doesnt seem like hes feeling any better

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Repta-aid is quite cheap. Here's a picture and the info about it: http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=1062
How many inches is the MVB from your beardie? That's very important.

When you went to Walmart to look for the digital thermometer with probe, did you look in the section where the outdoor plastic thermometers were sold?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
yogiebear8899":f1ebe said:
i ordered a temp gun already
idk the vit, the label came off
okay will do with the baby food
ummm power sun and its only and couple months old
idk it changes
right now its kinda cold...
how much is the stuff you are suggesting??
im kinda on a budget

on top of the cage
im getting a stand
ummm idk my mom is sick
but i looked for one at walmart the other day
i couldnt find one
were eles could i try??
Ok the powersun is great.Just make sure your beardie doesnt get within 12 inches of it.Great that you ordered the temp gun also.Well the repta aid is about 12$,the bayfood like .50 cents a jar,liquid calcium should be about 6-8$ so all in all not too bad.For the night time with a healthy beardie temps can go down to 65f but for yours I would like to keep it at 70F.You can eventually invest in a ceramic heat emitter bulb but for the time being what you can do is take a sock and fill it with uncooked rice then warm it up in the microwave until its nice and toasty.Put your beardie on theis then take a towel/blankie an loosely wrap it around both your beardie and the sock.This should keep him nice and warm.As for the tank,have you looked on craigslist yet?You can find them for free or cheap on there alot of times and this way you can use the money you dont spend on the tank on the things he really needs to get him well.

**EDIT**sorry Diane we posted at the same time.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
yogiebear8899, rather than taking the chance of him getting too cold at night, if you have either a black or red bulb now, you could use one of those. Just make sure that you don't place it right over top of your beardie because you don't want him to be too warm as they do need to be somewhat cooler at night. Also, make sure that the bulb isn't shining in his face as it will disturb his sleep, instead, turn him around so that his back is to the bulb. You can put him on the warmed rice sock and wrapped up in a towel or blanket too as Vicky suggested and that will hold the heat for a few hrs and can be reheated as needed. Make sure to tie a strong knot in the end of the sock to hold all the rice in before heating in microwave & then test the temp of it on the side of your cheek, you want it quite warm, but not hot.

One thing I don't think we discussed (if we did, I'm sorry), what do you have as a substrate on the bottom of the tank?

yogiebear8899

Original Poster
oh i did not look in that area
i will try and go back but i have ordered a temp gun so idk when that will be here
i will do the sock and rice tonight ..
i use sand..is that okay??

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sand is actually an impaction risk, especially for a beardie that small. I would suggest you remove it for now and even use paper towels. Later on you could get slate tiles, reptile carpet or non-adhesive shelf liner.
That's good that you will use the rice sock. Evidently you don't have a colored bulb then?
The temp gun could take a wk or more to arrive, so the sooner you get to Walmart for the probe thermometer, the better. Did you let us know how many inches the bulb is to your beardie in the basking area? Is he strong enough to bask on his own?

yogiebear8899

Original Poster
ummm okay i will take it out
how many times in a row can i use the sock of rice???
i cant find a ruler but it looks about 10 to 12 in. away cause i have taken everything out that he can climb on cause he was falling off
i will get to walmart as soon as i can

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
you can use quite alot as long as you dont burn the rice so be careful not to do that,ok?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as you only heat it about 15 to 20 seconds each time so that it doesn't over heat, you can use it indefinitely, I guess until the sock wears thin & the rice falls out. :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
vickson420":c9443 said:
you can use quite alot as long as you dont burn the rice so be careful not to do that,ok?
:p We said the same thing again. :wink:

yogiebear8899

Original Poster
okay thanks
umm also he does bask on his own
i was actually scared about taking everything out just cause i didnt know if he was going to be able to get from one side to the other.
but i watched to day and he did it
it makes me feel a lot better knowing he can

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, that is good that he is maneuvering around some. So with everything out now, the bulb is about 10 to 12" from him? If so, that should be ok now, but would still be a good idea to measure in case because the 100 watt MVB's are suppose to be a minimum of 12" from him.

He has a long way to go, but if we all work together & you get those necessities, hopefully we caught things just in time so that he can improve. We all really hope so. He has made it this long, so he is a fighter.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's about a 46 gallon tank so that would be much better than what he is in now. Did you find a good price for it?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like you have been working hard to get everything all fixed.
Great that you have gotten the babyfood for him. Make sure he mostly gets the veggies with just a small amount of the chicken or turkey until you get him to gain a little more weight. His kidneys can't handle protein overload.
So he is moving around more now? He must be feeling better a little bit.
I hope you get your temp gun in soon. That will help alot knowing his temperatures to make sure he is not getting overheated.

Keep us posted on him. I hope he gets better soon. You mentioned that you were going to try to get him to a vet, correct?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom