What was most concerning is that she would not resist how I moved her, almost seeming half dead. I held her and slowly flipped her on her back very briefly (only as a test, as she could suffocate) and she didn't whip around at all. A week ago she was walking and moving around normally, moving from basking to her hut on her own. She is 7, almost 8 and has never acted this way. Yesterday I took her to the emergency vet.

They kept her throughout the day, she reportedly was "very chill" so I knew she still didn't move much at all. They did an X-Ray and all they said was that they noticed a mass that could "either be a blockage from constipation due to parasites or could indicate a tumor". They couldn't get a stool from the soaking they did. She was prescribed 0.25 ml every 14 days of Panacur 100mg/ml Suspension (0.50 mL), and 0.7 mL of Metronidazole Suspension 50mg (1.40 mL) the same frequency. It's a dewormer and for bacteria/infections/parasites respectively. I gave it to her last night, and will again before her next visit. Today she had another bath, rubbing her stomach to try and clear the blockage. She was very weak, still "sleeping", as I floated her on my hand. Usually she would react to the water and be alert. Nothing happened. Now I can't even open her mouth to give her water or food anymore, she won't raise her head. I put her under the basking light on a towel to keep her comfortable. She is sitting there breathing very weakly at the moment. The vet wants to see her in 2 weeks, but I'm concerned that she won't make it that long. I'm unsure of where to go from here.

Attached are photos of her enclosure at the moment, most decorations removed so I can boil the small items frequently and replace towels easily to kill parasites. Is she definitely going to die soon? Should I stop trying to force feed her and make it worse? I just have no knowledge on whether what they prescribed is enough, it doesn't seem like a lot... She looks worse than the pictures show, more bony with a bulbous belly. She also developed gout problems but I assume they wanted to treat the emergency first. Thanks for reading. I'm very concerned.

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Nancy Left.jpg
    Nancy Left.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Nancy Top.jpg
    Nancy Top.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 70
  • NancyRight.jpg
    NancyRight.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Sorry, she's very sick. It's very clear from the sunken eyes and behavior. Was a blood test done on her at all?

More than likely, she won't survive the two weeks until the next vet visit, I'm sorry to say. At this point you might just want to transition into end of life care and trying to keep her as comfortable as possible. There isn't anything we are going to be able to do to help you if she's so weak she isn't even taking to the force feeding anymore.

8 years is a good amount of time, and she has obviously been well cared for by you. These things just happen unfortunately.

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
This thread choked me up, I'm very sorry your girl is declining. Both that i have lost was very sudden with no warning, my heart goes out to you. In know it has to be agonizing, I'll be sending prayers your way.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Nancy has suddenly fallen very ill within the past 3 days - little to no movement other than shifting positions occasionally, almost as if in an all day deep sleep. She doesn't want to open her eyes, but has been observed opening them halfway and walking a few steps a couple times, then settling down weakly into "sleep". 3 days ago she was glued to the cool side of the tank, with no interest in moving, or basking. She has been syringe drip fed Oxbow critical care and dubias for the past few months, because she would refuse greens unless snuck in with roaches. For the last 2 weeks she's been slowly losing weight to where her ribs slightly showed, but maintained a normal/round belly. Her head fat decreased even with food and water. When I picked her up 2 days ago, suddenly she felt very weak/limp with slow breathing. Her eyes had sunk in dramatically. I drip fed her food to get some energy, eyes still closed (surprised she licked it at all). She had passed a small stool the day before (3 days ago) that seemed normal, very little urine but was watery as usual but she drinks lots of water so I assumed this was the culprit. She was cycling through eye bulging/very sunken in eyes. It seemed like she could hold them normally for an hour or so but it got worse again. What was most concerning is that she would not resist how I moved her, almost seeming half dead. I held her and slowly flipped her on her back very briefly (only as a test, as she could suffocate) and she didn't whip around at all. A week ago she was walking and moving around normally, moving from basking to her hut on her own. She is 7, almost 8 and has never acted this way. Yesterday I took her to the emergency vet.

They kept her throughout the day, she reportedly was "very chill" so I knew she still didn't move much at all. They did an X-Ray and all they said was that they noticed a mass that could "either be a blockage from constipation due to parasites or could indicate a tumor". They couldn't get a stool from the soaking they did. She was prescribed 0.25 ml every 14 days of Panacur 100mg/ml Suspension (0.50 mL), and 0.7 mL of Metronidazole Suspension 50mg (1.40 mL) the same frequency. It's a dewormer and for bacteria/infections/parasites respectively. I gave it to her last night, and will again before her next visit. Today she had another bath, rubbing her stomach to try and clear the blockage. She was very weak, still "sleeping", as I floated her on my hand. Usually she would react to the water and be alert. Nothing happened. Now I can't even open her mouth to give her water or food anymore, she won't raise her head. I put her under the basking light on a towel to keep her comfortable. She is sitting there breathing very weakly at the moment. The vet wants to see her in 2 weeks, but I'm concerned that she won't make it that long. I'm unsure of where to go from here.

Attached are photos of her enclosure at the moment, most decorations removed so I can boil the small items frequently and replace towels easily to kill parasites. Is she definitely going to die soon? Should I stop trying to force feed her and make it worse? I just have no knowledge on whether what they prescribed is enough, it doesn't seem like a lot... She looks worse than the pictures show, more bony with a bulbous belly. She also developed gout problems but I assume they wanted to treat the emergency first. Thanks for reading. I'm very concerned.
Please get your uvb unobstructed - it needs to be directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches - I don't know if this is going to pull her back but I would get the temps at night to around 80's using a che- her surface basking temps 95-100 taken w/ digital probe thermometer- if you have any blood work or test please post so Tracie can see them - she is a vet tech mod in here-
@Drache613

Amalgamates

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nancy
Thank you so much for the response, I'm about to go briefly into work so sorry for short reply - No bloodwork done which was strange to me. Debating on taking her to another vet asap just for that. I am able to pick one up after work before they close, would you recommend 60W or 100W for this case? They have both - I don't have dimming ability, if that affects the choice. Will mount UVB inside tank asap
@KarrieRee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you so much for the response, I'm about to go briefly into work so sorry for short reply - No bloodwork done which was strange to me. Debating on taking her to another vet asap just for that. I am able to pick one up after work before they close, would you recommend 60W or 100W for this case? They have both - I don't have dimming ability, if that affects the choice. Will mount UVB inside tank asap
@KarrieRee
How big is the tank? I would try a 100 watt if it's too hot you can try the 60- ambient temps around 80 place on screen center of tank - make sure your using a dome w/ a ceramic socket-and rated for watagge

Amalgamates

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nancy
How big is the tank? I would try a 100 watt if it's too hot you can try the 60- ambient temps around 80 place on screen center of tank - make sure your using a dome w/ a ceramic socket-and rated for watagge
Got it, thank you! Headed to get it right now. I have a 40gal tank. I hope it'll be more comfortable for her. If she seems stable enough to be moved tomorrow I will call another emergency vet, I'm sure she is also malnourished and thirsty from lack of interest in food and water...

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Got it, thank you! Headed to get it right now. I have a 40gal tank. I hope it'll be more comfortable for her. If she seems stable enough to be moved tomorrow I will call another emergency vet, I'm sure she is also malnourished and thirsty from lack of interest in food and water...
For a 40g tank I think a 100w che is likely to send temps well above 80f. It looks to be glass as well which tends to hold heat better.

Wishing you and your sick girl the best.

Amalgamates

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nancy
This thread choked me up, I'm very sorry your girl is declining. Both that i have lost was very sudden with no warning, my heart goes out to you. In know it has to be agonizing, I'll be sending prayers your way.
Thank you so much for your words. I feel for you, this was so frightening and stressful. I just found that she passed away while I was at work. I got to bring her outside in the sun one last time before I left and give her plenty of pets so I am thankful for that. Give yours pets for me.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry for your loss. Like I mentioned, you gave her 8 good years. While I understand the desire to try and do anything you can to save her, there was nothing you could do for her at the point she was in.

RIP

-Brandon

Amalgamates

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nancy
Sorry for your loss. Like I mentioned, you gave her 8 good years. While I understand the desire to try and do anything you can to save her, there was nothing you could do for her at the point she was in.

RIP

-Brandon
Thank you Brandon, your first post gave me a lot of peace. I am very happy she made it as long as she did, she was the friendliest lizard I've ever met. I do have questions about the concerning state I found her in but it might be slightly too graphic to talk about here (sorry, new user). If you know who I can chat to or where it's okay post please let me know.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Feel free to post it here, or if you feel its something you'd rather keep private, feel free to private message myself or any other member here. We are all here to help.

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Im so sorry you lost your girl, she was loved and you can bet she understood it and returned it.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom