Confirmed Gout

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsjohn19

Original Poster
Thanks I'll look into it. The vet ran a slew of tests and originally we thought the uric acid deposit was a mineral deposit (possibly calcium) because of how it appeared on the x-ray and how much calcium he was getting, but that was ruled out after we did the the cytology. The vet assured us, at least two months ago during the first blood test, that the problem was high uric acid levels and that his calcium levels were fine (don't know levels only got UA values because that was the culprit) and nothing was mentioned during this last round of blood testing. I'm hesitant to think he isn't getting enough calcium because at least as long as he's been in our care he's eaten extremely well (as mentioned in earlier posts) and has always been given sufficiently dusted insects and greens even when his protein diet was reduced. Like mentioned earlier, he weighed 150g at around 6 months and the vet was sort of taken back by what a heffer he was and then doubled that weight in two months on a severely reduced protein diet, so I'd imagine that weight gain wouldn't be typical of a calcium deficient beardie, but I absolutely could be wrong I'll be sure to look more into the underbite and pay close attention to it.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

tsjohn19":3eduqnve said:
Thanks I'll look into it. The vet ran a slew of tests and originally we thought the uric acid deposit was a mineral deposit (possibly calcium) because of how it appeared on the x-ray and how much calcium he was getting, but that was ruled out after we did the the cytology. The vet assured us, at least two months ago during the first blood test, that the problem was high uric acid levels and that his calcium levels were fine (don't know levels only got UA values because that was the culprit) and nothing was mentioned during this last round of blood testing. I'm hesitant to think he isn't getting enough calcium because at least as long as he's been in our care he's eaten extremely well (as mentioned in earlier posts) and has always been given sufficiently dusted insects and greens even when his protein diet was reduced. Like mentioned earlier, he weighed 150g at around 6 months and the vet was sort of taken back by what a heffer he was and then doubled that weight in two months on a severely reduced protein diet, so I'd imagine that weight gain wouldn't be typical of a calcium deficient beardie, but I absolutely could be wrong I'll be sure to look more into the underbite and pay close attention to it.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.
Thank you for taking my point into notice. And I am so sorry about him having gout.

tsjohn19

Original Poster
Thanks, at least we have a game plan for keeping it contained; that's as much as I can ask for at this stage. Here are the pictures I said I'd post. Some of them may not be the best quality or highlight the under-bite significantly because these pictures weren't taken with that intention.

2-3-16
IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

2-15-16
IMG_1326.jpg

3-8-16
IMG_1316.jpg

3-17-16
IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

4-15-16
IMG_1347.jpg

5-1-16
IMG_1327.jpg

5-2-16
IMG_1328.jpg

5-25-16
IMG_1310.jpg

7-4-16
IMG_1392.jpg

tsjohn19":38d0e77o said:
Thanks, at least we have a game plan for keeping it contained; that's as much as I can ask for at this stage. Here are the pictures I said I'd post. Some of them may not be the best quality or highlight the under-bite significantly because these pictures weren't taken with that intention.

2-3-16
IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

2-15-16
IMG_1326.jpg

3-8-16
IMG_1316.jpg

3-17-16
IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

4-15-16
IMG_1347.jpg

5-1-16
IMG_1327.jpg

5-2-16
IMG_1328.jpg

5-25-16
IMG_1310.jpg

7-4-16
IMG_1392.jpg

Yea I see a litt less e bit on an under bite. May I ask where you got him from?

tsjohn19

Original Poster
A pet store and even though I appreciate the work that my local store does, it's no secret that pet stores don't and/or can't sufficiently meet the needs of their animals while still trying to turn a profit. The pet store is also a chain, so it isn't even a store that specializes in exotics. He was extremely young when I got him to the point where I was hesitant to even go ahead and get him because my first one, also purchased from a chain pet store, was much older; albeit probably only by a few weeks, but that makes a big difference in those first months. On most days when I go in it's a miracle to not find the beardies maimed by one another to a degree from being underfed. It wouldn't surprise one bit if we bought him slightly malnourished considering he was so young and sharing a cage with a few other young ones.

tsjohn19":duqi11pv said:
A pet store and even though I appreciate the work that my local store does, it's no secret that pet stores don't and/or can't sufficiently meet the needs of their animals while still trying to turn a profit. The pet store is also a chain, so it isn't even a store that specializes in exotics. He was extremely young when I got him to the point where I was hesitant to even go ahead and get him because my first one, also purchased from a chain pet store, was much older; albeit probably only by a few weeks, but that makes a big difference in those first months. On most days when I go in it's a miracle to not and find the beardies not maimed to a degree from being underfed. It wouldn't surprise one bit if we bought him slightly malnourished considering he was so young and sharing a cage with a few other young ones.
He probably had the lack of uvb and formed it. Its why I get them from breeders.

tsjohn19

Original Poster
Yeah that's very possible because I know for certain they don't provide uvb because I have discussed this with them. Yeah any future reptile purchases will almost certainly come from a breeder. I was just so spoiled with my older female because of how healthy she has been that the obvious downfalls of commercial purchasing never weighed too heavily on my mind.

tsjohn19":36meqjxi said:
Yeah that's very possible because I know for certain they don't provide uvb because I have discussed this with them. Yeah any future reptile purchases will almost certainly come from a breeder. I was just so spoiled with my older female because of how healthy she has been that the obvious downfalls of commercial purchasing never weighed too heavily on my mind.
Yea. Ive heard of people getting them and a week later they have yello fungus or sick.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing today?
Those are such great pictures of him! :D
I hope he is doing good, I have been thinking about him.
Is he still enjoying his black cherry juice now?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

tsjohn19

Original Poster
Vlad's doing great thanks for asking. He's enjoying his slightly heightened protein diet and is still loving the black cherry juice. It is crazy what just a few more roaches does for filling him out. He runs around like a crazy man when he sees his sister (non-biological) and seems to have no mobility issues or obvious discomfort. I'll let you if anything changes.

Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so happy to hear he is so active! It sounds like he is enjoying a few more roaches also.
They do love the black cherry juice, it's almost like a treat for them, so don't tell him it's good for him. LOL
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

tsjohn19":1dixg37w said:
Vlad's doing great thanks for asking. He's enjoying his slightly heightened protein diet and is still loving the black cherry juice. It is crazy what just a few more roaches does for filling him out. He runs around like a crazy man when he sees his sister (non-biological) and seems to have no mobility issues or obvious discomfort. I'll let you if anything changes.

Thanks
THATS GREAT. Well its nothing beyter than a happy bearded dragon or pets in general. Keep up the good work

magpieandstuff

Hatchling Member
I am sorry to hear that he has gout. Is it something that can be fixed completely or will you have to deal with it for his whole life?

I also got my beardie, Reptar, from a pet store. I originally picked out a different dragon until I realized she was missing most of her toes! I went home with Reptar instead, and the next day I found out he had a respiratory infection. :cry: As for the dragon with the missing toes, the pet store said they would take her to the vet, but I have a feeling they just put her back into the display tank instead. I will never buy from a pet store again.

By the way, your beardie is very beautiful! :D

tsjohn19

Original Poster
I'm sorry about your experience mine was similar. Before Vlad we got one from the same store and he/she hardy ate for the first month we got him/her. It was starting to develop mbd and was dragging itself around because its hindlegs were so weak. I didn't want to give up on it, but it was too hard to watch it die infront of you, so we took it back to the store and they were nice enough to replace it with Vlad free of charge. I was kind of confused why they just threw it back in the cage with the rest of them when he was visibly ill. About a month later I learned that the shipment had devloped some communal parasite or something and they all ended up dying. You hate to hear that, but selflishly I was glad that it wasn't because of my care and I didn't feel like I abandoned it.

Thanks! I was happy that Vlad has some nice colors; I guess that's what you get when you pay for "fancy" dragons lol. My female is just a dull generic brown color, so I'm glad Vlad is a little more unique looking. He also might be a leatherback of some kind because he is signifiantly smoother than my female who is just has a classic beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom