constipated

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
I think Reggie might be constipated and im a little concerned. i believe its been around a week since he last pooped but im not certain. he is 8 months old. ive given him two baths today and gently massaged his belly to try and get things moving but all i got was a black beard. he doesnt normally black beard in the bath(or at all) so im thinking that the rubbing his belly is uncomfortable for him. i plan on taking him off bugs for a few days and soaking him daily. is there any other suggestions? should i stop with the belly massages because they seem to make him uncomfortable? also when i rub his belly i can feel a very firm log type thing on both of his sides. is it normal or poop or something else?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I think Reggie might be constipated and im a little concerned. i believe its been around a week since he last pooped but im not certain. he is 8 months old. ive given him two baths today and gently massaged his belly to try and get things moving but all i got was a black beard. he doesnt normally black beard in the bath(or at all) so im thinking that the rubbing his belly is uncomfortable for him. i plan on taking him off bugs for a few days and soaking him daily. is there any other suggestions? should i stop with the belly massages because they seem to make him uncomfortable? also when i rub his belly i can feel a very firm log type thing on both of his sides. is it normal or poop or something else?
Let him poop on his own- as they get older they tend not to poop as often- as long as his surface basking temps are good and his uvb and your feeding appropriate size insects he'll poop-- you can always feed him some baby food pumpkin to get things moving - make sure he's hydrated that too helps

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Let him poop on his own- as they get older they tend not to poop as often- as long as his surface basking temps are good and his uvb and your feeding appropriate size insects he'll poop-- you can always feed him some baby food pumpkin to get things moving - make sure he's hydrated that too helps
yeah i know they tend to not poop as much but he never really goes more than 2 or 3 days without pooping so its been worrying me. im not sure how to make sure hes hydrated. i know the bath rumor isnt true now. he doesnt lick water off his nose like most dragons do. he has a water bowl but i dont know if he drinks out of it. i was thinking maybe just feeding hornworms every few days?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
yeah i know they tend to not poop as much but he never really goes more than 2 or 3 days without pooping so its been worrying me. im not sure how to make sure hes hydrated. i know the bath rumor isnt true now. he doesnt lick water off his nose like most dragons do. he has a water bowl but i dont know if he drinks out of it. i was thinking maybe just feeding hornworms every few days?
What does his poop look like? Dry or chalky looking or moist formed?

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
What does his poop look like? Dry or chalky looking or moist formed?
it looks like a solid moist firm log. the urate is mostly white but the end normally has some yellow or orange. theres sometimes a bit of liquid around it but not all the time.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sometimes an extra warm bath can help or putting them out in the sun if you can. Or if you have a sunny warm room that he can run around in it might help. Also feeding baby food or shredded + cooked squash, sweet potato, unsweetened applesause.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Sometimes an extra warm bath can help or putting them out in the sun if you can. Or if you have a sunny warm room that he can run around in it might help. Also feeding baby food or shredded + cooked squash, sweet potato, unsweetened applesause.
ok i plan on giving him another bath and we have sweet potato i can give him. are the lumps i felt anything concerning?

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
update

so i gave him the cooked sweet potato at around 8. i gave him like 7 or 8 bites. then just a minute ago i gave him a bath. so far still nothing but im hoping he just needs more time to digest the sweet potato.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom