Concerned about Slim - possible yellow fungus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hmm, now I'm a bit concerned.

I came home to find Slim with a slightly dark beard. Not black, but darker than usual. And when I picked him up out of his tank he seemed really uncomfortable and started puffing his beard out at me.

I wonder if he's in a bit of pain? I did give him the pain killers a few nights ago after his bandage change. Not sure how often I can give them to him without causing problems. :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's probably in a bit of pain so if you want you can give him some meds. since they're prescribed for him anyway. Poor Slim, hang in there ! BTW, how long does it take you to change him ?

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Not long. Maybe a few minutes? Like 2 to take the bandage off and 2-3 to put the fresh ones on? I make sure that I have everything laid out beforehand.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No, we are very gentle with him! He seemed okay this morning... we are going to change the bandage tonight and post a new picture when we do.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Update time! Just changed his bandage...

Sunday's picture:

igNWYLs.jpg

Tonight's picture:

v5FRrrh.jpg

It looks like there's improvement? It seems a bit puffy, but I'm wondering if that's just because some of the extra skin is a bit loose... it looks like it's not sitting totally flush against his flesh just yet, if that makes sense. Either way, he has a follow up in the morning with the new vet, so if he thinks it's necessary maybe I'll get him some antibiotics.

Anyone see any obvious signs of infection? I didn't see any pus or anything like that, but he's definitely been black bearding when we handle him. Not as dramatic as when he was at the last vet, but he's clearly uncomfortable and annoyed.

We did the same process tonight: quick betadine rinse, dabbed dry, then applied honey & gauze.

His appointment is tomorrow at 9:15 am EST.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think it loos like tissue is covering it all now pretty much, dark areas are scab. Nothing looks infected, see what the vet says. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It looks like the one area where the leg meets the body there's a little crescent shaped area that might be getting missed by the honey when you put the gauze on, see if you can make sure it gets in that little crack for the next bandage change.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I do think it is looking better, slowly. Do continue to put honey on it every day. You
are wrapping it up in gauze at night, correct?
How is his appetite doing?
I agree, nothing appears to be infected at this point. I hope it continues to get better.
When are you going to the vet?

Tracie

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes, we are keeping it wrapped at the moment. His appetite seems to be ok, he didn't eat on Monday but that could have just been because he ate a decent amount over the weekend.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi all.

Slim pooped this morning and I had to change the bandage, and unfortunately the fresh skin that grew over the wound was so moist from the honey that it sloughed off. It was just hanging by a thread of skin so I wrapped it up in a dry bandage and brought him to the vet.

I just got out of the vet and I'm very happy with him, he definitely seems to know his stuff more than the other vet and sees a lot more reptiles at his practice. He did recommend something other than the honey but I think it sounds like a good idea. Silverdene? He recommends putting it on the wound once per day and bathing once per day and leaving it exposed rather than bandaging it up. He said it's an antibiotic as well as a pain reliever so it sounds like a good option.

He took the chunk of skin that fell off to send out for a yellow fungus test since he doesn't like the way they yellow scales look. Some of them even came off just with gentle rubbing when he tried to scrape a few extra scales for the test.

I will post a picture when I'm home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeenaD11
Top Bottom