"Dragon walk"

Status
Not open for further replies.

forum1983

Hatchling Member
Jess":3jcjvmqn said:
I used indoor/outdoor carpeting for mine. :D I raided the samples at Menards LOL, so it was free. Dudley is scared to go on it though, so far.

DSC01910.jpg

Thats actually a great idea and it made me think of the left over pieces of reptile carpet I have! Now I have less things to buy whenever I get around to actually doing this. Thanks!

Jess

Extreme Poster
LOL, I've cut up so much reptile carpet to make ramps. It's perfect for that! But I didn't have enough to cover this one.

forum1983

Hatchling Member
Jess":1ws1vlsz said:
LOL, I've cut up so much reptile carpet to make ramps. It's perfect for that! But I didn't have enough to cover this one.

What do you use to secure the carpet to the wood? I can use staples (they are a heavy duty staple). Or is glue better, and if so, what kind of glue?

Jess

Extreme Poster
I just used a ton of hot glue. :p It dries fast, and it's non-toxic. Silicone works well too, but it needs to dry 24 hours before you put it in the cage.

forum1983

Hatchling Member
Jess":1jmrcyj2 said:
I just used a ton of hot glue. :p It dries fast, and it's non-toxic. Silicone works well too, but it needs to dry 24 hours before you put it in the cage.

I have a hot glue gun...thanks!

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Instead of gluing it, could you run a strip of heavy duty velcro down both sides of the back? You could have an extra so when one needs cleaning you could easily remove it for cleaning and stick the other one on...so on and so on :mrgreen:

Sherri

MissT

BD.org Addict
Jess":1kqs4vyw said:
Silicone works well too, but it needs to dry 24 hours before you put it in the cage.

Be careful with using silicone - my beardie suffered respiratory issues due to silicone which had actually spilled on the outside of his viv 2 years previously. I also spoke with a viv builder who told me never to use silicone as the heat would cause some mild fumes and would be essentially like a drug to the beardie!

Jess

Extreme Poster
... But all aquariums are sealed with silicone, and so are most custom made cages as well? That doesn't make sense to me. :?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Aquariums are usually sealed with aquarium sealant which has a different make up - I had to take the entire back off my viv and replace it and was told to use aquarium sealant when replacing it as it was the most easily accessable reptile-safe adhesive. I also noticed the area where the spill was, was the area that he was spending most of his time in - the vet joked that he was 'getting his kick' in that area of the viv.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I thought they were the same, but aquarium sealant was just more waterproof? Do you have any links on this? I used regular silicone to seal the edges inside of my viv. Dudley hasn't really acted any different, and it's not in big globs or anything.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Check that it is acetic silicone (I think thats how its spelt) - it is vinegar based and it is safe for use. Other, more widely available silicone sealants have an additional chemical that can be harmful to all reptiles. Right now, it is after midnight here and my head is not quite working properly. I will see if I can find the links that I got when I was originally searching it...

Jess

Extreme Poster
The silicone container was thrown away, but my dad said that it was GE brand 100% silicone?

MissT

BD.org Addict
GE silicone I is safe. GE silicone II contains an anti-mould chemical which can prove harmful.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I looked for pictures of the bottle, and it was blue and white... So, it looks like I have Silicone I! *Breathes sigh of relief*

MissT

BD.org Addict
Jess":2fq7fgj6 said:
I looked for pictures of the bottle, and it was blue and white... So, it looks like I have Silicone I! *Breathes sigh of relief*

Oh im glad you got that sorted! Hehe! Sorry for totally freaking you out but best to be on the safe side!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom