Dubia & other things

Status
Not open for further replies.

c4chaos

Hatchling Member
Hello forum,
Several questions:
1. What heat source do you use for your dubia colony? I'm getting a shipment in from Dubai Deli and I have carpet so I can't put a heat pack on there. Can I just tape it to the side of the tub?
2. Are phoenix worms a good staple feeder other than dubia? My dragon is 7". I got the medium size starter pack from the Phoenix Worm store. $5.99 for 100+ worms.
Thanks and hope to hear from you.
- S

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
1. I use a human heating pad. I have carpet and use it.. Never have had a problem.

2. Yes they are.

-Brandon

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
Is leaving my dubia colony in the garage going to kill them? I just can NOT bring myself to put them in the house.. at all! I live in Texas.. its not cold yet but it will get cold soon.

Second question.. how do I give dubia water? I gave them water crystals like I do for the crickets.. and half a day later they were gone.. completely consumed. Not dried.. not scattered anywhere.. completely eaten.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can put them wherever you want as long as you meet their basic needs to thrive.

You give them water with the water crystals. If they are all gone already they must have been thirsty. You should keep crystals in there 24/7.

-Brandon

Trajega

Hatchling Member
Ive found the best way to handle the crystals is to put them in a tupperware (or cleaned recycled plastic container / chinese delivery containers), then put some holes in the sides (no bigger than an inch across and 1/2 inc high. It helps them last MUCH longer. Also living in Texas this helps hold the moisture in a small area incase they need to soak some up and not evaporate it all off.

Trajega

Hatchling Member
c4chaos":2m1rbtxw said:
Darn it - I didn't get any crystals. Where can I buy them other than online?
walmart gardening area. You will be buying water crystals but will be paying a few bucks for a small bag. Pet stores will have a water gel which is your LEAST economic choice.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
c4chaos":daqdjchs said:

I had to go to Lowe's to get Soil Moist. 1 lb should run you no more than $12.

c4chaos

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
randommonks":wd0lbqwj said:
c4chaos":wd0lbqwj said:

I had to go to Lowe's to get Soil Moist. 1 lb should run you no more than $12.

Doesn't Soil Moist contain fertilizer?

c4chaos

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I should be receiving the dubia today...
A few more questions.
Where can I get egg cartons? Obviously from eating eggs, but is there a decent substitute that I can use?
What do you feed your dubia?
I've read about people using cat food...
I wasn't worried before, but now I'm kind of worried.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
c4chaos":25m3rrb2 said:
I should be receiving the dubia today...
A few more questions.
Where can I get egg cartons? Obviously from eating eggs, but is there a decent substitute that I can use?
What do you feed your dubia?
I've read about people using cat food...
I wasn't worried before, but now I'm kind of worried.

You can get egg cartons from local cafes or Denny's. If you don't want to go that route, your roaches should be delivered with egg cartons in the box. If not, you can use toilet paper rolls or anything they can crawl on and hide.

Feed cat food, baby carrots, water crystals, table scraps, bread. Remember these are roaches so they'll eat anything but if you're feeding them to your dragon instead of using them to breed, feed more veggies.

c4chaos":25m3rrb2 said:
Doesn't Soil Moist contain fertilizer?

Nope. Just straight acrylic polymer no fertilizer added. Soil Moist does make one that has fertilizer in it called Soil Moist Plus. Bonus points if you can guess what the Plus is :wink:

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
Is dog food ok? I dont have cats. I scooped up the crumbs at the bottom of the dog food bin.. and gave it to the roaches.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Spikeshuman":gtqsv9k3 said:
Is dog food ok? I dont have cats. I scooped up the crumbs at the bottom of the dog food bin.. and gave it to the roaches.

Cat food is normally recommended because it's higher in protein, but I think dog food should stil be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom