Cinder, whom I will never forget

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is finally here, who was sent to me by Howlin Gale Dragons. :D I'm still trying to decide on a name for him. This is going to be his thread, dedicated to his daily adventures and shenanigans.
He is 5 1/2 inches long and very gentle. He is very calm and still when I handle him. He doesn't like baths too much, from what I discovered yesterday when he arrived.
He is adjusting to everything very fast. He seems to like being handled, he always has a creamy white belly. I discovered that he seems to like his beard rubbed...he closes his eyes and goes very still. When I pet his back, he flattens his back out...I don't know if that is an indication of contentment or aggravation.
Today I made the mistake of setting him on my bed for half a second, and he zipped across it in a flash and hit the floor, but continued to run. :shock: He was fine, but I don't know if something spooked him into acting like this...when he first arrived yesterday, I had set him on my bed and he just watched me very calmly and walked around a bit...he even attempted to climb my bed drape. My cats might have spooked him because they were both in my room at the time, laying around oblivious to him. I'm going to not have them in the room the next time he is out- I wish I never made the mistake in the first place, but I'm learning as a new beardie mom.
Also, another note on his likes/dislikes...he seems to have an aversion to squash. :? lol. I got him to eat some Collard greens yesterday, but as soon as he tasted that squash he refused veggies for the rest of the night. He is still on a veggie strike.

FINALLY, on to the best part!

Soaking after his arrival. :love5:

Drying up on his new personal blankie. :D

This is from today at 7:00 am : groggy, grumpy and pancakin.
"Woman, are you aware of what time it is? GET THAT THING OUTTA MAH FACE. >:C"

Saddly, these are the only pics I could take before my camera ran out of batteries. :( I'm currently scavenging for more. I hope to take some pictures of him eating tonight.

Sadona

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks! Is it common for babies or new arrivals to not want to eat? I tried offering him some phoenix worms and he didn't move a muscle.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, it's normal. He's probably dealing with a bit of relocation stress right now. Once he gets more settled in he'll start eating more and more. One thing I noticed with Dewey in the beginning was that he ate a LOT better when I gave him his food and left the room so he was alone. He must've felt more secure without my hovering over him watching his every move. Eventually, he accepted me and now all is fine. Just keep offering him food, eventually he'll eat. :)

Sadona

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, I'll keep trying. I got him to eat only 4 crickets yesterday, but still no wormies. I'm glad he at least ate something. He seemed to be getting used to me handling him yesterday, but I can tell he is still unsure of me. It was nice seeing some improvement. I held him for a few minutes about 15 mins. ago and he kept inching away from my hand when I went to pick him up. Maybe it was the different type of jacket I was wearing, I don't know. I just hope he will come around soon.

Sadona

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Why thank you! :)
I finally got him to eat 9 phoenix worms! Whoo! :blob5: The little stinker refused to take them from my hand, but will eat them from a dish. :?
Today he has a lot more energy, but is very unenthusiastic about being picked up. He kept running away. :( Its really discouraging...I can't wait to have a strong bond with him.
How can I bond with him? I handle him all the time for short intervals...I try to feed him, I give him baths...I hoping that hes just still acclimating and he won't stay skittish. I might try this crazy idea of reading to him to get him used to me and my voice, lol.He was fine with letting me pick him up until today.
Still trying to look for fitting names...the one I had in mind just doesn't click with him.

Anyway, heres a picture of him from yesterday at bedtime. Hes falling asleep in his blankie. :love5:
I couldn't get any of him while he was eating, he was just too fast!
Mybaby.jpg

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Don't worry. This is a whole new world for him so it'll just take some time for him to adjust to it. Right now he's unsure if you're safe or not. Soon enough he'll learn that you're the kind hand that feeds and loves him! :D

I didn't do this with Dewey, but others have suggested that you can put a worm shirt in the viv with him so he'll get used to your smell. Aside from that, I'd say just keep doing what you're doing. The more you handle him and offer him different things, the more he'll get used to it. :)

What name DID you have in mind that's not clicking?

Sadona

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for giving me some reassurance. Its kinda frustrating right now, but I just have to learn some patience...have never had much of it. :roll:

I first thought of Creosote, Creo for short.
Here are a list of other names that I liked:
Nova
Comet
Copper
Chiron
Orion

None of them seem to fit... Comet is a maybe, but I still can't come up with anything!

Sadona

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks, guys...I have to admit too, he is adorable!
I think I have finally decided on a name....Cinder!...Well, maybe. Still up in the air, but I'm almost 100% sure! It really seems to fit his personality.

Sadona

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks...geez, I have to admit, this is the toughest time I have ever had with naming.
Does it seem like more of a girl name? At first I thought it fit him, but then I kept thinking of that female dragon off of the newest Spyro game... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom