Dont ever feed your Bearded dragon Azalea Worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChupakabraKing

Hey all ,

I just wanted to warn anyone here in the US who have azalea bushes and see the fat black with white spots and red headed worm and decide to use them as a food source . DO NOT FEED YOUR BEARDIE THOSE WORMS. I decided to try it and my 1 year old beardie was dead in the morning. My whole family is crying their eyes out over the loss of our pet. I haven't found anything online about if they were poisonous or not so do not try it. You will kill your lizard. I want to try and save anyone else the heartache I feel right now. :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry....my heart goes out to you + your family. What a tragic accident, I know you must be heartbroken. :( Thanks for posting this sad warning .

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
I am sorry for your lose. :cry:

This should be stickied, so people can see it(so they won’t feed Azalea worms)... Even though it’s very unfortunate... :(

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
So very sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you and your family. This is an important reminder to never feed insects found on your own.

This is so unfortunate. My thoughts are with you all.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry this happened. I know how much you all hurt. It doesn't matter how they die, it hurts a lot when they do. It's a bit worse when the way it happens makes you blame yourself. Don't. we all make mistakes. I'm not blaming you.

There is a site I was made aware of awhile back may help you in the future: I have re-read it from time to time and found things I was feeding my girls that may have caused them problems that I'd missed when reading it before. It's here: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html
It's color coded if you use firefox. I couldn't see the color coding when I was using internet explorer.

ChupakabraKing

Original Poster
Thanks all. I will never feed my lizards food from the outside again. Its been a few days but I wake up every morning thinking about him. Poor guy. He was too young to die. If anyone needs a pic of the worm let me know. I would be glad to send them. If I can save at least one, then his death wont be in vain.

littlegoron

Hatchling Member
i dont think it was the worm so much as the food it ate, i believe azalea bushes are toxic to cats, so a smaller animal wouldnt stand much of a chance. i am so sorry for your loss, please dont blame yourself, accidents happen.
truly sorry<3

Gail

BD.org Addict
azalea and rhododendron are quite toxic so any bugs feeding on the will be too. Its the same reason you can't feed wild hornworms/tomato worms to pets since tomato plants are toxic.

Sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom