Dragon food aggression

Harry_37

Hi all,
I have a 4 year old female dragon who recently laid eggs for the first time, this led us to finding out she is a girl. Eggs were removed after with no problem. She is healthy, good weight and has everything she needs and had handling almost everyday. Recently for the past few weeks she has suddenly become food aggressive. She had always been keen for food but now she will bite and chase anything that moves, this has made essential tasks difficult and caused a lot of glass surfing when she sees someone. She never puffs up or turns black so this leads me to believe she is hungry all the time, is this because she has recently laid eggs and will wear off, or is this something where a change needs to be made to her routine? I have tried more handling and trying to move her before feeding but I cannot pick her up without getting bitten thinking I am food. She is also very fast 😂. Any advice is greatly appreciated as we used to be very close but now she wont see me as anything other than a bit of food! Thanks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all,
I have a 4 year old female dragon who recently laid eggs for the first time, this led us to finding out she is a girl. Eggs were removed after with no problem. She is healthy, good weight and has everything she needs and had handling almost everyday. Recently for the past few weeks she has suddenly become food aggressive. She had always been keen for food but now she will bite and chase anything that moves, this has made essential tasks difficult and caused a lot of glass surfing when she sees someone. She never puffs up or turns black so this leads me to believe she is hungry all the time, is this because she has recently laid eggs and will wear off, or is this something where a change needs to be made to her routine? I have tried more handling and trying to move her before feeding but I cannot pick her up without getting bitten thinking I am food. She is also very fast 😂. Any advice is greatly appreciated as we used to be very close but now she wont see me as anything other than a bit of food! Thanks.
Behavior issues are usually associated w/ lighting--- what are you using for a UVB coil or long tube fixture how old is the bulb and where is the placement for it? Basking surface temps should be 95-100 taken w/a digital probe thermometer- any colored bulbs being used? Did you feed extra calcium after the eggs were laid ?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Are you heavy on the calcium after the eggs? She will need extra for a bit after to replenish hers that she lost to the eggs. Her aggressiveness might be get craving for the calcium. If you haven't up the amount your giving her maybe try that.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom