Don’t want him to enter brumation (plus transitioning to mainly greens)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightRaysMoon

Original Poster
Basically Kazoku is less interested in food, and sleeping on the floor or under his hides/shelters. I don’t want him to brumate but we don’t have enough heat in the downstairs area to trick him that it’s not winter. His clutch hatched on December 24th 2020, so now he’s a year old. However it is not possible to convince him to eat greens in his current state. He’s not 100% brumating but he is showing signs. I am not prepared to have Kazoku enter brumation. I want to know what I should do for Kazoku for the rest of the winter. One extra thing; Kaz loves cuddles and we handle him quite a bit so if he brumates he probably won’t be able to have much interaction with us.

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Basically Kazoku is less interested in food, and sleeping on the floor or under his hides/shelters. I don’t want him to brumate but we don’t have enough heat in the downstairs area to trick him that it’s not winter. His clutch hatched on December 24th 2020, so now he’s a year old. However it is not possible to convince him to eat greens in his current state. He’s not 100% brumating but he is showing signs. I am not prepared to have Kazoku enter brumation. I want to know what I should do for Kazoku for the rest of the winter. One extra thing; Kaz loves cuddles and we handle him quite a bit so if he brumates he probably won’t be able to have much interaction with us.
I would just keep in warm downstairs because I have the same situation as you. Do you have a heater you could use?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Brumation is a instinct thing you should not prevent him from brumating - what is his weight? Grams please --

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Last time I checked he was roughly 380 grams
Ok so hes of good weight --- let him go into brumation --
if he goes into semi brumation where hes sleeping a few days or a couple of weeks and comes out to bask and eat he will be fine - mine never go into full brumation and do the semi thing I leave them alone - just make sure hes kept hydrated if he goes into the full sleep thing - keep a weight on him kitchen food scale weigh in grams -- every 10 days to 14 weigh and offer water

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Why don't you want him to brumate?

I know I wasn't prepared for it, and it goes against my nature as a mom to not feed something I love for 1-4 whole months, but if they feel the need for brumation, it's better to let them do their thing.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Why don't you want him to brumate?

I know I wasn't prepared for it, and it goes against my nature as a mom to not feed something I love for 1-4 whole months, but if they feel the need for brumation, it's better to let them do their thing.
Dragons should not brumate for more in than 3 months tops

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Dragons should not brumate for more in than 3 months tops
It's rare, but it does happen. I've already read a thread on here where their dragon slept for I think 119 days.

My guy went down for a little over two months, woke up for a week, then took another month long nap. Freaked me out, being his first brumation, but the vet said as long as he's not losing weight, he's fine.

I just don't understand the reasoning behind preventing brumation altogether. I would think it would stress him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom