Eggs Collapsing near hatch date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

So this morning, I woke up to two of my eggs from my girls 1st clutch start to collapse. It is day 50 tomorrow, and it seems a bit early. I have my temp around 86-87 constantly. Im hoping for males. My humidity at the moment is 77%. Please help if you know. I think they may be hatching, but I don't know if the humidity is too low. I will update if anything happens!

Pictures...

Slpb9GR.jpg

Q5IcYeM.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Have you added any water to them and do you keep them covered ? If not, the vermiculite can dry out even if the humidity in the incubator is high. If the vermiculite is dry, carefully add lukewarm water around the eggs.

zoeandaussie

Original Poster
Oh, I should've added that the tupperwares they are in have holes in the tops & sides, water droplets are always forming on the lids from the inside.
Candled them today and veins are good as far as I could see.
Yes, I will get to adding water as soon as I can. Thank you.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Oops!! Had to edit because you supplied info I needed :)
I just didnt see it.
Did the eggs sweat before denting? 88°F is pretty high. That would shorten the time it takes to hatch them. So day 50 would sound about right for them to start hatching.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
If your getting condensation on the inside of the lid chances are humidity is okay. Condensation is usually not a good thing though. I use some really nice egg boxes built by Dr. Seward. They have a shield that prevents condensation from dripping on eggs. It only has a very small pinhole in it for ventilation. I never have to open the egg boxes, or add water. Some of my eggs can take 8 months to hatch...its a very long time not to even open an egg box.
Dr. Seward sells them for $10 a box...I really like them. I can post a picture later today.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Had time to post pictures.
The lid is opaque, the shield is clear. The clear shield fits inside the egg box over the top of the eggs. Then the top snaps down over it.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Did you add a tad bit of water as AHBD suggested? Did eggs plump back up?
My biggest fear is that the temps are really pretty high, close to the danger zone. Hopefully the eggs are looking a bit better. I was able to get a better look at them on a computer...zooming on my phone doesn't work well on this site. They do appear a bit dehydrated.
Typically I never set my incubator higher than 84°F with bearded dragon eggs.

zoeandaussie

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I have added a bit more water as ABHD recommended and the eggs are looking a bit more plump. Hopefully these guys all turn out healthy & happy. I will try to get pictures in a little bit.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Good news!! Bearded dragon eggs are pretty durable and forgiving. Hopefully they will start hatching soon. Should start hatch soon.
How many eggs did you get and how many are incubating?

zoeandaussie

Original Poster
Okay, they are still plump. I had 14 in this clutch and so far only 2 have died. Its 53 days today. Have seen some sweat drops on two of the eggs. :blob8: She is a leatherback and dad is a german giant.

She dropped her 2nd clutch of this breeding on October 10th, and they are looking really nice. 13 of those.

1st clutch of Eggs as of today (Should hatch this week or next week) :
WkqJaL3.jpg

Dad (His name is Chomp) :
Uc5ObuA.jpg

And mom after she laid her eggs:
77ZQL5T.jpg

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Good job!! Looks and sounds like its going well. They should be popping out soon. Hatching reptiles never gets old, its a pretty special thing to take part in. I still get the nervous jitters when the first baby pokes its head out :)
I still have 2-3 months left on my Mexican beaded lizard eggs. 5-6 mo (8 mo if incubated @ 78°F-79°F) is a long time to wait!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, it sounds like they should hatch soon . :) Chomps looks like a big dude, do you have his length ? And the mom is not a leatherback....was she sold to you as a leather ? She's definitely not....none of the babies will be leatherbacks..,.. just so you don't look for them in your clutches.

zoeandaussie

Original Poster
Update:
Good news guys, eggs are still sweating. One of them actually seems a lot thinner, but is sweating. All veins can still be seen as well when candling. :lol:

zoeandaussie

Original Poster
GOOD NEWS!!

Last night, one of the babies had pierced the sides and his head was out of the side. It was exactly 9pm. When I woke up today, he was sleeping in the corner of the contanier in the incubator. I will update when I get home around 3pm. He is the first one! 53 days exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom