constipated

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
I think Reggie might be constipated and im a little concerned. i believe its been around a week since he last pooped but im not certain. he is 8 months old. ive given him two baths today and gently massaged his belly to try and get things moving but all i got was a black beard. he doesnt normally black beard in the bath(or at all) so im thinking that the rubbing his belly is uncomfortable for him. i plan on taking him off bugs for a few days and soaking him daily. is there any other suggestions? should i stop with the belly massages because they seem to make him uncomfortable? also when i rub his belly i can feel a very firm log type thing on both of his sides. is it normal or poop or something else?

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
ok i just tried to feed him and he wasnt interested in anything. he watched a bug crawl by him once but thats it. i tried with dusted and undusted dubias and a superworm. he always eats at least his dusted bugs so im a little worried.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Probably 4 days since he last ate. He hasn't pooped in Probably 1 week and a half or 2 weeks. It very well could be more though.
With temps and UVB correct he will eventually go --- not unusual for them to go off their food either - just keep an eye on his weight - if hes losing it then it would be good to get a fecal in for a parasite test and go from there - have you been feeding the baby food pumpkin?

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
With temps and UVB correct he will eventually go --- not unusual for them to go off their food either - just keep an eye on his weight - if hes losing it then it would be good to get a fecal in for a parasite test and go from there - have you been feeding the baby food pumpkin?
No but I can grab some today and start. How would they be able to do the fecal if he can't poop?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No but I can grab some today and start. How would they be able to do the fecal if he can't poop?
The baby food pumpkin will make him go - add a drop of olive oil and a drop of honey for sweet - keep feeding till he poops - then you will have your sample - 24 hr -

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
The baby food pumpkin will make him go - add a drop of olive oil and a drop of honey for sweet - keep feeding till he poops - then you will have your sample - 24 hr -
So when I get home I just don't stop feeding it til he poops or only if he starts losing weight?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So when I get home I just don't stop feeding it til he poops or only if he starts losing weight?
It should only take a few days for him to go poop w/ the pumpkin-- take that sample in to the vet for parasite testing - is he losing weight? Does his poop smell so bad it makes you leave the room? Is it real runny when he goes ? These could be signs of parasites - if they get too bad the dragon will become lethargic not eat etc -- just feed the pumpkin till he goes to the bathroom

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
update

he still has not pooped. ive been trying with the baby food pumpkin and hornworms and still nothing. i just gave him a bath and the lumps on his sides seem to feel harder and he tries to pull away when i apply pressure. should a vet appointment be made at this point? sometimes he will eat on his own but other times i have to open his mouth to get him to eat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
update

he still has not pooped. ive been trying with the baby food pumpkin and hornworms and still nothing. i just gave him a bath and the lumps on his sides seem to feel harder and he tries to pull away when i apply pressure. should a vet appointment be made at this point? sometimes he will eat on his own but other times i have to open his mouth to get him to eat.
Is it possible he has an obstruction --- lets have AHBD and Tracie weigh in on this
@AHBD
@Drache613

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom