Dont know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lately I've been considering surrendering my little guy. I got him back in November and he's about 7 months old. From the very beginning he was a very skittish dragon and would attack out of fear. I gave him space and let him get used to me being around But nothing I have tired works. All his temps and lights are fine. He eats great and has a bowl movement regularly. He isn't my first beardie Unfortunatly I lost my last one do to parasite complication we caught it too late. While I don't think my little guy is inherently aggressive he has become impossible to handle. I think with time and the right person he will come around. Between college and trying to find work I just don't have the time to work with his temper. Any suggestions would greatly help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear he isn't settling in well. Some of them are less cuddly than others. If he seems to be content in his tank without handling, I'd limit handling and just offer him food. If he seems to want out of his tank, try setting up a portable basking spot in a safe area for him to roam. Sometimes they enjoy running around and burning off some energy. The aggressiveness may go away if he has an outlet for energy and if you give him space if that's what he seems to want, but he may not be big into handling which is OK too.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
I suppose it really depends on why you got the animal.

When I get an animal, I recognize the commitment I am making to said animal. I rescued a Leopard Gecko and gave her space but we've had her for over a year now and she's still very skittish and hates being handled. So I let her be. She has a great enclosure that gets cleaned and fresh water and food. As long as I am taking proper care of her, I don't mind that I can't hold her. In the end, she'll be a "look don't touch" type of pet for the 20+ years that I care for her. I think as long as you have time to properly take care of your dragon, like cage cleaning, cleaning bug cages, making salads, etc. and have the money to constantly replenish light bulbs, then I think it is your responsibility to do that. He didn't choose his personality and I whenever you rehome an animal, you take the risk that the new people will lose interest or won't provide proper care. Now, if you're saying you don't have time to properly take care of him, in terms of not cleaning the cage or not feeding on a regular basis, then that's different. Also consider if you give this one up, will you go get a new one? Bearded dragons aren't like dogs, they don't need to be trained nor do they need constant human interaction and socialization. If your guy just wants to be at peace in his cage or run around the living area for a bit, then that's fine. In this case, I wouldn't consider lack of socialization to be improper care as long as all other needs are met. If you had a dog and you didn't have time to take it on walks or socialize with it, then I think that's really different and the dog should be rehomed to a place that can better take care of it. But you rehoming the dragon, if solely based on an un-ideal personality, seems like it would benefit you more than the dragon.

I'm not saying an awesome home couldn't be found for him, but I would attempt to rehome myself instead of leaving him at a shelter or pet store. That way you can really talk to people and let them know about his needs and you might find someone who wants a "project" animal or doesn't mind that he doesn't want cuddles. He's also still young and you could yet see a change in his personality. I don't think it would be difficult to dedicate 5-15 mins a day to attempted handling and then slowly work up from there. And when you're doing other things, like writing on a laptop or reading a book, try sitting by his cage and just let him watch you for awhile.

Jesislas65

Original Poster
I don't mind not being able to hold him and him not being very social that's cool I'm the same way. The biggest issue I have is not being able to clean his encloser like it needs to be and feeding him. He will go after you if you try and I have to feed him outside of his cage otherwise I can't get the food in his bowl. I don't like stressing him out just to do the simplest of tasks. But like I said in just thinking about it. I don't like giving up on an animal especially since I knew the responsibility I was taking on. I'll keep trying with him hopefully I'll have some kind of break through.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I hope so too. It's also possible that something in his environment has him agitated since he's been acting this way for a while. If you want to post some photos and details about your setup I'll be happy to walk through it and see if anything stands out as a possible issue that may have him upset.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Jesislas65":2fqa7s41 said:
So lately I've been considering surrendering my little guy. I got him back in November and he's about 7 months old. From the very beginning he was a very skittish dragon and would attack out of fear. I gave him space and let him get used to me being around But nothing I have tired works. All his temps and lights are fine. He eats great and has a bowl movement regularly. He isn't my first beardie Unfortunatly I lost my last one do to parasite complication we caught it too late. While I don't think my little guy is inherently aggressive he has become impossible to handle. I think with time and the right person he will come around. Between college and trying to find work I just don't have the time to work with his temper. Any suggestions would greatly help.

My 11 month old prefers his cage to being handled and I had him at two months old. He is not aggressive or anything . Can do what I want with him cut his nail, baths, etc... but he is not the cuddly kind . Likes to walk around mostly. He can settle on me for a few minutes but his cage is the love of his life haha.I just accept him as he is .Some are cuddlier than some just like normal pets and thats fine.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Jesi, I feel for you. One thing to try is just put on gloves and pick him right up . Do everything in a relaxed but firm way. If he bites [ probably won't ] he'll see that it has no effect and may be unpleasant for him getting a mouthful of fabric. Hold him close to your chest and calmly sit down while holding him. When they are against our bodies they just sort of resign themselves to it and start looking around. Do this daily and after awhile you can ad a slow walk around while holding him. After a couple weeks of this you can pick a safe room to set him down while you sit on the floor [ like a bathroom ] and let him walk around. Always try to reward him with food after or even during your handling session.

Picking them up like this usually works....you must remain calm + move slowly and after a while he can see that no harm comes from you and he may even enjoy it.

Jesislas65

Original Poster
I am currently using gloves to get him out and into his feeder box, he does bite the glove. I'm going to keep working with him. Like I said if he isn't a cuddler or like being handeled I'm ok with that. Its more I'd like to be able to do his daily routine without stressing him out so much and not get attacked for feeding and cleaning his cage. I think it's mostly fear that has him feeling like he has to defend himself. Im not sure why, he sees me everyday since he is in my room and I'm usually in there when I'm home.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The point of picking him now is to hold him against your body. This is different than just putting him from one tank to another, holding him helps him to see that there's no threat, and then letting him hang out on the floor with you in a small room after he gets used to being held can help him get used to this type of handling regularly and he will probably settle down after a few weeks.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My Toothless was very much a livewire , not really into cuddles .

Took several months months of patience and perseverance and my making a predictable routine every morning of getting him out of his rearing tub , placing him a 30L holding tub while I pulled out his bedding (paper towels) and catching any remaining crickets he'd missed the previous day and overnight (I could not get him or Peppa to eat their crickets in feeding tub, so gave in and fed the in their rearing tubs) and then handfedded Toothless hi first few crickets each day in a bonding exercise , then replacing him in now fresh tub and giving him his crickets to chase and catch.

Suddenly when Toothless was nearly 8 months old he changed and started being calm when picked and even enjoying long snuggles and petting by me under his chin and throat.

I had cracked it :) !!! but he was still a livewire and would only sit still for maybe 5 minutes before wanting to go exploring.

About 9 months old cue uberhorny teenage boy beardie.... a couple of interesting months and he finally calmed down.

Then got very sick with cellulitis and I was compelled by the GP to take an ambulance ride to hospital where I was kept in the Short Stay Emergency Ward and then transferred to the Infecious deseases ward where I caught pheumonia A (from staff I think) and I was quaranteened. 4 weeks , most of this enforced bed rest on IV antibiotics (for cellulitis) and Tamiflu for the virus.
Toothless went on a hunger strike , refusing to eat anything for my wife - pining for his absent daddy.
I eventually could stand hospital and nurses and doctors and the horrible food no more -= I hated it there , so against medical advice , I discharged myself and returned home in an ambulance (I was still suffering from pheumonia A , but the cellulitis was on the mend and I no longer needed intravenous antibiotics several times a day).

oh boy ! was Toothless glad to see me, as soon I staggered in the door with a big paramedic on each arm , he was scratching frantically at the side of his rearing tub wanting to come out to me and to be picked up and brought to me (was very heart warming to have such a lovely response) , and my 2 bts and Peppa and Rex were also wanting me and showing they were pleased to see me too. :)
Toothless refused to get off me or let me out of his sight for over an hour (not that I minded) , and oh my was he hungry .... he nearly took my fingers off when I showed him a nice big cricket.... hunger strike was over - daddy was home :) ....

Fast forward to today, he is now 1.5 months old and we both enjoyed a lovely long (90min) snuggle this afternoon after he had his meal of crickets + a few superworms + greens. Longest daddy snuggle with him ever .... it was wonderful .... and we both enjoyed it , he was glowing , brightest happy colours ever..

so ... my advice .... don't give up .... your little beardie will come around , it just takes longer with some than others .
The chances are a bit of patience, perseverance and showing kindness will pay huge dividends for you too and you will likely eventually have a lovely affectionate beardie too. He may always be a livewire and highly strung, Toothless still is, but he now loves being with us (especially his daddy).

Damien777

Maybe it's all of the other animals you have, they may be freaking your beardy out. It sounds like you're really busy to even have that many pets, I mean I love, love, love animals but I know when I have too many, but the beardys do have a mind of they're own and mine is very smart as he actually picks up and carries his plate around smacking it on the glass to let me know when he's hungry. It's crazy, maybe you could take yours to the same place you got it and explain what's going on and ask if you could trade for a different one. Otherwise it might get too stressed and that really isn't good. I wish you the best of luck with what ever decision you make.☺

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom