Considering breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmongt

I am considering breeding dragons but I would want to have special ones if I did it at all. Is it possible to get colorful translucent dragons that are intact and can be bred?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
If you have deep enough pockets and are looking for the highest end trans or trans leathers or trans hypos or any mixture there in hit up bloodbank dragons

harmongt

Original Poster
Yeah I have been checking out their site but don't they have some way of keeping people from essentially becoming their competitors? I would assume neutered or spayed if possible

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Nope. All of their dragons (well most) are breeder quality. There are no breeders in the bearded dragon world that fix their dragons. It is almost impossible. It is a very invasive and long surgery. Trust me all of their dragons are breedable and probably have the most diverse high end bloodlines around. Them and my friend Dan that runs Outback Dragon Ranch. I dont think he has any of his high end babies available but you could always check him out too and Dachiu.

harmongt

Original Poster
Wow thanks for the info!

Ya know I am really tired of working for other people. It would be really cool to get paid for slaving over beardies.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Ah, but to get to that point, my friend, will be a loooong road. Most small breeders have that same dream, to have the healthiest, and prettiest babies, but mostly, they just Love the animals ;) Not to make $$ but to promote the slavery of the human race !
You'll see... babies going through 10's of Thousands of pinhead crix in a 3 day weekend.
Janie.

chrisallen

Hatchling Member
harmongt":63178 said:
well nothing worth doing is easy thats for sure
My advice, rethink what it is that you want to do. Do it for enjoyment and see how it goes. Just look at the classifieds on different sites. It is cheaper to buy dragon babies at wholesale, than it is to produce them. On top of that you have to be very dedicated and really love the hobby to stick with it. Many many people are in one season and either at the end of that season or beginning of the next they are selling their stock. Start slow, enjoy it, and see where it goes.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
It's funny because I looked in this forum to post something that really ends up being a good answer for this topic.

THERE IS NO MONEY IN BEARDED DRAGONS ANYMORE

Well, I said it. Not that you cant trade dollars for a few years, but if you really keep score this hobby is getting saturated by mostly mediocre dragons. The high end is quickly falling, and the volume on the high end is right behind it. The high end market consist of mostly new breeders who are finding things are kind of tough right now.

Sure, Petco, Petsmart, and your wholesaler will take the dragons off your hands for 10-20 bucks each, but that doesn't pay for electricity and feeders.

I will admit I was resigned to this concept even before we hatched our first clutches. After 200 babies I still see red ink in the future. The only saving thing is... I love dragons. I like to have an awesome collection, and I have found breeding is the purest way of doing it.

As for bigger breeders being worried about you breeding, don't sweat it. You'll mostly just bring the local retail, and wholesale even lower. They'll fight the down turn in pricing by upping production, :banghead: lol.
You can't keep up.

If you're going to breed, do it for the LOVE of BEARDIES!

Okay, I am off the soap box now :oops:

Jeff

chrisallen

Hatchling Member
citrusdragon":6144c said:
It's funny because I looked in this forum to post something that really ends up being a good answer for this topic.

THERE IS NO MONEY IN BEARDED DRAGONS ANYMORE

Well, I said it. Not that you cant trade dollars for a few years, but if you really keep score this hobby is getting saturated by mostly mediocre dragons. The high end is quickly falling, and the volume on the high end is right behind it. The high end market consist of mostly new breeders who are finding things are kind of tough right now.

Sure, Petco, Petsmart, and your wholesaler will take the dragons off your hands for 10-20 bucks each, but that doesn't pay for electricity and feeders.

I will admit I was resigned to this concept even before we hatched our first clutches. After 200 babies I still see red ink in the future. The only saving thing is... I love dragons. I like to have an awesome collection, and I have found breeding is the purest way of doing it.

As for bigger breeders being worried about you breeding, don't sweat it. You'll mostly just bring the local retail, and wholesale even lower. They'll fight the down turn in pricing by upping production, :banghead: lol.
You can't keep up.

If you're going to breed, do it for the LOVE of BEARDIES!

Okay, I am off the soap box now :oops:

Jeff
Well put. A long time ago I was told by someone that beardies would one day become the next green iguana(disposable lizard). That is getting closer and closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom