Dino's YF... Rest Easy my Lil' Friend :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi all, just checkin in. So, Dino hasn't been seen eating on her own again since Tuesday afternoon. :? She did take a giant poop today so, hoping, maybe she'll feel like eating again tomorrow. My son was kind enough to text me a picture of it! :lol: Her eyes are looking better, I think. She still tries to "get me" with her foot when I'm cleaning them and applying the ointment though. Almost outta Baytril. I have enough til Monday so, I'm gonna see if I can get her seen then. Got loads of stuff to pack up for her for the trip up north. That's a pain in the butt-packing all of her medical supplies. :roll: Gotta do what I gotta do though. It's "Snodeo Weekend" afterall!! :blob5: I wanted to share this link with you in case you wanted to read up on MRSA and the meds that work and don't work against it. :study: Have a great weekend everyone! Thanks again for all the posts of encouragement well wishes!! XOXO! Here's that link:
http://www.critterology.com/methicillin_resistant_staphylococcus_aureus_mrsa-205.html

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sue,

Just checking on you & Dino! I hope things are going well. It sounds like she is feeling better now?
Her eyes are slowly looking more clear too? I hope her spirits stay high. You have done a phenomenal job, she is so lucky. I wouldn't think she would be spoiled, right? LOL

Let me know if you need anything at all.

Tracie

corrieor

I came across this thread while searching for info on yf and just read from day one (well, I skimmed some, but got the details).

I have to say that you are AMAZING!!! Wow, your perseverance and advocacy for Dino are amazing.

I hope she's doing better and that the MRSA is going away - it's nasty stuff.

I have a suggestion for the eye and you're going to think I'm absolutely crazy, but if you know anyone who is a nursing mother, breast milk does fantastic things for eye (and skin) infections. Yes, I am a bit of a hippie at heart, but it has amazing healing properties. When I was still nursing my daughter, I had a burn that had turned yellow and puss filled and started to send red streaks up my arm - none of the OTC ointments were working and someone suggested that I put breastmilk on it - yes, I thought they were nuts - but I didn't have health insurance and was desperate, so I did. The yellow and redness was gone the next day. Do a google search for "healing properties of breastmilk."

Please, call me the crazy lady who usually lurks and pops on here with a random crazy suggestion, but I hate to see a beardie suffer.

Good luck with everything!!!

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Welcome Corrie and thank you for the encouragement. Somedays I reeeeally need it! As far as obtaining and trying the breast milk idea... I have to say that's a new one on me!! I've had honey suggested, but never breast milk. I'm in the "Over 40" club so, that might be kinda hard for me to get and try. I don't know any women that are currently lactating! Thanks for the thought though. You never know, it could be helpful for someone else lurking around on this thread! :lurk: So, I have to ask, why were you looking for info on YF? Is your beardie okay?? Do you know someone who's beardie has it?? :shock: I hope not!!

corrieor

LOL I'm also in the over 40 club, so no more lactating friends for me, either.

I'm looking for info because my big guy has shown a few signs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it's not. So far, he just has some yellowish areas on his belly that I think are retained scales. I'm loading him up with probiotics, going to start with grapefruits seed extract as soon as I have some baby food to mix it in, and am bathing him in betadine. I gave him Flagyl for trichomonas (pretty sure I spelled that wrong) and am just worried...and being cautious. It's hard to tell because he's trying to brumate right now as well so his appetite and energy are really low. He hasn't lost any weight, though, so I'm hoping it's all good.

Looking forward to more updates on Dino. She's certainly a survivor!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Who knew that milk + honey would be good for beardies ! :lol: I never heard anything about breast milk having all those good healing properties either, but it's a fact that babies who are breast fed develop better immune systems. Sue,as for your Dino, lot's of people are pulling for her, she deserves a break from her ordeal, and so does her mom. Corrior, if you think your beardie might have YF, it would be good to start a thread and post pictures so others could wegh in. You don't want to treat her if she's not ill, and of course if she DOES have it then you want to get on it right away. Posting pics might put your mind at ease.

corrieor

Milk & honey! I thought my friends were crazy when they suggested it, who knew it would work?!?!

I'm definitely going to post some pics on a separate thread. I need to get myself a bit more organized and do it when my daughter is here to hold him up. I'm really really really hoping it's nothing - I can't afford vet bills right now.
:(

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
There are so many different types of fungal infections. Some are just skin/topical that can be treated with o/c meds from your local drug store. I've just recently learned about honey's healing properties thanks to AHBD... "Milk & Honey" :lol: Who knew? is right!! I used Reptaid on Dino for a while, it made her really REALLY hungry! :shock: That might be one way to get your beardie's appetite up. Give them lots of energy too. Might knock him out of being sleepy... just a thought. http://www.reptaid.com/index.html It also has some parasite fighting ingredients. Not enough to kill off a really bad infestation though from what I've read others post about it. It has fungal fighting properties to it. Depending on the TYPE of fungus, it may or may not help. It appeared to help clear up some of Dino's symptoms in the beginning, but then she just started to bust out all over the place with lesions while we were using it. That's when I stopped it and headed to the animal hospital that we are currently being treated at.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It's great to know that the YF is done and she's healping from the last of it, that was an awful fight you two went through. So hopefully this infection gets gone soon, too, and you and Dino finally have time without meds for a change. I've been reading up on Reptaid, too, might look into that but first will get the Carnivore Care for Rubio, he's stopped eating so on babyfood right now (I always have some in stock, just in case) and see if that helps. He, Lonzo and Leo are going to the vet on Friday (yes, this should be interesting, having 3 with me). I have gym back, with shoeboxes inside to take them in. I wrap them all in their fleece blankies after they are really warm, warm up the car well and transport them that way, with the bags shut. That way they stay quiet and don't get out. The vet's only 20 min drive away, taking them in at 11a on Friday. At least my extra paychq in Feb is coming in handly. I just discovered that Leo's teeth are black, so checking him for mouth rot, then Lonzo get a 6 mo checkup every year for his right lung and just overall, because he's getting old. He's recently been puffing out his beard and clicking, so checking for RI as well, even though no other symptoms, he did throw up yesterday, it was clear, but still, getting it all checked out. I worry so about them all. Didi and Gabriel are fine, so they'll go in the summertime for their checkups.

Give Dino a hug for me, how are the meds treating the STAPH infection so far?
Deb

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I used the Reptaid on Dino for quite a while. There were no side effects other than her appetite doubled and she was able to gain a lot of weight. She was pretty small when I started it. It also makes them shed more. It was helpful to have her bulk up because when I realized it wasn't "curing" the fungal infection as it claims it does, :? I figured the extra weight would be helpful if any vet prescribed meds made her lose her appetite. Intraconozole DID make her lose it, Voriconozole did NOT make lose her appetite. And, as I said, she had lots of energy. So, I can say that about it to the good end. I think initially Dino also had a yeast infection from all the antibiotics she was on and not being told she needed probiotics as well. She was very crusty and yellowie all over her head (There is a pic of her looking that way at the very beginning of this thread). She was cleared of that problem before we found our current vet. So, it does help some infections but, not all. I think if things are minor and just starting out, it can be a huge help. Dino is going to the doctor this afternoon for a re-check of her eye. If I get a chance later, I will post some pics. I took some last night. Just gotta get them off the phone and onto photobucket. She is looking much better. She can open them up. NOW her ear problem seems to be back. It was starting to look like it was healing over, but last night, after her soak, when I was cleaning it, she was batting at me (she doesn't usually with the ear) and I got a lot of slimy, clear, stringy mucus out of it. More than usual. *sigh* I'm hoping the MRSA hasn't spread to the ear now. :roll: Always something. I'm also hoping we don't need to do another culture to the tune of $120. I'm getting low on funds! :shock: My daughters school stuff, all chorus related, is sucking me dry!! :shock: (We have a New York trip coming up and they want some $$Ca-Ching$$ too!) Anyway, gotta get to work! Talk soon everyone!!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
We need some new pictures of Dino. I am glad its going well for her and you and that infection in her eyes will be clearing up. I still think you did an awesome job with Dino. In all honesty I don't know if I would have the patience for everything you went through with your baby and to come out on top like you did. A very lucky dragon to have you as momma caring for her like you did and still do. Hope you have a great day today!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Here's hoping there's nothing seriously wrong with her ear, you guys have been through enought, already. I'm going to look into Reptaid but my just get him Carnivore Care, which I've used before and which worked really well. I mix it up with the chicken babyfood and it goes down really well. So I'll see. I've always been intrigued with the Reptaid and wondered if it really works, may get some anyway. My boys drive me nuts with the not eating and having to hand fed all the time.

So let me know how Dino fares at the vet. Good news, fingers crossed and it'll be great to see pics.

Good luck with your trip to New York, that's awesome that your daughter's in a choir!
Deb

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, good news from Doc: Dino's eyes are healing! :blob5: I knew that anyway, I just needed confirmation! :wink: She's been able to keep them open since the weekend so, the oinment needs to be continued for one week from that point. So, she can stop getting globbed up this weekend! YAAAY! She agrees with me that the ear looks "suspicious" and to keep putting the SSD cream on it. (I started that last night after her bath) We are done with the Baytril too. AAAAAAND she ate 3 super worms for me tonight without me wagging them in her face! I just put them in her dish and left her alone. I saw her lookin outta the corner of her eye at them. :twisted: Went back about 20 minutes later and 3 of the 4 were GONZO! :headbang: So she does have a small spot on her chest that's been there for a bit and I also forgot about the one on the bend of her arm. As soon as those are gone/fall of, we can stop the VC. The one on the fold of her arm is lifting a bit so, I don't think it will be much longer before she'll be off the med! How freakin' awesome will THAT BE?! So no more doctor visits for a WHOLE MONTH! I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself! :laughing6: Just gotta keep an eye on that ear and make sure it doesn't get any worse. *Fingers Crossed*
Deb, my daughter, my beautiful 17 Y/O girl, she sings like an angel!! :love5: Not braggin' or anything BUT: She's in the A Cappella club, the school Chorale (like chorus but you have to "try out" and be selected), she was in the Massachusetts District Chorus last year and this year (another try out/selected) and she is going to be part of the All State Chorus as well (try out/selected) which will be at Symphony Hall in Boston. She is going to be the lead female in the play this year for Guys and Dolls. She is playing the part of Sarah!! The New York trip is going to be with the school's music program. They are performing in NY somewhere, I don't know where yet. I'm going as a chaperone. She's been taking voice lessons since she was in 4th grade!! OH- and I sent her off to New Jersey in 2010, when they dropped the age to 15, with my sister to try out for American Idol. She didn't make it passed the first group of judges, but she was so excited to have gone!! She wants to major in Voice in college... go figure! :lol:

Tonja

BD.org Addict
OMGosh how wonderful is that about Dino, I am so happy for you. You must be in Heaven with that news, I would be doing the happy dance and yelping at the top of my lungs. Im sure her ear will be fine and as for her chest and leg spot, once those lift off she will be fine Im sure. As for your daughter, congrats. She sounds amazing and am happy for her that she is able to go to NYC. That must make momma very proud as Im sure you are.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Awww :love5: Thanks Tonja!! They both make me proud and wanna do the happy dance!! :blob5: :blob8: My lil' girlz!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom