Disgusted with Petland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
I go to Petland on a month to month basis to buy crickets from them. I went to another Petland because the Petland I go to in Dalton was out. (I travel to Dalton because they back their crickets and are alive every time I get them home.

SO considering this Petland may be the same, (I buy 200 to 250 to have for the whole month at my other one. I was limited to 100.) I was wrong. I paid in advance while I went out to eat dinner and that way they were already paid for when I got back and they wouldn't get too cold. Well, when I got them, they were in a small container with a mesh, screen lid. I looked at the crickets piled onto each other, climbing to get off themselves and said to the sales' associate, "Are you kidding me?" I held up the container. "They're all going to die when I get them home." Well, the sales associate proceeded to tell me that's where they go in when I pick them up. "No, they're not. Go get several fish bags and put egg crates into the bag, then blow it up." She didn't like being told what to do. I got home with one bag and one container. Three crickets died, one of them eaten. (They were hungry.)

I also got told I was taking care of Melody wrong by dosing her calcium with D3 once a week, and multivitamin once a week. I'm due for regular calcium and that's going to be twice a week (correction: 3x's a week. Sorry.) The cashier told me to give it to her once a week for their entire lives. (I believe that's how MBD starts when you don't give enough calcium.) I'm not going to this petstore anymore. I'm going to the one I always go to.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
You should be dusting with calcium 1 feeding a day, at least 5 days a week. Multivitamin 1-2 times a week.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lindz0518":1xmp2vnl said:
You should be dusting with calcium 1 feeding a day, at least 5 days a week. Multivitamin 1-2 times a week.

Sorry. Meant 3x's with regular calcium and 2x's with D3.

ClubFauna

Horrible! Hate people like that. Good job on telling that ***** what to do with the crickets

Btw:
Calcium - every other feeding
Calcium with D3 - 2-4 times a month
Multivitamins - 2-4 times a month

That's what everyone usually follows

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
ClubFauna":1q9jrooo said:
Horrible! Hate people like that. Good job on telling that ***** what to do with the crickets

Btw:

They need a multivitamin at least once a week, and calcium at least 5x a week. Especially when they are young.

I misread your first post, sorry Melody :). I get confused with multiple supplements. I use Repashy for Spyro and my leos.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Here's the real dosage & you should have calcium without phosphorus and WITH VitD3 for each feeding:

Calcium: dragons from birth to 1 year old, 1 feeding 5x per week.; Adults over a year old, 1 feeding 3x/wk

Multivitamin and mineral powder: dragons from birth to 1 year old, 1 feeding 2x/wk; Adults over a year old 1 feeding 1x/wk.

Then adults get the same treatment weekly for the rest of their lives.

Yes, you're right, without the first shedule for their first year, they may end up with metabolic bone disease. I once rescued a dragon who was 16 mo old, who'd never had UVB or calcium or vit/min supplements and her bones were so soft she had to have soft towels under her at all times. She moved by her elbows, had no use of her back legs at all. It was heartbreaking. I was able to strengthen her bones a bit and strenthen her muscles to the point when she could walk and run after 2 months of intense therapy, extra calcium, good food. We didn't know that MBD also can cause kidney disease and she passed away a year later of kidney failure, even my vet didn't catch it, they hide their sicknesses very well; but while we had her she was a real dragon and had a great time. It's heartbreaking when it's so avoidable.

So hope this schedule helps.
Deb

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lindz0518":25gbxh0m said:
ClubFauna":25gbxh0m said:

Btw:

They need a multivitamin at least once a week, and calcium at least 5x a week. Especially when they are young.

I misread your first post, sorry Melody :). I get confused with multiple supplements. I use Repashy for Spyro and my leos.

That's okay...I, too get confused because I just changed her supplement schedule just recently. :)

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":2tg93crw said:
Here's the real dosage & you should have calcium without phosphorus and WITH VitD3 for each feeding:

Calcium: dragons from birth to 1 year old, 1 feeding 5x per week.; Adults over a year old, 1 feeding 3x/wk

Multivitamin and mineral powder: dragons from birth to 1 year old, 1 feeding 2x/wk; Adults over a year old 1 feeding 1x/wk.

Then adults get the same treatment weekly for the rest of their lives.

Yes, you're right, without the first shedule for their first year, they may end up with metabolic bone disease. I once rescued a dragon who was 16 mo old, who'd never had UVB or calcium or vit/min supplements and her bones were so soft she had to have soft towels under her at all times. She moved by her elbows, had no use of her back legs at all. It was heartbreaking. I was able to strengthen her bones a bit and strenthen her muscles to the point when she could walk and run after 2 months of intense therapy, extra calcium, good food. We didn't know that MBD also can cause kidney disease and she passed away a year later of kidney failure, even my vet didn't catch it, they hide their sicknesses very well; but while we had her she was a real dragon and had a great time. It's heartbreaking when it's so avoidable.

So hope this schedule helps.
Deb

Thanks for the schedule. You're a good person for rescuing beardies in need. (I almost rescued one last night, but she turned out to be a real 'cat with claws'. She wanted 25. The baby had three legs, chewed off, and one leg missing. A stump of a tail. The poor baby. People just don't learn that not every beardie wants a 'friend'. The best friends they've got is their toys, which Melody got for Christmas this year (A husky toy that she sleeps with.) and us to care for them. :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Alot of my rescues fell into my hands, no-one ever wanted $ for them except Gabriel, who was dropped off at the pet shop I go to & I had to pay $150 for him, but as I had the $ & he kept hiding in my coat, it was a done deal! And he was so worth it, parasites & skinny but no MBD & he's turned out to be a real love, loves to snuggle and keeps an eye on ME! So funny :lol:

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":2mdt6o8c said:
Alot of my rescues fell into my hands, no-one ever wanted $ for them except Gabriel, who was dropped off at the pet shop I go to & I had to pay $150 for him, but as I had the $ & he kept hiding in my coat, it was a done deal! And he was so worth it, parasites & skinny but no MBD & he's turned out to be a real love, loves to snuggle and keeps an eye on ME! So funny :lol:

He's very grateful to you. All your babies are so cute!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thanks, I just love them all to bits. Juggling them all in the am, baths, feedings, but we have a good system going. When I'm home it's not so important but when I leave for work I have to have everything timed to the second! They're all very co-operative :D

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've got feeding, basking for two hours, bathroom, outing, and then basking. It's different at night. There's feeding, basking two to three hours, cool down on me, watching TV, and then cuddling to go to sleep.

Another few crickets died from this Petland, last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom