Does it it would know if this is a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I've been looking over the temperatures of the uros and the beardys. There both very close. Would a basking in light of 115 be OK for a bearded dragon or am I just pushing my luck?

insanebassninja

Original Poster
DaisyDragon123":gbw31zji said:
115 basking spot may be okay for a baby dragon but it is too hot for an adult (appx. 100 - 105 degrees).
Ok am pushing my luck then because my dragon is a adult then.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
just get a table lamp dimmer, that way you can still use the bulb, plus if you ever change things up you'll already have a stronger bulb to use at greater distances.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
-If- you have a large enclosure and can offer multiple basking sites you can offer higher -surface- temperatures even to adults. The important part is to give a gradient that allows the dragon freedom of choice including cool areas and basking sites that are at least as big as the dragons head+body. I offer my adult basking sites between 90-120 and he uses them to his own preference/routine.

insanebassninja

Original Poster
OK I went and got some new digital all temperature gauges. The hot side is 94.5 and the cool side 79.7.
So should I get a 100watt heat bulb for her? The apartment is going to stay at 72 degrees Inshallah.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like you're now using round gauge (dial) thermometers stuck to the glass. Those can actually be off at least 20 degrees. So if yor'e getting a reading of "94.5 on the hot side", the basking surface is definitely hotter than that. You need to invest in either a temp gun or a digital with a long wire and probe end since those are the only 2 ways to get the basking surface temp which is the most important to know. Seems like 100 watts would be too hot in this case.

insanebassninja

Original Poster
diamc":1cr8uca5 said:
It sounds like you're now using round gauge (dial) thermometers stuck to the glass. Those can actually be off at least 20 degrees. So if yor'e getting a reading of "94.5 on the hot side", the basking surface is definitely hotter than that. You need to invest in either a temp gun or a digital with a long wire and probe end since those are the only 2 ways to get the basking surface temp which is the most important to know. Seems like 100 watts would be too hot in this case.

I finlly got it to 102.6 so am pleased with that.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What type of thermometer did you get that reading from? Is the 102.6 the glass temp?

insanebassninja

Original Poster
diamc":30ml9poq said:
What type of thermometer did you get that reading from? Is the 102.6 the glass temp?
Its one of those that go on the glass yea. so maybe its hotter then I think it is then? I also Changed out the UVB to a Long light fixture as well So I can add more heat for winter.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It could be. The analog thermometers that stick on the glass aren't known for accuracy. It's a good idea to read surface temperatures too so I suggest picking up either a digital thermometer with a couple of probes (one for the basking area and one for the cool side surface) or an IR temp gun like this: https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK To get accurate surface readings and adjust lighting accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom