Eating what is happening ????!

Faith_b

Beardie name(s)
Rocko
Hey my name is faith and i am a new beardie owner. Ive had my beardie for about a year and some change but he just wont eat , or i have to hand feed him. When i first got him he was very active and aye about twice a day and started him on a worm diet and gave him shallow baths for him to drink water. About 7 months after getting him the heating bulb went out and this is where the problem started . I got him a new bulb and started routine as normal but he slowly just stop being hungry he would eat less frequently. Then About like a year after having him he just stopped eating completely. I tried switching his diet and taking him outside in a carrier i have for him nothing worked. I finally found a vet in my town and took him to see him because due to lack of eating his shed began to pile on his eye. The vet gave me this egg powder and said that when he starts eating the egg pwder and water mixture feed him normally as well because he was also under weight. I tried that for a month and he ate but not as much to gain weight. So i took him to the vet again and was told the same thing but told to get a hydrometer and a thermometer to see humidifier levels and temp levels in his enclosure and givin medication because it sounded like he had a cold. He never seems sleepy and still moves around and climbs in his enclosure every once in a while. I even got him a clear ball to fill with worms to maybe get him active to see it that helped but it didnt . Now i just hand feed him romaine lettuce amd fruit and the egg water mixture and try to get him to drink more water bc he doesn’t eat on his own anymore. Any advice please help i really love this beardie and even considered giving him up cause i just can’t pin point what im doing wrong for him. Ive also even thought maybe it was the bulb brand changing so many different times bc pet smart always is out of stock of things but i try to keep it around the same wattage .

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey my name is faith and i am a new beardie owner. Ive had my beardie for about a year and some change but he just wont eat , or i have to hand feed him. When i first got him he was very active and aye about twice a day and started him on a worm diet and gave him shallow baths for him to drink water. About 7 months after getting him the heating bulb went out and this is where the problem started . I got him a new bulb and started routine as normal but he slowly just stop being hungry he would eat less frequently. Then About like a year after having him he just stopped eating completely. I tried switching his diet and taking him outside in a carrier i have for him nothing worked. I finally found a vet in my town and took him to see him because due to lack of eating his shed began to pile on his eye. The vet gave me this egg powder and said that when he starts eating the egg pwder and water mixture feed him normally as well because he was also under weight. I tried that for a month and he ate but not as much to gain weight. So i took him to the vet again and was told the same thing but told to get a hydrometer and a thermometer to see humidifier levels and temp levels in his enclosure and givin medication because it sounded like he had a cold. He never seems sleepy and still moves around and climbs in his enclosure every once in a while. I even got him a clear ball to fill with worms to maybe get him active to see it that helped but it didnt . Now i just hand feed him romaine lettuce amd fruit and the egg water mixture and try to get him to drink more water bc he doesn’t eat on his own anymore. Any advice please help i really love this beardie and even considered giving him up cause i just can’t pin point what im doing wrong for him. Ive also even thought maybe it was the bulb brand changing so many different times bc pet smart always is out of stock of things but i try to keep it around the same wattage .
Please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them--- analogs are inaccurate you want 2 digital probe thermometers-- UVB coil or a long tube -- coils go in domes--- this is the most common for them to stop eating

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, just so we have an idea of your tank setup, please post some pictures of the tank with the lights,
etc along with your dragon.
As Karrie suggested, the UVB lighting & temperatures are crucial for their overall health.
At his age, it is possible that he could be brumating or at least slowing down some for the cooler weather.
Though if his weight isn't up to par, I would definitely try to encourage him to bask more so you can try to
get him to gain some weight. If he isn't eating on his own, you can get some chicken or turkey baby food
& mix that with either some sweet potato baby food or squash baby food. He should really like the taste
of that quite a bit.
How often do you give calcium or other supplementation?

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom