discoloration on moulth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i have a bearded dragon named Vivo who is about a year old and pretty big.
his basking area is about 101 his cool side is at 91 but its a hot day and its hard to make it much cooler in here plus he hardly goes over to that side(usually in the 80s) and his warm side on the ground is 95.
I have the right lights tank etc. because I had an expert from Bearded Dragon.org come over and check.
Anyways about a month ago I've noticed hes been a little lazy and not as hungry and only poops every 3-4 days so for some reason I decided to take him out in the real sun for 10 min. everday and it perks him up and makes him hungry. Ive been doin that everyday for 2 or more weeks now.
So 2 days ago I noticed some discoloration on his moulth. Its sort of greyish/whiteish/pink.
I dont know what this is?
I dont have alot of money and I would rather be able to fix this on my own then take him to the only close lizard vet that basically killed my last beardie. (long story)
I thought maybe he wasnt getting enough veggies so I bought him sqaush and a mixed veggie baby food.
Any ideas on whats wrong with him?
heres pics of his moulth if it works:
100_0107.jpg

100_0115.jpg

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

I noticed you have two threads going in ER. I am going to address both issues in your other thread so that we can try and keep it all in one place. It makes it much easier not having to jump back and forth between the two.
Check out your other thread. :wink:

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello again,

From what I can see in the photos, it looks to be like your beardie is going to shed around his mouth. It's a bit hard to tell so I cannot be sure on this. Is there anyway you could post a clearer picture for us to look at?

You mentioned in your other post that he is gaping(mouth open) alot. For a beardie to thermoregulate there is a normal amount of gaping that they should display. I am thinking your beardie may be getting a bit on the hotside though. You mentioned your temps being 101 in basking and 91 in the coolside. The basking temp is fine, but your coolside is too warm for your beardie to properly thermoregulate. His coolside should be within 78-82 degrees. Your beardie could possibly be dehydrated. Do you bathe him? I would suggest getting your coolside down to the temps I mentioned. Also giving your beardie a warm water soak/bath asap.

I know you said someone from this site helped you with your set up, but if you could answer some questions it would help in determining what is going on with Vivo.

What Brand and Type uvb are you using? fluorescent tube, coil, compact or mvb?
What Watt and Brand basking bulb?
What size is the enclosure?
How close can your beardie get to his uvb and basking bulb?
What are you measuring temps with? digital thermometer w/wire and probe, dial, stick-on, temp gun?
Are you bathing your beardie? How Often?
What are you feeding? How often?
Are you supplementing Calcium and Multivitamins? How often?
When was your beardies last poop?
When was his last fecal done?

chelchelchick

Original Poster
gulfbrzdawn":501ef said:
I believe "ty" means thank you. Is this the member who helped you with your set-up, maybe?
oh no that's not the person and Im not a sir...
What Brand and Type uvb are you using? fluorescent tube, coil, compact or mvb? It says Exo terra solar glo 120v? I have a big tank so its pretty big. Its not coil or tube. I dont know what mvb is?
What Watt and Brand basking bulb? that is the basking bilb I also have a normal light house lightbulb on it just so the whole tank is lit up and not dark
What size is the enclosure? I think its 40 gallon I could be wrong It was the biggest one they had at petsmart? I really dont know how big gallons are and I dont remember if thats what it is but I will check with petsmart today.
How close can your beardie get to his uvb and basking bulb? He cant get really that close there is a screen over the tank and the bulb isnt resting on it I have it on something a couple inches up.
What are you measuring temps with? digital thermometer w/wire and probe, dial, stick-on, temp gun? temp gun
Are you bathing your beardie? How Often? I bath him maybe every other week
What are you feeding? How often? I feed him dusted crickets everyday like 15 large or so, I also have phoenix worms but he stopped eating those as soon as I introduced him to crickets but I still try to give him some.
Are you supplementing Calcium and Multivitamins? How often? yes everytime I give him crickets.
When was your beardies last poop? his last poop was yesturday but he deff. doesnt poop everyday.
When was his last fecal done? never? if a fecal is some sort of test.

And it deff isnt shedding. I know what that looks like and this is discoloration on his moulth. Thats the only camera I have and another pic would probably look the same.

chelchelchick

Original Poster
Ok so i got home today and it has turned completely white...the rash thing on his moulth....its not shed heres a pic from earlier today...b4 it turned white...I made an apt at the vet but the earliest I can get is Fri and this vet killed my last one with too strong of meds for the wrong conditrion all togeth. so Im super worried /=
100_0116.jpg

100_0117.jpg

100_0127.jpg

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
It looks like he's getting ready to shed to me -- my girl dragon actually turns pink when she's getting shed spots, and my big boy dragon turns light tan, then gray, then whitish before it starts peeling. Has your dragon shed his face recently (snout area)? It looks like his forearms are doing it too, and a spot on his back leg in that pic on the screen?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That really looks like a regular shed to me. You can see that the top of his tail is also shedding too.
You are using an Exo terra Solar Glo 125 watt mercury vapor bulb? How far away is that from him? At that wattage, it needs to be 16-18 inches from your dragon, for safety.
Then, you have a 40 watt regular household light bulb on as well?
Since you are using a temp gun, they should be accurate. The recommended basking temps are 95-110 & the cool end should only be around 78-82. Otherwise, he can get overheated.
The calcium powder only needs to be used once daily, 5 times per week.

Tracie

chelchelchick

Original Poster
Ok ill feel really stupid if it's shed I've just never seen him turn colors like that before usually its normal then i look at him again and theres a layer of shed coming off....hes still a bit lazy/not hungry then usual...?

chelchelchick

Original Poster
Drache613":25e1a said:
Hello,

You are using an Exo terra Solar Glo 125 watt mercury vapor bulb? How far away is that from him? At that wattage, it needs to be 16-18 inches from your dragon, for safety.
Then, you have a 40 watt regular household light bulb on as well?
Since you are using a temp gun, they should be accurate. The recommended basking temps are 95-110 & the cool end should only be around 78-82. Otherwise, he can get overheated.
The calcium powder only needs to be used once daily, 5 times per week.

Tracie

Yes thats the exo terra solar glo...Its only 10 inches away from him and thats the farthest I can get it past that theres nothing to clamp it onto....but i have a screen so doesnt that block some of the rays? So maybe 10 is ok? I can't really get the cool side below 90 since it's summer time in California and in my room its 87 degrees so u add in that exo terra light and it's pretty hard to get the temps down but maybe he can deal for another month? until it cools down, I'm ordering a new solar glo lightbulb cuz its been 6 mos. ?? Hes hardly eating as much as he used to id say about 10 large krickets a day (that I have to chase towards him because he wont chase after them) He loves the squash and carrot baby food but I can only feed him so much because once it gets all over his face he throws a tantrum and rubs it all over the glass. I dont know why he's been so lazy with a littlw appitite lately i know he's too skinney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom