Droopy beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Loki's had a sagging droopy neck for a while now. Is it because she is getting older? She will be 6 next month.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of her?
She shouldn't have too droopy of a beard, but with age, they can get more skin drooping or hanging down.
What type of supplementation do you use?

Tracie

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here are some recent photos taken in the past couple weeks.
The photo in my signature was taken about 3 years ago I think.
I use the Rep-Cal multivitamins and calcium with vitamin D. The multivitamins I sprinkle on her food once a week, and the calcium every other day.
loki5.jpg

loki2-5.jpg

loki1-4.jpg

loki4-3.jpg

loki3-5.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is her beard always darkened like that? How has she been doing other than the droopy beard?

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Her beard lately is a bit dark most of the time. I think the darkness and the droopyness came on very gradually, and I really didn't notice anything was changing about her appearance until I was looking through some of her old photos the other day. She seems healthy to me otherwise. She has a big appetite and she's alert.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you using the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent bulb? Is it less than 6 mo old and about 6 to 8" from her? What are the tank temps and what type of thermometer are you using? How's the humidity in her tank?

Has she been pooping normally? Is she active?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to rule things out and to figure out what might be causing the darkened beard most of the time.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I am using a Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent, and I replaced it back in February. I replace the bulb every year. She gets lots of outside time in the summertime, so she gets a lot of natural light. In the fall and winter, she's in her cage more so I replace the bulb. The bulb is approx. 8" away from her log and her basking rock.

I have no way of gauging the humidity, but it is usually very dry where I live, and I don't keep water in the tank.

Yes, she's active. She gets especially excited when I approach her tank hoping for a treat.

I use a probe thermometer, and her basking temps are usually around 85-90 degrees. Anything hotter than that and she starts gaping or moves away from her basking rock. Should I turn up the temps anyway?

Her poops are more solid and normal looking now that she is eating more supers. This is the thread I started awhile ago in regards to that. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=156046

Isn't a black beard an indication of stress? I find it hard to believe she is stressed out though.

Also, this may be unrelated, but she did lay a clutch of unfertilized eggs this past June, and and again in July.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, that's good that the Repti-Sun is the tube, the distance is fine too. Those bulbs actually should be replaced every 6 months as that is when they really start to decline. Great that she gets lots of sunshine, bet she likes that. Does she like baths?

Thanks for posting that link, I do remember that now. Has it helped increasing her feeders or does she still seem ravenous most of the time? It's very possible that she may be going to lay another clutch as they can lay every few months sometimes.

Good also that you're using a probe thermometer. Do you lay the probe end right under the basking light and wait at least 45 minutes before getting the final readings? They really need a minimum of 95 in order to be able to digest properly so would probably be a good idea to check the temps again and see if you can kick it up a few degrees and how she acts. They can also darken up when trying to absorb more heat.

Did you get a fecal checked for parasites? If not, that might be a good idea just to rule that out. A darkened beard can be from stress, pain, being uncomfortable for one reason or another. Getting an xray done to make sure she doesn't have any eggs in her that might be causing a problem would also be another thought.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi, Thanks for your help.
diamc":189v14qz said:
Does she like baths?
I can't say she likes them, but she tolerates them. I bathe her in the tub a couple times a week so she can poop. She sometimes poops when I have her outside too. :)

Has it helped increasing her feeders or does she still seem ravenous most of the time?
She still seems ravenous. I increased her supers to about two or three a day in the morning and by the end of the day, her salad is gone too.

It's very possible that she may be going to lay another clutch as they can lay every few months sometimes.
Oh, I hope not. :? It seems to take a lot out of her when she does lay eggs. I feel bad for her.

Do you lay the probe end right under the basking light and wait at least 45 minutes before getting the final readings?
The probe sits on her basking rock. I did bump the heat up yesterday to 95 and she backed away and started gaping.

Did you get a fecal checked for parasites?
No, not yet. (Yes, I know I'm a bad beardie mom) I guess I had been putting it off, but I guess that's really the only way I'm going to know if something is wrong with her.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Our beardies have always loved their baths and will each stay in an hr if I let them. Do you put a towel or something similar in the bottom of the tub to help keep her from sliding around? That seems to make such a difference.

She could actually have about 5 supers a day. She may be still trying to build herself back up after the egg laying or getting ready to lay again. It certainly does take a lot out of them so giving her all the salad she wants, even twice a day and giving her the protein she needs will help her out. Had you increased her calcium when she was gravid and after she laid her eggs each time?

What size tank is she in and what is the wattage of the basking bulb? Does your probe thermometer have a long wire? Any idea what the brand is?

Is her beard still darkened most of the time? Is it mostly when she is in her tank?

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
LOKI-4.jpg

Here is a picture of her I took today. I had just brought her inside. It's a nice warm day today, and she got a lot of sunshine. Her beard appears to always have some black in it whether she is in her tank of not. Right now its speckled black and orange yellow.

I fed her about 5 supers today as well as her mustard greens (with extra calcium sprinkled on top). I had not given her extra calcium after she laid her eggs.

Her tank is 48"x16", and her basking bulb is a 100 watt Zoo med basking spot bulb. The probe does have a long wire, but I'm not sure what brand it is. I think I either got it at Petsmart or Petco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom