DRAGON WILL NOT EAT SALAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this I am new here and have a question that I would like to be answered as soon as possible. ok so I have about a two year old Bearded dragon (tom)
she is female and wont eat salad at all she used to all the time but now she wont eat any. just crickets and commercial bearded dragon food. oh yeah I feed her collard greens with occasional fruits and peppers. to get her to eat I have tried: putting super worms in salad, sticking some salad in her mouth while she is gaping, making the salad as colorful and tasty as I possibly can, drizzled water on greens, clipping some to the wall of her cage to see if she will rip some off, that failed. SHE JUST WONT EAT salad. her ubv is a reptiglo 10.0 I change every year with no problems before. though I have heard bad things about reptiglo but she has been fine with it. her temps are 110 F at top of basking spot I measure my temps with a digital thermometer.

sorry that that this is so long but I need a little help. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Getting them to eat salads can be tough sometimes. I usually offer 2-3 items per salad and change it up regularly depending on what's fresh in the grocery store. I've found squash (different kinds) can be a good item to feed. You can make it look like worms which gets interest a lot of the time. There are other good ideas for salad items here: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html If variety doesn't do the trick, since she's an adult you can try withholding other food for a few days to try and get her to eat her salad (make only salads available). Sometimes that can do the trick too.

TOMTHEDRAGON

Original Poster
OK its been about an hour since I put her salad in her cage I put cucumbers, orange bell peppers broccoli (I was out of greens), blueberry's, apple and a bit of carrot and she stared at it for a while then went back to basking lol stubborn little thing :banghead: by the way sorry I forgot to add this to my list of things I've tried ive tried withholding food already. that didn't work :cry:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
One trick I've been working on recently is to cook up some squash and then take the cooled soft squash and roll it into worm shapes and move them around a bit in front of her. That may be worth a try. Most kinds of squash work well. Spaghetti squash already has that worm-like appearance so that may work well too. Keep in mind it may take several months for these methods to start working. Patience is key :?

TOMTHEDRAGON

Original Poster
ok thanks again cooper I will try that and post back in a few weeks, or if your method works earlier then ill post.

TOMTHEDRAGON

Original Poster
GOOD NEWS and bad news

the good news is my beardie will now eat squash blueberrys and bell peppers.

still trying to get her to eat greens though :)

TOMTHEDRAGON

Original Poster
thanks for the advice your squash cook-up worked so as mentioned she will eat squash. of course usually only if it looks like worms. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom