constipated

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
I think Reggie might be constipated and im a little concerned. i believe its been around a week since he last pooped but im not certain. he is 8 months old. ive given him two baths today and gently massaged his belly to try and get things moving but all i got was a black beard. he doesnt normally black beard in the bath(or at all) so im thinking that the rubbing his belly is uncomfortable for him. i plan on taking him off bugs for a few days and soaking him daily. is there any other suggestions? should i stop with the belly massages because they seem to make him uncomfortable? also when i rub his belly i can feel a very firm log type thing on both of his sides. is it normal or poop or something else?

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
This is him and his set up (he's getting a cage clean this weekend and the orange on his face is just some dried pumpkin). I was told when I got him that he was 6 weeks old so I'm fairly certain of his age. I'm don't actually know if he's a boy or not yet. He's outgrown the scale but he seems to have lost a little weight over this course of this not eating and stuff but he was pretty hefty before. He's a little over 15 inches long.

Attachments

• 16924047199948515002863527345737.jpg
    16924047199948515002863527345737.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 16924047569328991078532221581775.jpg
    16924047569328991078532221581775.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 42
  • 16924047914084995806100968866091.jpg
    16924047914084995806100968866091.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 16924048481152032512762545731754.jpg
    16924048481152032512762545731754.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 42

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks fine, are you positive that the temps. are good , basking spot around 100, cool end 80 ? How much is he eating in the past 2 weeks, and did he eat very large insects at any point ?

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
He looks fine, are you positive that the temps. are good , basking spot around 100, cool end 80 ? How much is he eating in the past 2 weeks, and did he eat very large insects at any point ?

his temps have been a little lower the past 2 or 3 days due to a heat lamp going out but I'm gonna get a new one. It's not his main one just an extra that I use to keep it a little warmer. Normally his cool side is high 70s, warm high 80s, and basking mid/high 90s. He hasn't eaten very much in the past 2 weeks. Mostly pumpkin I make him eat as well as a horn worm or two every day or 2. Some days I can get him to eat some dubias but others I can't. The only way I can think of him getting a hold of an oversized bug is if it was hiding in a crevice of his cage and managed to get big before he found it. He doesn't normally eat his salad but when he does they are always cut into smaller pieces.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Other than not eating much + not pooping does he seem normal ? I think it's just a phase and that the 2 lumps are normal part of his anatomy . I think he'll go pretty soon. Have you tried a warmer than usual bath , make it a bit deeper as well. Or taking him out to run in the yard [ if you have one ] on a hot day ? Try some raw honey or veg. oil mixed with anything he eats, too.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Other than not eating much + not pooping does he seem normal ? I think it's just a phase and that the 2 lumps are normal part of his anatomy . I think he'll go pretty soon. Have you tried a warmer than usual bath , make it a bit deeper as well. Or taking him out to run in the yard [ if you have one ] on a hot day ? Try some raw honey or veg. oil mixed with anything he eats, too.
The only other thing I've noticed is he seems a bit less keen in basking and would rather just chill out under his log(which is still under the basking lamp, just not as close as his hammock) I don't really have a way to test the temp of the water but it's always pretty warm. Normally what I do is let him chill in a normal bath for a while then drain a little and fill it up a little deeper so his body gets more and he can swim if he likes. The weather is still nice here so I might try taking him out in the yard some because I know he enjoys being outside. I will also try the vegetable oil and maybe honey.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
he pooped!!!

last night i gave him his pumpkin with some vegetable oil and honey mixed in and today he pooped. it looks pretty normal besides being big and a little darker than normal but i assume thats just cause he probably got a little dehydrated. thank you guys for the help i was getting pretty worried and i really appreciate it. i cant really get him tested for parasites considering this is a sunday but if it happens again we will definitely try and get it done.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom