Dragon - possibly dying - Please help - vet yesterday but..

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you happen to know the name of the antibiotic injection, could you look on the receipt? If you can't find the Repti-Aid, pick up a probiotic, either Benebac, Acidophilus or get soy yogurt (they can't digest dairy)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Here's a pic of the type of thermometer you need to look for, this one cost $12.00 at Walmart & is the AcuRite brand. This one will give the basking and cool side temps at the same time, as well as humidity, that's why it was more expensive. The $8.00 one will only give you 1 reading at a time & doesn't have the humidity readout.
100_0297.jpg

leann

Juvie Member
Edit: sorry Leann, guess we posted about the same time, I was typing as you were submitting.

Thats okay Diane.....I was hoping one of you girls would come along soon...you know alot more about this than I do.... :wink:

Rhonda I'll be following your story and keeping you in my thoughts..

tatum123

Original Poster
Ok - So I am back from Walmart.
I took him out in the sun for a little bit - and then used the syringe and fed him some squash and apples with pedialyte.

He only ate about 1 teaspoon, but he did lick it off of the tip of his mouth (reluctantly) as I kept adding more until he tried his best to run away from me.
I do not want to make him use all of his enery being stressed out.

He is now sitting in a warm bath next to me.
How much rehydration do they actually get from the bath.

He has always hated me putting him in water and - faliled around as if I were drowning him.
Today however - he seems to be very content in the water - and it is clear that the bath makes him happy.

He is so thin - I can feel the bones in his back.
I am so sad.

By the way - yes the sand was bought at the pet store and it is silica sand.

The light is the kind that goes over a fish tank, the long florescent type,

Any further suggestions?
Oh, and is is possible to over do with the warm baths?
This is his second one today, is it ok to give him more later on?

Thanks,
Rhonda

wizbee

Juvie Member
Yes it is ok to give him more baths, they get water through the vent area where they poo you know. So if he is enjoying it more it is fine to get him rehydrated. Good luck and keep in touch. You are doing great.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Rhonda, that's great that he ate some squash and applesauce off his nose, that's a good start and is less stressful for him and for you too.

For proper hydration, a 15 to 20 min bath is helpful, making sure the vent is right down in the water. You can add enough water to cover his front legs and that may help him enjoy it more. Make sure you have a cloth down in the bottom like a washcloth or small towel to help him feel more secure. You can't actually overhydrate them so you can bathe even 3 times a day if he is enjoying it. Did you happen to rub his right side checking for hardened areas in case there is an impaction?

I'm relieved to hear that the Repti-Glo 10.0 is a long bulb rather than a compact or coil. Although there have been some issues with this bulb, there are safer ways to use it to minimize problems. You need to make sure that the bulb is 10" from him when he basks and to also place it right alongside a bright white basking bulb.

Did you have any luck finding the Repti-Aid, probiotics or soy yogurt? Were you able to get a digital thermometer with probe end?

Also, when you get a chance, could you give us the name of the antibiotic injection that was given?

How is he acting now, is his color good & are his eyes open?

TheSmpsnsG85

Sub-Adult Member
If he makes it to tomorrow, try Deer Creek Animal Clinic. They see exotics. The reptile doctor there, Dr. Denton sees all of our reptiles. They are located in Burleson off of rendon-crowley road... or 1187 whatever, same rd. They open at... I believe 7. I run a reptile rescue and we take all of the rescues there.
There are two vets who specialize in reptiles, Dr. Denton... and a female vet... her name is Andrea, I forget her last name.
Good Luck.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Rhonda,

Sorry about your girl, but with the proper lighting he should pull through.
If I can suggest something else, instead of powdered calcium is it possible you could get some liquid calcium? That would really absorb much better & more efficiently than the powdered calcium. Great that he got a calcium injection though that should help him out too.
How long have you had the Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube bulb? As suggested, the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube is much better. Also, do you have the basking light directly beside it at one end, for a focused basking spot? That way, he can get UVB & heat all in the same area. This encourages basking behavior.
Keep us posted on him. Do you have any pictures of him for us?

Tracie

EclpsPrinc

Juvie Member
Are we for certain this 5 year old beardie isn't simply trying to brumate? I realize there are some other concerns with his husbandry but just wondering...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
EclpsPrinc":e5b3f said:
Are we for certain this 5 year old beardie isn't simply trying to brumate? I realize there are some other concerns with his husbandry but just wondering...
I understand why you might mention that, but when a beardie is brumating he shouldn't be losing so much weight and she mentioned that he was very fat 2 wks ago and now she stated "He is so thin - I can feel the bones in his back." This shouldn't be happening when they are only brumating. So, we're trying to help him put on some weight and help her make some setup changes to improve his health.

tatum123

Original Poster
Hi again everyone,
Sorry I had to get some packages ready to ship (own a little ebay store and if I do not keep up with the shipping - everything becomes one big mess)

I did pick up some spray type calcium.
I did massage him (funny I am RMT) hehehe- he got a good rub!
He did not go poo.

I thought about burmating too, but if this is the case, he is too thin to make it through.

While I do love the little guy, if he makes it through, I am going to make a generous donation to the vet, and ask him if he will give him a home in his nature center.

I am going to get him well before asking to place him with them, I will not drop off a sick lizard and wash my hands of him.
That is not what any pet deserves - to abandon them when they are ill.

I just believe that he would be a much happier lizard if he had more interatction with other lizards.
He seems so lonely sometimes.
I am very busy, and my daughter is now 15 not 10.
This particular beardie LOVES PEOPLE, and thrives on being held.
He desires companionship - and it is not at all fair for him to live his whole entire life without meeting another lizard.

As for the shot, I do not remember what it was called, but I think it started with the letter R and was a very short name.
The new light was installed just at three weeks ago, the older bulb went out just around three weeks ago.
The only one that I could find at petsmart at the time was the one that I purchased.

Walmart does not carry reptile stuff (our walmart anyway) the mananger said they have not had any reptlie stuff for years now.
They did not have a thermometer, only fish stuff.

As for the vet in Fort Worth, I cannot go this far - my daughter goes to school at 12:30 and needs to be picked up at 3:00 - this does not leave much time for traveling more than a few minutes from home.

I will go and see the McKinney Texas vet tomorrow if he makes it through the night.

Thanks again for all of the help and support -
RT

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since your an RMT, I'll bet he did get a good massage. :wink: I think it's great that you are trying so hard to get him nice and healthy. But, I have to tell you that beardies aren't social creatures so him being by himself makes him much better off so please don't think that you're depriving him of not being around others.

I guess I should have mentioned that the digital thermometers are not a reptile supply. :oops: They would be kept in the area where outdoor plastic thermometers are for sale and can be used for lots of different things. Lowe's or Home Depot should have them too, just called a digital thermometer with probe end.

The reason I asked about the name of the injection is because sometimes vets give Ivermectin which has a terrible affect on reptiles and should actually only be given to cattle. Since you know it began with an R, I guess we don't have to worry about that then. :wink: A petstore should carry the Benebac or Acidophilus which would help in case he gets an upset stomach from the antibiotic since they are known to cause. Soy yogurt would also help. The Repti-Aid is great in giving them what they need when they have lost weight and really need a boost and that should be available at a petstore. Lots of beardies have gotten better quite quickly when given that.

It's great that he loves being held so much and I hope you do decide to keep him once he's feeling better. We have to think positive that he will get better and I hope you can get him in to see a vet tomorrow. Is the vet you mentioned a reptile vet? Please let us know how things go & good luck.

Diane

tatum123

Original Poster
Hmm, I really have felt guilty for a very long time that he is not around other lizards.
I am positive that he did not get ivromectin.
I would have recognized that name as I remember it being used for something else - wait - isent that used in dogs for heartworms?

Anyway - I would have remembered that name.

The vet in McKinney does treat lizards.
I am not sure if he sepializes in them or not, however when I showed up at Dr. Overtons - the receptionist says he is great and that she takes her lizards to him.
She also said he has a nature center that takes in the lizards that are being abandoned.

It is very possible that he may be going into burmation, but if he is with his body weight, I am reasonably sure that he will not make it.
He is still large, however his body feels very light, his stomach feels empty and I can feel the bones in his back.

I used to do a great deal of animal rescue in Georgia, and know how to give subQ shots - I wonder if I ask for a ringer of fluids and a few needles, if giving him some fluids during burmation would be the thing to do?

Any one know anything about this?

Thanks,
Rhonda

tatum123

Original Poster
Oh yeah, I tried to pass him off to the daughter, and all he wanted to do was run from her.
I tried to pass him off to the hubby, and all he did was run from him.

When I hold him - he just sleeps..... I think I may be getting scammed.... LOL..

No really - right now he is sleeping in a warm bath.
I have him right next to me and his head is being held up out of the warm water.
Every now and then you can see his eye muscles inside move, but he does not open them.

If he is trying to burmate - is there any way to stop him?

Thanks,
Rhonda

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Rhonda,

Well, there are things you can do to discourage him from brumating such as making sure all hides & caves are out of the tank so he can't hide & sleep.
Make sure the tank is very bright. Can you post a picture of him in the tank for me, so I can see how bright it is? That can make a huge difference there. You are right, being that thin, he would not make it through with no reserves.
The antibiotic starting with an R doesn't ring any bells at the moment, but, at least it was not Ivermectin. However, I would not let the vet medicate too much because his body is too weak to handle too much medication. The main thing I am concerned with is hydration status, & getting some weight on him along with a better UVB light.
Good that you got some calcium, as well. Hopefully, he will have an improved appetite soon.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom