Dewey's Thread: Updated: 9/6/12 He's Very Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received Dewey on 1/13/10. After having him for a couple of days I officially decided to name him Dewey. Since he now has a name I thought I should make a thread dedicated to him so I can share our journey and his growth with all of you. :)

Being my first beardie, Dewey will always have a very special place in my heart. He's been a pure joy to have so far. Especially now that he's starting to come out of his shell little by little every day. I'm truly excited to see how he will develop in the months to come.

So, enough babble... here are the first set of pictures which I took tonight.

Hanging out on his vine. I wasn't expecting Dewey to be as small as he is. Yesterday was the first time he was seen up on his vine and he was up there again today. He seems to be a pro with navigating it!
vine1.jpg

vine2.jpg

vine3.jpg

Here's Dewey all wrapped up just before bed time. :)
sleep2.jpg

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Mr. Dewey's still got a bit of a black beard. I'm beginning to wonder if he'll always have it.:?

I got a little bit of a scare this afternoon when I came home. Dewey's front left leg had started to shed. I wasn't expecting it and from a distance it looked like had hurt it somehow! I was so relieved to see it was just shedding.

Tonight I tried getting a shot of him next to a tape measure so I could see how long he is. Looks like he's just about 9" long. After that shot it was off for a bath which he seemed to enjoy immensly tonight! I think he's getting irritated by the shedding so I'll keep bathing him nightly until he gets through it. Here are tonight's shots... :)

length.jpg

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

shed3.jpg

He seems to like grabbing onto my thumb so I snapped a quick picture. I thought it was cute! :)
thumb.jpg

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys! Am I doing good with the rule of posting pictures dailly? ;)

Here are some from today. He was hungry for supper today. Phoenix Worms were on the menu. This was the first time he allowed me to photograph him while ate. He was SOOOOOOOO into his meal! :D

"MMmmmmMMmmmm.... my favorite!!!"
eat.jpg

"D-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!!"
eat2.jpg

"That was soooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooood!!!"
eat3.jpg

"I am so full!"
full.jpg

"I need to go lay down for a while!"
bask.jpg

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I'm sure you've said that before, it's just too much work to dig through threads! I am getting so paranoid about bulbs right now with problems other people have had, but I havn't heard any problems with the reptisun 10 tube. Lilly has a nearly constant black beard when she is in her tank. (I can't remember if I've told you this or not). I was freaking out about her setup, until I was told it's because I pick her up and snuggle her whenever she black beards!

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
Dewey is SUCH a ham! Too handsome!!

Sara, Phoenix does the same thing sometimes. Isn't that sweet? :love5:

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
More up to date photos of my little guy. Ever since I joined this website I've heard about how amazing these animals are and I have to say that I'm getting to see that first hand. Dewey has been amazing since day one and he continues to grow on me. I have a tendency of getting attached to animals very easily which hasn't been difficult at all with Dewey.

One of my favorite things about Dewey is how he explores. He has this curiousity about him and he loves to lick things! I've read that this is normal, but it's just so darn cute! He'll look at something for several seconds and then he'll dash over to it so he can stick his tongue on it. He's just way to adorable for his own good! :lol:

I love this little guy so much and it's only been 9 days since I got him! :love5:

"What's that?"
new1.jpg

Basking after a meal of Phoenix Worms. He's starting to get a little bit of a chubby belly. So precious! :)
new2.jpg

Dewey's only 9" long and I haven't gotten brave enough to let him roam around on the floor just yet. He seems content with running around on my computer desk for now.
new3.jpg

Hard to believe that he won't fit in my palm like this much longer.
new4.jpg

This is one of my favorite photos of Dewey to date. I'm still a little worried about his seemingly permanent black beard. I keep hoping it'll go away, but so far it has not. :(
new5.jpg

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks! Trust me, it's not that I think it's ugly! I've read that the black beard can be a sign of stress or discomfort and that's what worries me. I'd hate for something to be wrong, but not knowing it's wrong. If it's something fixable I really do want to fix it! :)

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
My little Phoenix has a mild blackbeard for a while. Some beardies handle stress differently. So I wouldn't stress over it being something YOU did. He is a baby and the world is still new and scary. Give it time.

Some beardies just have blackbeards. Only time will tell. Don't stress it hon. You're a wonderful beardie parent. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beardies4life
Top Bottom