Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexReptilian

Beardie name(s)
Koana
So, I noticed this about a week or two ago, but thought it had always been like that till I looked up an older picture of them- My bearded dragon, Koana's, head scales (nearest the front, on top of the snout) have developed a concave shape, and just don't look right. I've also removed two pieces of shed that were attached to these concave scales, and after the second one was removed, I noticed some pinkish-dark skin underneath. I don't know if I may have removed them too early (though Koana had been out of shed for about a week and a half at this point), but upon looking it up, it seems like they could have an infection of some sort. My research never showed me any similar images to my beardie's issue, though, so I thought I'd come here to see if anyone else has this with their beardie, or if anyone knows what it could be and what I need to do. I haven't seen any reptile vets in my area, either, so I hope this can be solved without one. I don't know if a regular vet would know what to do.

Attachments

• 20220303_202347.jpg
    20220303_202347.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 20220303_202313.jpg
    20220303_202313.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 20220303_202337.jpg
    20220303_202337.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220303_202407.jpg
    20220303_202407.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 20220303_202420.jpg
    20220303_202420.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 20220303_202424.jpg
    20220303_202424.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 115

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's not uncommon and is not a health problem. Is Koana healthy + eating well ? BTW, resist the urge to peel any leftover shed, it needs to come off when it's ready. But Koana looks fine and is not in any danger.

AlexReptilian

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Koana
It's not uncommon and is not a health problem. Is Koana healthy + eating well ? BTW, resist the urge to peel any leftover shed, it needs to come off when it's ready. But Koana looks fine and is not in any danger.
Ah- okay! Thank you! As far as I'm aware, Koana is healthy. They eat quite well, if you mean their appetite. They chow down pretty quick. I feed them at least 2-3 times a week. I do try to add more recommended foods to their bowl (I used to feed them mostly kale (with very few other veggies and fruits (they were picky at the time, and I didn't research much on the best foods for beardies)) until I learned that it wasn't the best for them (long-term, at least), and could eventually cause problems), so they eat pretty healthy, too. I know I shouldn't touch their shed unless absolutely necessary. It just seemed painful with the way their scales were growing, and I thought the pieces of shed might've been stuck, since it had been at least a week and a half after they had shed. Thank you for your reply! This eased my worries, though it still confuses me a bit. Do you know why this happens?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! There's no real explanation for the slight deviation from the norm in the scales afaik but I've seen it in this forum before every once in a while. Humans have different lips, noses, ears, eyebrows, hair thickness, moles, etc. so it may just be the reptile equivalent. It sounds like Koana has a good diet, you can use kale as one of the staples of his salad, it's perfectly safe. :)

AlexReptilian

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Koana
You're welcome ! There's no real explanation for the slight deviation from the norm in the scales afaik but I've seen it in this forum before every once in a while. Humans have different lips, noses, ears, eyebrows, hair thickness, moles, etc. so it may just be the reptile equivalent. It sounds like Koana has a good diet, you can use kale as one of the staples of his salad, it's perfectly safe. :)
Well, I hope that if there is ever a final answer for this, then that would be it! Thank you. I heard that kale has a lot of calcium, and too much can cause problems? But thank you for the advice!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Kale is high in calcium, which is good. The reason some people have a bad opinion of kale is that it used to be thought that it was high in oxalates, which binds the calcium and make it hard to absorb. But kale has the same or less amount of oxalates as collard, turnip, mustard greens and other healthy veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom