DIY Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
So after looking at all the cool basking platforms ive seen i decided to do it myself. I bought a piece of 1inch thick polystyrene since thats all they had. No pics yet but just thought i would make this topic now and add to it as i go :)

First project i had was to get rid of that stupid Repti-carpet and put in some tiles. I found some nice vinyl tiles and have a nice texture to them so she wont slide much if at all. 8 of them cost me 7.92 so a pretty cheap one :) How ever. The sides of the terrarium are not 100% straight so you will see some very small cracks.

2012-03-30_16-05-54_673.jpg

2012-03-30_16-05-59_508.jpg

Next is to figure out the basking platform. I think its going to be a pain lol! Specially what im wanting to do. 3 story tall bottom middle and the top basking spot. Bottom a cave hide and the middle will be a hide but will be more open with a small platform that sticks out maybe an inch, along with that all looking kinda like a castle. Will be rounded to look more like a castle tower with stairs on the side. Have made horrible sketches but it gives me an idea :)
Any tips on how to make a successful Platform with this stuff would be very much appreciated!

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
2012-03-30_17-57-56_178.jpg

The shell of it. I cant do much more until i get a thinner sheet... but will have 2 hide spots and the basking top :) IT does look tall because it is.. There will be roughly 7-8 inches from the light

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

You can just slice the sheets to make them thinner if you want.

-Brandon

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I did. But the one on top for the basking spot is impossible to cut in the middle without a saw with a big blade :( so ill have to find something to cut it with lol

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
2012-03-30_21-42-32_61.jpg

I guess i didnt post it. So here is what i have so far. Looks crappy but still not done :p might work on the bricks tomorrow and just cut em.. then during the week try and finish it. Should I use like.. adhessive/grout and then the bricks on top? Kinda like doing bricks on a wall and fireplace? What should i put over the bricks once i have them on their?

triumphtt

Juvie Member
I hot glued my stuff but its hard cause you can't get it to hot because it will melt the foam. You could always "paint" on elmers or something and do it piece by piece. I personally used power grip and tooth picks to hold it in place then paint and seal.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Some bricks done...
2012-03-31_13-21-28_575.jpg

Fully bricked..
2012-03-31_15-57-11_350-1.jpg

And the finished project!
2012-03-31_21-39-25_749.jpg

Of course its not finished.. Just need to paint and seal and im done! :) also putting a piece of vinyl tile flooring in the middle part so if she goes poo in there i can just wipe it out easy. The brown on the steps is going to be the base color then will add maybe some grey on it... Im not great with colors and making it look nice so .. lol but.. STarted this yesterday and got the easy stuff done. and on part of this my dubia roaches had babies :) at least one female anyways. Now that the bricks are on and everything i kinda like it.. and you can see how it really transformed :) Most of the bricks are strong enough for my beardy to climb up, Some are flimsy and will probably break but i will go through and check

Also painted the inside of the cave and the middle hide black.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Since im trying to make it look like a castle.. That brown will not be used :oops: going to find some dark grey and med and light grey and have at it :) Also need to find either a new glue source or buy a new hot glue gun.. i broke this one lol.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks great.

It's amazing what the little details can do to make something look so good.

-Brandon

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
im going to be lazy and buy some of that stone spray paint and paint the little details on. Then i need to find a way to put it in her terrarium.. It has that foam brick wall it came with so.. not quite sure what im gunna do. Either leave it as is or cut it a put so its smooth and fits nicely in side :) She loves to climb it so I dont really want to take it out. Anyways.. thats it :D will post the final project some time later this week. Need to find where to get that spray paint first, would think home depot would have it

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My beardy is finally shedding her tail so she wont beable to get any sheded skin all over her new basking condo :p

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
no thank you ^,^ LOL. Maybe if i got better at it a few here and there.

Going to add the dimensions. It is 11" x 12" x 10.5H"
Basking area is 11"x 9" I was horrible at math so the left side of the basking platform is 11" and the other side is 9" Then the front is rounded. Going to take a pic from above so you can get a clearer view of the rounded'ness :p Was fun making this how ever not even thinking about making em for others at this point. Not until i get better at it :) Plus.. My gluegun is broke! :D haha

NExt time i do this kind of project it will be outside. Not in my bed room, So messy with all the Styrofoam pieces everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom