Difficulty walking/pain in shoulder/neck area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazonia

HI

My beardie Nioka was being treated for an abscess in his jaw for the last couple of months but I've noticed he's not walking properly as well. Kind of flopping his way around. Had him at the vet yesterday and she took blood and did an x-ray on his arm after he flinched when she manipulated it. Got another type of painkiller (now on both metacam and tramadol) to see if that helps but I'll take him back if it doesn't do anything. I noticed tonight when I was feeding him that he was having difficulty lowering his head to pick food up from the ground and his head was almost vibrating as he did so. I fed him the rest on tongs at mouth level so he didn't exert himself and that was fine. He's still having difficulty moving though but the vet said he was going crazy glass dancing in their viv, might have been stressed out in there though and wanting out. I'm quite worried about my baby :(

Someone on another forum mentioned MBD or adenovirus but his x-rays have always showed strong bones/good bone density so they don't think it's MBD. She said they could test for adenovirus but she didn't think it was that either she thinks it's pain coming from his shoulders. I feel so bad for my little man :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon is having some trouble walking right now.
His jaw injury is affecting his activity & his walking also? That is too bad.
The x-rays are good indicators of bone density but sometimes don't always reflect the true blood serum calcium levels at the immediate time. It can take time for the bones to become leached if calcium intake is low or absorption is insufficient.
Which UVB lights are you using & what is your supplementation of calcium like?
Is he eating very well then? What foods is he eating right now?

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Could be the meds since it started after getting 2 new RX.
Ultram (tramadol) is extremely potent. The chemical mimics a narcotic and fits into the same receptor sites. Can cause dizziness, fainting, confusion, respiratory distress....
Mobic (metacam) is a potent antiinflammatory. Side effects are numbness/weakness on one side, horrible headaches, vision problems, problems walking....list is extensive.
Stop meds and call the vet right away to get advice.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing this evening, any improvements?
Is he still shaky? I hope he is feeling better. I agree, painkillers do not always work well on them & Tramadol does have some bad side effects.

Tracie

Amazonia

Original Poster
Hi there, thanks for the replies. I'm on holiday just now and my mum is looking after him. He seemed ok when I left, I gave him a bath and he had a poo.

He has the 12% Arcadia UV tube and it's good until next year. Eating some roaches and morios, not eating veg just now but he's always been very fussy. He's a rescue, I've had him 5 years.

He's been on the Metacam for the abscess for a couple of months but just started Tramadol on Friday for the arm/shoulder pain. I've been told to see a different vet so I'll do that when I'm home.

Amazonia

Original Poster
Forgot to say the jaw abscess doesn't seem to cause him difficulties walking or anything, but he had it drained and I was injecting him with antibiotics for a while too.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, he has had a rough time since he jaw abscess. I think the Tramadol could be really bothering him. He would do better on the metacam for pain management.
Has he started walking better?
I am glad your mom is able to care for him while you are on holiday right now.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Both mobic and ultram have nasty side effects. Mobic has a bunch of GI stuff along with difficulty walking. Ultram actually has less side effects, but I feel its overkill for the problem.
Its a risk/reward thing...and I don't think the risk is worth the reward. I hate to see an animal in pain...but if it were me I would stop the meds since they don't do anything other than help with pain. If the animal seems less painful without the meds then there wouldn't be much reason to give them.
I have been on both mobic and ultram because I have had a couple back surgeries. I had to stop both of those meds because of horrible side effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom