Cost of feeding....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rutabaga

Hi. I'm still doing all my research before I purchase a BD. Can someone tell me the estimated monthly cost of feeding a baby beardie? I was looking at feeding reptiworms instead of crickets or roaches because crickets just creep me out too much and roaches...well I just can't deal with roaches in my house.

Is a diet of reptiworms and greens and calcium dusting enough for a baby beadie? Or are reptiworms not the proper worms at all?

Thanks!!

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
you are going to hate me for saying this but roaches are the best path once your colony is up and going you will never have to buy feeders again
we were spending 150 just on crickets per month

My male eats 30-35 crickets a day I get 80 crickets from Petco every 2nd day or so. There about $9.00 every time thats about $135 month. Still working on getting the roache colony up. But will say I luv the roaches no smell.

Rutabaga

Original Poster
Tastiger....I did some research this morning on breeding Dubia colonies. If I can get past the heebeegeebee's of roaches it sounds super easy to do. The plus is they don't fly and can't climb the plastic tubs.

If I start trying to build a colony now...I should have a pretty good bunch by this February or March when I am looking to get my beardie, right??

Tricky part now is convincing my husband...he is terrified of bugs!!

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
how i did it was i explained how much money it saved money always wins them over and i use the gigantic feeding tongs to get them out it helps

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
as soon as you can tell they are breeding successfully then it would be a great idea to get your baby

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
We are just now starting the dubia too. I have had this horribly fear of roaches. YUCK. my hubby does too. But a friend explained them to us and how they would be better for our babies and help on costs too. So we are hooked and gonna get a colony going. The bins were super easy to build and only about $5 each to build. We still have tons of worms so we are gonna switch slow and get the colony going and get them used to the dubia. We have the really long bbq tong for ours.
They are still creepy. But if the babies like them that is all that matters.

keen77

Hatchling Member
Hey guys! I'm new here. Got a normal from Pet Smart for my little girl and our family fell in love with her. So then I got another one from a breeder online Greathouse farms she is a Sandfire Pastel x Millspaugh Red, really pretty and so much more chill than the normal. I started a roach colony and they just had babies! My dragons love 'em, but I'm trying to hold off feeding off em for a while til they get a little more established. Also a tip to save on crickets, hit up your local bait shop. 100 for $5.00 I've started raising meal worms too and have my first beetle.

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
mealies really aren't good for dragons that young. the exoskeleton on them is to hard to digest and can cause an impaction. It is just really not recommended by anyone on here.

keen77

Hatchling Member
I keep a close eye to ensure no impaction but yea not worth the risk. I have tried to buy wax worms twice from Pet Smart and they were all dead, but I know those are just for treats.

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
www.mulberryfarms.com is good for waxies and butters and www.greatlakeshornworm.com is great for hornworms you can get hornworm cups or you can get hornworm eggs and raise them to whatever size you need. They are soft and they are good feeders. They are also safe feeders. Mulberry farms also has silkworms. Also www.silkwormshop.com is also good for silkworms. just some alternatives for worms that are much safer. You could also start a dubia colony and feed them dubia. That is better than crix as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom