could someone coach me on coccidia cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Ok, Nemesis has coccidia, not a ton, but more than she should. I'll be getting meds tomorrow. Her viv has wooden walls and glued down tile flooring. I have been told to steam clean, which I can do, but how often? And how do I steam clean wooden walls? Is it safe? Also, she roams my carpet, it is safe to assume that my carpet is also infected? My goal here is to keep her from re infecting herself and from not infecting my other dragon (he just had a fecal 2 days ago and does NOT have coccidia).
Any and all advice is welcome.

doe222

Juvie Member
basically coccidia and other parasites are transmitted through thier feces. unless he poops on your carpet your carpets fine, and you dont really have to steam clean unless you want too. what i did was when i got home from the vet and caesar was diagnosed with pinworms i did a 20 part water 1 part bleach solution and sprayed down his entire viv and wiped. than wiped with water and let dry before putting him in. than from there on out, when he pooped ( i got him paper trained) i would clean the spot underneath with bleach solution and everywhere he walks just incase he dragged it along with him. and throw out the paper. and his veggie food dish i cleaned everyday. you dont want him to re injest the parasites. IMO unless you have more than 1 beardie a steamer isnt necessary. with 1 beardie you can let him run around your room while you clean it with bleach w/o have to worry too much. with multiple im sure it would be more difficult to do that. steaming just less of a hassel i guess but i personally like the bleach solution myself. make sure if you do use bleach to dillute it fairly well you dont want it smelling like bleach for to long. doesnt take that much to kill the coccidia.

bltkpo

Juvie Member
Bindy had Coccidia in January, and we wiped down wherever she pooped with HOT HOT HOT water and vinegar. (Well, actually we took out whatever she pooed on and rinsed with boiling water but if yours is attached to the tank then I guess that's a bit tricky :p) That and with the meds brought her back to normal levels in no time! :D

Good luck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom