Does this bother anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperMom30

Hatchling Member
I was so against any animal testing at one time. I mean why should there lives mean less than our own. Then I was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and began understanding the necessary evil of using test animals for medications and diseases. I may very well owe my life to one of these animals. This does not mean I condone all senseless animal testing. Simply that I can understand why it is necessary at times. If there had never been any animal testing there might be humans on the endangered species list. Because of some of this animal testing there have been many break thorough in the medical world.

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
SuperMom30":2643f said:
I was so against any animal testing at one time. I mean why should there lives mean less than our own. Then I was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and began understanding the necessary evil of using test animals for medications and diseases. I may very well owe my life to one of these animals. This does not mean I condone all senseless animal testing. Simply that I can understand why it is necessary at times. If there had never been any animal testing there might be humans on the endangered species list. Because of some of this animal testing there have been many break thorough in the medical world.

Actually I am alive because of animal testing. If it was not for that I would have been dead a long time ago. But that is neccisary animal testing. Testing to see if a topical cream causes blisters is not something to use animal testing for.

By the way that brings up another point that I found out that is rather an interesting bit of info. The second most powerful person running peta Beth Sweetland has diabetes and uses insulin. Well animal testing went into finding out how to make that stuff. So that makes the PETA organization not only insane but full of hypocrites.

Why people give PETA money is beyond me.

boxers

Hatchling Member
I think that guinea pigs aren't naturally flexible enough to clean themselves to the extent that rats do? :lol:
Also, the size of the cage has a lot to do with how often it needs to be cleaned. And what type of cleaning agent is being used.

When my Noodle was in his smaller cage, I cleaned it about once weekly. And in the beginning, when I did wash off everything, I noticed he would mark things all over again. When he became used to the cage as his home, he stopped doing this, and regularly used one specific spot to do his business.
Now he is in a ferret-sized cage with a young female [[don't worry guys- he's neutered]] and I have to clean it every four days. Just wipe down the platforms with my Cage Spray, maybe change the litter from the litter box. But this is all because of Olive, because she is new. I am very confident that she will learn where the box is, and learn to navigate the huge cage soon. Noodle takes good care of her. And then, I will probably be back to wiping things down once weekly.

Also, lacy_black, I just gave them baths yesterday... Since adding Olive, Noodle has been 'claiming' her, and they sleep together, so they were kind of smelly. Noodle acted like he enjoyed himself though. I did assume that rats would have similar bathing needs to cats- rarely, if ever. I guess I was right on that? I did get a "tearless small animal shampoo" and avoided their faces getting wet or shampoo'd at all.

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
boxers":02d82 said:
I think that guinea pigs aren't naturally flexible enough to clean themselves to the extent that rats do? :lol:
Also, the size of the cage has a lot to do with how often it needs to be cleaned. And what type of cleaning agent is being used.

When my Noodle was in his smaller cage, I cleaned it about once weekly. And in the beginning, when I did wash off everything, I noticed he would mark things all over again. When he became used to the cage as his home, he stopped doing this, and regularly used one specific spot to do his business.
Now he is in a ferret-sized cage with a young female [[don't worry guys- he's neutered]] and I have to clean it every four days. Just wipe down the platforms with my Cage Spray, maybe change the litter from the litter box. But this is all because of Olive, because she is new. I am very confident that she will learn where the box is, and learn to navigate the huge cage soon. Noodle takes good care of her. And then, I will probably be back to wiping things down once weekly.

Also, lacy_black, I just gave them baths yesterday... Since adding Olive, Noodle has been 'claiming' her, and they sleep together, so they were kind of smelly. Noodle acted like he enjoyed himself though. I did assume that rats would have similar bathing needs to cats- rarely, if ever. I guess I was right on that? I did get a "tearless small animal shampoo" and avoided their faces getting wet or shampoo'd at all.

Well I had them in a dog cage for smaller dogs. They were gross I had them for about 2 years until they died. They would get food all over the place there would be food and poo all over the outside of there cage. They would pee and poo everywhere and even in thre nest they did not care where they would poo. So every day I had to take the plastic bottom tray out and clean it it was disgusting.

I also had to wash the filthy rodents because they ere white and you could see that the buts were yellow and dirty. They were a ton of work I think more work then a dog should have just got a dog instead of guinea pigs. So my experience with rodents has been they are dirty filthy animals. If they are not for other people that may be but for me they are dirty and disgusting. Oh and I heard something about rats having similar DNA to a human so that is why they are used allot as test animals. I think it also has to do with the rate at which rodents breed.

To me the life of people is more important then that of rats. When remember the reason they breed allot is do to the fact they die allot. Because rodents are food for other animals. Is there any difference from a rat being say squeezed to death by a snake or dieing in a laboratory test? I see no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom