Do you need a substrate for mealworm beetles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordy1380

I am breeding meal worms for my sugar gliders and bearded dragons and have around 50 beetles now. I was curious if you need substrate for them. I have oatmeal in the bottom now, but it is going to be hard to see the baby worms when they hatch. Do I need that in there or can I just have egg crates for the beetles?

jordy1380

Original Poster
So should I leave the oatmeal in there, or is it good enough to just have the egg crates in there with them? What is the best substrate to have in there with them? Also, is there a cheap place to get the actual meal worm bedding from in a larger quantity than 1-2 pounds?

clear

Sub-Adult Member
There is no actual mealworm bedding, all it is is a mixture of oatmeal, wheatgerm and other dry products. You can make it yourself. Yes the beetles need it, the crates will work but your get a better production with substrate.

jordy1380

Original Poster
What is the cheapest and easiest way to make a lot of bedding? I looked at walmart and all they have is a small jar of wheat germ and a canaster of oatmeal. Is there any place else that I can get something in a larger quantity?

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Hit up your local generic stores like aldi or something of that nature, they usually offer in large bulk at a cheap price.

jordy1380

Original Poster
What is aldi?? I am in NE and have never heard of that.... Are there any good websites that have the bedding for cheap and don't rape you on the shipping?

Hawk

we used a mix of sawdust and oats, it worked wonders, we had them in a 210gallon drum cut in half and when u touched the surface everything would start wriggling, add pieces of bread in there as well for them to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom