claws

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloraBelle

Hello,
I am just wondering what I can do about my dragon's claws. They are getting really sharp and my hands are getting full of scratches. I was thinking about some leather gloves... like some driving gloves (not big heavy duty things)... or maybe trimming his claws.. but not sure how to do this. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Elmontare

Hatchling Member
You could try putting a few well placed stones in his enclosure to climb on which should help a little. Is he scared when your holding/moving him and squirming around alot?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can trim the claws, carefully - just the tiny black tips, with nail clippers. Keep some corn starch on hand in case bleeding starts. It's rare but you want to stop it quickly. You can also install a ceramic tile floor which will keep the claws trimmed, or put some rough(ish) stones in the enclosure as Elmontare suggested.

FloraBelle

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. He isn't afraid, he just crawls around a lot. The scratches are very shallow... but they do get a bit sore (perhaps a little allergic) ... He also scratches when he's asleep... lightly, but enough. He often falls asleep on me. :)
I have seen the suggestion about ceramic tile before, but I can't figure out how that would work... what kind of ceramic tile would work ? I do have rocks in his enclosure, but he is pretty lazy. I may try trimming his claws. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Trimming works for sure. As for ceramic tile, I just picked up some squares of it at Lowe's and had them cut to size to fit the floor of the tank and dropped em in. Found some that had just a little bit of texture for traction and looked decent. About 2 bucks per tile.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Elmontare":1w47qthl said:
You could try putting a few well placed stones in his enclosure to climb on which should help a little. Is he scared when your holding/moving him and squirming around alot?

I've had the best luck with this. I have a large sandstone as my basking rock. It works even better if the dragon needs to climb up and down it - rather than just walk across it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom