Dragon won't wake up

CATaylor

Hello! My dragon has been sleeping since January. At first I was thinking brumating, but at this point it's been so long that I'm really worried. He's had blood work that came back normal last year. His temps are 108 basking, 90s hot side, upper 70s cool side. His UV is reading at a 4.5 but that's because I just changed to a fresh bulb (Arcadia T5 14% through a zen habitat screen). I'm thinking to take him in to get more blood work done, but wanted to ask here to see if anyone might know what I could try. He will open his eyes and adjust if I mess with him. He also drank a lot of water about 2 days ago. But he just won't get up and be his active normal self. Any ideas?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Wow that is a long time for brumation.
What cycle is his lights on?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I think at this point i would probably take him to the vet, is he loosing at weight? If so i would for sure get to a vet.

CATaylor

Original Poster
I think at this point i would probably take him to the vet, is he loosing at weight? If so i would for sure get to a vet.
He's not losing any weight and appears to be healthy in every other way. I just don't know why he isn't getting up already. I live in Texas. I have taken him outside and he just wants to come right back in and go back to sleep. I'm at a loss at this point.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
How old is he?
I've heard of them sleeping 5 or 6 months, but this is the first time I've heard a first hand account of it.
Maybe @Claudiusx , @CooperDragon, or @AHBD could be more helpful 🤔

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some dragons will sleep longer than others but it may be in part the high temps. Try getting the basking temp. down to 98-100 , ambient in upper 80's and cool end in the high 70's. I wouldn't bother with blood tests unless he keeps sleeping for another month or more after you adjust his temps. lower to see if it makes any difference. It sounds like he's still in good shape. Has he had more chances to drink in the past aside from this last time ?

CATaylor

Original Poster
Some dragons will sleep longer than others but it may be in part the high temps. Try getting the basking temp. down to 98-100 , ambient in upper 80's and cool end in the high 70's. I wouldn't bother with blood tests unless he keeps sleeping for another month or more after you adjust his temps. lower to see if it makes any difference. It sounds like he's still in good shape. Has he had more chances to drink in the past aside from this last time ?
His temps were that low and I just did the adjustments to raise them 2 days ago. Should I lower them back down? He has drank other than that as well. He was drinking from his water dish last week that I caught him and I offer him water by drips on the nose at least once a week or so. Do you think it will take a month after adjustments for him to snap out of it?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No way to tell, I just threw that number out there in case he just won't come out of brumation. You can also take out his hide/cave and only put it back every night for his comfort.

CATaylor

Original Poster
No way to tell, I just threw that number out there in case he just won't come out of brumation. You can also take out his hide/cave and only put it back every night for his comfort.
He's not even using his cave to hide in. He sleeps all over and changes positions, sometimes a few times a day. Should I lower his temps back down? Or give him longer with the adjustments I just made?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He's not even using his cave to hide in. He sleeps all over and changes positions, sometimes a few times a day. Should I lower his temps back down? Or give him longer with the adjustments I just made?
Did you leave the temps at the 95-100 or are they hotter again? He shouldnt be taken a long time to adjust to that lower temp- have you had a fecal done to test for parasites? If not I would get one in and start there - no enemas please - its good hes moving around but to be sleeping is not good all the time- what is he eating? Your UVB is top of screen how far away from the basking decor piece? It should be directly under it -- and is the tank a 24" tall tank ?

CATaylor

Original Poster
Did you leave the temps at the 95-100 or are they hotter again? He shouldnt be taken a long time to adjust to that lower temp- have you had a fecal done to test for parasites? If not I would get one in and start there - no enemas please - its good hes moving around but to be sleeping is not good all the time- what is he eating? Your UVB is top of screen how far away from the basking decor piece? It should be directly under it -- and is the tank a 24" tall tank ?
His basking temp is 106 currently. I just bumped it up to that two days ago. Prior to that it was about 100. I absolutely plan to do a fecal, but he hasn't pooped yet since he's been sleeping and I don't want to do an enema. He also hasn't really eaten since he's been sleeping. He's in a 4x2x2 zen and I monitor his UV output with a solar meter so I know he's getting the correct UV. With that said, I did just change his UV bulb as well just incase. Placement is fine. I'll attach a photo of his lights and his enclosure for reference. His basking bulbs are two Phillips PAR38 90 watt bulbs in dimmer lamps, his UV is an Arcadia T5 14% bulb, and he also has an Arcadia Jungle dawn LED. He's in a full bioactive enclosure.

Attachments

• 20230130_204245.jpg
    20230130_204245.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230411_064300.jpg
    20230411_064300.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His basking temp is 106 currently. I just bumped it up to that two days ago. Prior to that it was about 100. I absolutely plan to do a fecal, but he hasn't pooped yet since he's been sleeping and I don't want to do an enema. He also hasn't really eaten since he's been sleeping. He's in a 4x2x2 zen and I monitor his UV output with a solar meter so I know he's getting the correct UV. With that said, I did just change his UV bulb as well just incase. Placement is fine. I'll attach a photo of his lights and his enclosure for reference. His basking bulbs are two Phillips PAR38 90 watt bulbs in dimmer lamps, his UV is an Arcadia T5 14% bulb, and he also has an Arcadia Jungle dawn LED. He's in a full bioactive enclosure.
Well I am not real familiar w the jungle dawn lights but I would try shutting it off to see if that makes a difference in the behavior-- you can try and feed him some baby food pumpkin to get him to go poop - keep feeding till he goes -- what are your readings off the solar meter?

CATaylor

Original Poster
Well I am not real familiar w the jungle dawn lights but I would try shutting it off to see if that makes a difference in the behavior-- you can try and feed him some baby food pumpkin to get him to go poop - keep feeding till he goes -- what are your readings off the solar meter

Well I am not real familiar w the jungle dawn lights but I would try shutting it off to see if that makes a difference in the behavior-- you can try and feed him some baby food pumpkin to get him to go poop - keep feeding till he goes -- what are your readings off the solar meter?
The jungle dawn is a full spectrum LED. It doesn't give off any heat. It's on the same timers with the rest of his lights. His reading for UV is currently 4.5.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom