Dubias Dieing. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
The crazy ants like electronics...they are drawn to electricity. They can start fires and destroy electronic equipment. About 2 years ago there was a post from someone that had their house infested with fire ants from thier roach colony. Apparently the ants found the bin and decided to inhabit the person's house. Not sure how that turned out, but hopefully they were able to get rid of them. Very painful bites...

RarestDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Rankins":35weabwc said:
The crazy ants like electronics...they are drawn to electricity. They can start fires and destroy electronic equipment. About 2 years ago there was a post from someone that had their house infested with fire ants from thier roach colony. Apparently the ants found the bin and decided to inhabit the person's house. Not sure how that turned out, but hopefully they were able to get rid of them. Very painful bites...

That's one of the reasons I said no to keeping my roaches outside in the garage. My parents suggested keeping them in there, but I said no because it gets very cold there in the winter and other bugs could get inside. Currently my roaches are in my bathroom, chosen for it's higher humidity, which is on the second floor. I've never seen a fire ant once in this house. The occasional American cockroach during the summer is usually all we get. But I doubt one of those could get inside my roach bin, it's sealed tight. Then again, pest roaches seem to have a way of getting in no matter what.

Still, I'm doubtful of any pest bugs getting in my roach bin as long as I keep their bin clean and change their food regularly. The most I have to worry about are those little fruit flies that I've seen sometimes if the trash sits for too long. Which it rarely does.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Typically it's phorid flies in roach bins. They look a lot like fruit flies...but they like to run on the surface of things. They also fly, but if you see them running on the surface of your bin it's likely phorids. Pesky things are hard to get rid of, the tiny maggots are nearly impossible to see and they infest everything in the bin. I get rid of them by keeping the bin dry for several days. I have a fan in my bin that helps vent it, it has an added benefit of chopping up the flies.
I really hate phorids...there is satisfaction in knowing they are getting chopped to bits :)

RarestDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, so far I haven't seen any phorids or the like inside my roach bin. I keep their food on paper plates that I cut to allow the babies to climb onto. When I change their food, I change the plate wedges. Seems to be working. I smell no mold and I see no tiny flies. I often see a baby or two on the fruit when I clean it out. The babies tend to like hiding under the apple cores I give them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom