Crickets on the loose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got home today to find our dogs had knocked our cricket container off of their kennel into the bathtub sending hundreds of 1/4" chirpers into the wild comforts of our home. A few renegades had escaped the smooth confines of the tub which were promptly orecked, the less adventurous huddled in their social clicks like they were waiting for the Red Cross to show up. I closed the tub drain, realizing I was sentencing possibly hundreds to their uncertain doom, but I had to put emotions aside and tend to the task at hand. I began the tedious chore of collecting the cricket cuisine, unfortunately severing limbs and other fatal wounds with, ironically, an empty bandaid box. Eventually, I had gathered the masses and began the next stage of the mission, cleaning the tub. I turned on the water, figuring these guys were so small, they would just take a river ride and disappear, out of site out of mind. But the water would not even drain. I got desperate, could they have formed some sort of arachnid clog? I grabbed the plunger and went to work. I tried and tried but the bug ball would not budge. As I stood up to go retrieve a sewer snake, I noticed the drain lever was still closed. Sure am glad nobody was around to see that.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
lol, social clicks....

i would suggest buying a bug vacuum (toys r us sells them), it makes life much easier to catch the escapees.

FishboneNC

Hatchling Member
Very funny!

I also had an issue with a cricket escape, but my dogs and that lazy cat came to my rescue.

As I un-knowingly cut the tape of a seemingly inconspicuous USPS box...thinking another box would be inside...which should have held the crickets.
To my surprise is was an all out cricket attack!
They sneakily had the smallest of the small crickets lodge themselves in the creases of this complicated shipping box. When I opened that cover the small ones made a break for it, some went the wrong way...on me..I immediately took control of the situation and caught the first few, which I immediately found out it was a trick...AFTER I let go of the cover to catch the few that escaped! Another 6 or more were now leaping away.
Without hesitation, I called for help... "Clean UP" that is a codeword my other mammals have arranged for me to use when food has fallen on the floor, my lab, border collie and even my lazy cat have come to know a tasty treat is theirs.

The lab was the first to figure out what was edible, he's been known to eat many things that move and some that don't move...like my hammer handle, the door knob etc.
It was an all out feast!

I have to wonder if your dogs were looking for a free meal by knocking the crickets in the tub?

joea

Hatchling Member
Cool-Starry-Bra.jpg
:mrgreen:

StaceysBuddy

Juvie Member
Haha, that's too funny. The drain sounds like something I would do. Think the worst possible senario where it's a ball of crickets rather than the drain stopper. Haha.
I'm the WORST at crickets. You'd imagine that I would get over the "fear" of bugs by now, having Buddy for over a year. I still won't actually touch any bugs. I use tongs for all worms. Rather not even deal with crickets.
When I moved out of my Iowa house, and moved all the stuff in my room out (bed, dresser..) We found more crickets, alive. When they would get away from me, I would try to catch them with a tissue, but then give up. Whoops. My boyfriend usually does the cricket feeding =] I stick with greens and supers.

And dubias... omg. Those are so sick looking! Tongs aren't big enough for those bad boys. I improvise with those.. like kitchen tongs or the black tubes to a cricket keeper. I have only ever bought 4 dubias ever.

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
Im still wondering why the heck joea posted that bra picture???? lol I know how you feel StaceysBuddy. I hate bugs! I can handle crickets to a point though. I used to work at Petco and I had to bag them up all the time which require reaching in to a big tub of them. I don't think I could handle Dubias even though I bet Thor would love them. I don't even like touching Phoenix worms I use a non used coffee stirrer to scoop them out of the cup. Plus I don't feed these to her but I HATE SPIDERS! I can enjoy the harmless ones from afar but I don't want any of them near me. The only bugs I dont mind holding are lady bugs, rolly polies, and those black fuzzy caterpillars
junior+050710.JPG

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
OMG! so funny! i had ordered 1000 crickets and they hand't been packaged properly and i had 700 crickets running around my bedroom and house. i lived above a store so they went down there to eat the food... lol i hate crickets. worms forever

BIRD

Original Poster
We've experienced the "damaged packaging" as well. We live in a secure condo building which is nice because deliveries get put inside out of the elements. But not nice when the screened box is obviously parially destroyed and an inquisitive neighbor wants to know what you're vacuming up. bunnyrut, thanks for the tip on the bug vacuum! I'm pretty sure Santa will make a pitstop at ToyzRus if I'm a good boy! joea, thanks for the, um, er, well, contribution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom