Distance from ReptiSun 10.0?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

dEEjHaY

Hatchling Member
Hi all,

I was reading and I want to be sure I understand correctly. If my fixture is attached to the roof of a 2ft high enclosure.. and hangs down maybe 3-4" .. the tallest point that my beardie can reach would have to be somewhere in the area of 20" ? so either I have a giant tree/log he can climb up that high, or I build a ledge(which I'm doing) that reaches between 6-8 inches of the ReptiSun? Does that make sense? I guess it would look like this... lol... Go with it ;)

-----------------ReptiSun 10.0-36" Long-------------------------

********* 6-8 inches away ************

Does this make sense ? Basically 6" from the bulb, well I think with my ledge in place its about 6 1/2" below the bulb.

Rob461

The light needs to be 6-8 inches away from the DRAGON, not the ledge the dragon sits on. Measure to the back of the dragon.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
yes, so normally the bulb will be 8-10" from the basking spot, but this depends on the dragon

dEEjHaY

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh that makes more sense, so with the dragon on the ledge, 7" to the ledge is too close.. I'll have to re-adjust so that with him on the ledge he will be at 6-8".

Thanks all.

Sorry to dig up this old post, but I have some questions.

I looked on bigappleherp and they say that the reptisun 10.0 delivers UVB to a distance of up to 20 inches. Wouldn't that mean that, even if you left the light at the top of your 24" enclosure, the dragon could get UVB exposure if its basking spot was just 4" off the bottom?

AndyT

Juvie Member
It says that, but only minimal rays, if any, actually make it that far, so that would be no good.

AndyT":27mxjaw6 said:

Thanks. I am trying to figure out my own setup right now, and I have a light fixture that cannot hang down lower than the top of the tank (24"). Will it be sufficient if I just have a basking spot that comes up to 8 inches 10 inches below the rim of the tank?

AndyT

Juvie Member
Yep, as long as the beardie uses the basking spot, 8-10- inches should be sufficient. I have the same problem with my fixture, so I put a bridge and hammock in the tank so he can get within 6 inches of the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom