Dino's YF... Rest Easy my Lil' Friend :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedyfuzzball

Hatchling Member
I'm so sorry Sue =( I would be terrified too if I was you. I'm really hoping that she does better on intraconazole this time. Maybe it was just because she was also on the nebulizer that she didn't do so well. I'm really hoping this is the last set of meds she'll need to fully recover.. I'm wishing you luck, sending my prayers, crossing my fingers AND toes for Dino <3

And I 100% agree with the "perfect pet store" thing. I'd also have customers take and pass a test on proper care/husbandry/feeders, etc etc on the animal before they're allowed to purchase him/her. I don't think it's the employees job to teach everything to a customer who's clueless about the animal. The customer should do research beforehand AND the employees should also have the right information to give out IN Case there are any questions.

Fellowdt23

Hatchling Member
I googled, and one site referenced this site, where I found this.

link [www.reptilerooms.com]

Treatments that have had success:
MAKE SURE YOU CONSULT WITH YOUR VETERINARIAN BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO MEDICATE ANY ANIMAL

Bathing/soaking- Nolvasan or a genetic of it:. Nolvasan soaks or spray on the affected area (not the eyes) and at least one inch out from the areas you see affected for at least 20 - 30minutes in the AM. What I have done is set them in a rubberrmaid or sterlite tub ans misted the areas. For around the eyes use a q-tip to apply the Nolvasan and keep it out of the eyes. Rinse, dry and then put on a thin layer of the lamisil. Repeat the thin layer of lamisil at night again. If the skin/scales get too sore, you can cut back to every other day for the soaks and clear water rinses.. The Nolvasan is very vital to the treatment, without it you are not reaching the active fungus or you are just appling the Topicals to dead tissue. You may see skin/scales slough off, the Nolvasan is not causing this, it is already there as dead skin and scales, the Nolvasan is only revealing it. Contact me if you have any questions about this and I do have photos of it also, this may happen and is normal if the fungus has got deep into the tissue.

Topical (external) Medication: Miconazole 2%; Tioconazole ( this is found in Monistat); Lamisil, or any product with terbinafine hydrochloride 1% in it; this from the data we have collected is the most effective in turning the fungus black and killing it externally; You can also use Zylafen; Gentamicin Sulfate and Gentamicin Sulfate Ophthalmic solution 0.3% to treat the wounds with.

Probiotics: We found a good product called Acidophiliz+, that is said to be Veterinarian recommended and we also note that it contains the two main ingredients that we have had good success with and the bearded dragons took well. It is made by Pet Authority and we located it in a pet store chain, but you can order it online if you click on the name of it above. Give the reptile some Acidolphiliz+ daily to try and restore the gut fauna with good bacteria. Use Up to 1/2 a dropper of Acidolphiliz+ (but at least .10 cc).

Possible other sources of replacement of "Good Bacteria" : Acidophilus, Nutra-Bac, Essential Probiotics, Bifidus Balance, Jarro-Dophilus, Nutri-Bac and Acidophilus Blend Digestive Suppory by Rexell found in Walmarts.

Oral (internal) Medications: These MUST be Medically Supervised by a veterinarian. These can be harsh meds on their systems and this needs to be discussed in detail with your Vet and you aware of possible side affects We can not stress enough watching hydration, these meds are especially harsh on kidneys and livers when they already have internal problems with them from the fungus: Fluconazole; Itraconazole; Terbinafine (only one type used at a time). Oral antifungal are a last ditch effort AFTER all else has fails.

I suggest you follow the other treatment routine information exactly first to see if it can be controlled or cleared it first without the harsh medications and the problems they add. We have spent years working with these routines now and hundreds of dragons to get this one that is the most successful with least side affects. Many times, for some reason, people do not follow it or leave out one of the factors and then have problems still or lose their dragons. I suggest you only go to oral antifungal medications as a final resource to save them. There are some being tested with Nystatin right now that seems to be tolerated betters than the iothers listed above, so I will keep this updated on that or discuss it with your veterinarian and see what they suggest.

Bearded dragons that have contracted the external fungus from another dragon, rather than being producers (dragons which have developed the infection internally possibly after treatment with antibiotics), may not need to be treated internally with the oral medications. Often the soaks and topical anitfungals will clear them or other added items that will be listed below.

Other Options besides Oral Antifungal Medications: Both the Echinacea and the Grapefruit Seed Extract are showing success in really hard to treat animals that the nolvasan and topical antifungal are not clearing. Also in ones that react poorly to the internal antifungal medications They come in a liquid form and you can add a drop or two of each to some food that you know they eat all of. This has worked when even the oral meds were failing or taking their toll on dragons and they needed to be taken off them.

Use a non particle substrate while treating, shelf liner, paper towel or carpet is best and change it, wipe down or clean it daily

Time Duration: Keep up all treatment for at least 2 weeks past the time you see the last traces of any active fungus. If it returns, restart the same routine and continue it longer past the time you see it clear, I recommend a month.

Please discuss with your veterinarian about trying this routine before you try the harsher oral antifungal and if it fails then you can try them later, also stop all fruits. Fruits have sugar, sugar feeds molds/yeast, you need to delete the sugars from their diets while treating them for yellow fungus. Give fresh rich greens, pellets if your can not do insects or fed them insect, they need some animals protein to help fight this and keep their immune system strong[/p].

For more information about this illness, photos and owner discussion please see : Yahoo! : Pogona_Diseases Group

Good luck you could maybe discuss those other treatments

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Fellow...I've done a lot of the above mentioned, unfortunately, it's not just a surface infection, it's systemic so, treating it topically isn't going to get rid of it. =( I thank you for looking into that and posting all that information though, someone else may come across it here and be helped by it! <3
So I like the new vet, not AS MUCH as the other vet. She didn't spend as much time with me going over things, she sent in the tech-which is fine, BUT she seemed super busy, probably because she's the only one on staff right now... Anyway, new Doc is up on her reptiles too, so I'm happy about that! :D She successfully treated a tegu with yellow fungus, so she does have a personal experience dealing with it, just like the other doc. And she told me, "It's a very LONNNNG process." Yeah, I know. :( She thinks Dino was probably BORN with the yellow fungus, it's a different strain of fungus than what she would've contracted from mites. INTERESTING. She actually advised me to call the pet shop that I got Dino from and let them know. More INTERESTING. I need to look into that more-the being born with it thing. She said it would start in times of stress. Makes sense, she started to break out with it during the whole pnuemonia episode. Vet tech was great too. When I told her about the meds combo Dino was on in April, IC & Amakacin, her eyes popped outta her head :shock: "Amakacin is very harsh on their system! WOW." Makes me real confident in this Animal Hospital, they all know something about reptiles! :blob5:
Oh-the stitches couldn't be taken out, when she tried to remove them, the whole area was peeling away, so she left them there. :( Looks so ucky! I was afraid of that, I could see the fungus sore growing over them. We will go back in a month to try again for that. Doesn't seem to be bothering Dino in any way soooo, we wait.
So, waiting for the local Mom & Pop pharmacy to make the intraconazole compound-CVS doesn't do it. I don't know WHY it's not ready, they've had the script since last THURSDAY!! :angry5: I have her Ceftazadime injections for the bacterial infection. She gets one shot every 3 days, 7 doses total. The IC will be given one week on, 3 weeks off. I was given a big tube of Bene-Bac gel for the probiotic. She will get that everyday (she's already been getting that 2x a week anyway) And so it begins.... 8)

jewl495

Juvie Member
I'm glad you liked her, what a relief! :-D I've been told many years ago that it was believed that dragons were born with the fungus and that it was very rampant in the pet stores. They just don't clean their tanks well enough and it makes since that they are possibly born with it. Its amazing how common fungal issues have become there has to be a reason for it. I do think when they are given antibiotics the threat is there...did Dino have probiotics at that time? The sad thing is most vets will happily send you on your merry little way without a mention of probiotics and most people don't know any better. Really, why should we have to? :angry5: Unfortunately it can spin out of control and our little guys pay the price.
Anyhow Im sending you positive vibes for Dino :love5: for this round of meds! I know your worried sick and I would be too! I have high hopes that everything will go smoothly for you!!!

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Julie, no, Dino didn't get probiotics the whole time she was being treated by the first vet. I mentioned it to her after seeing it here, on bd.org, and she said, "There's no scientific evidence that it's of any benefit to reptiles." :x After I saw it posted around here a few times, I started giving her the Bene-bac while she was on the Reptaid. I've continued to give it to her once or twice a week even though she hasn't been on any meds for a while. I never got or started the bee pollen either. After seeing vet #3 (the good one!), I knew we would be starting a course of meds at some point after getting the YF test done and didn't want to comprimise the effects of it with anything else in her system. Thanks for sending the positivity our way...we'll need it for sure!

I got her meds after work and I was home alone tonight. Kids are out. I had to fight with Dino to get the first dose into her. :( During our "scuffle", her lesion/scab that grew over the stitches came OFF with the stitch attached. Then, another lesion/scab on her beard came off. Her first couple of doses are 1/2 per the vet. Just to be a little easier on her tummy. I put her in a container and gave her newly opened sores a quick little rinse with the cleasing wash I was given to use after her biopsy. I held her on my shoulder while I had a good cry for myself looking for strength to get through this. :cry: Note to self: Make sure one of the kids are home EVERY NIGHT for the NEXT 6 NIGHTS IN A ROW. Assistance is needed to give Dino oral meds. You can't do it without someone's help. Not looking forward to having to give her both a shot and an oral dose every 3rd day. :(

:wink: @Spitty! Thanks for making me smile...

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh yeah, and I did have the vet take a blood sample yesterday too. Just wanted to have something current to go by if she starts to go down hill while on the meds. *Fingers Crossed* that that won't happen this time!!!!!

speedyfuzzball

Hatchling Member
OMG, I'm so sorry Sue =( =( =( I've had the same problems with Yoshi when trying to feed him and during our struggle, pieces of skin would fall off that weren't ready and I'd always freak out. I really hope they'll heal up for you nicely and not cause any additional problems. I'm sorry you've been having to go through this for so long, you must be exhausted physically and emotionally =( You are doing SUCH a great job! Please keep up the good work and stay strong <3

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Joanne! <3 I already told my son, "I need you to be home... every night when I get home from work." My daughter is the back up plan, she's usually home around that time. We should be fine, as long as I have that extra pair of hands. I've been stressed since last week about Dino thinking about starting the meds. I was due for a melt down... :roll:

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
For me it a box of Cheez-Its & a Bud Light in front of the computer, tonight it's a can of Coke... :silent: I clicked your eggs btw :D

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Sue, you can absolutely do this. We believe in you. With the stress you're under, I'm surprised you're not in tears every day. I've found that meltdowns are best followed by chocolate. :wink:

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes Esther, I need to replenish the chocolate supply in this house...it's nil right now! :shock: Next, I'll be hitting the Coke Ice Cream Float.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom