Carnivore Care Increasing Bowel Movements

SupportDragon

Original Poster
My beardie hasn’t been eating his veggies for over a week now. He eats his feeder insects, but has no interest in anything else. I originally assumed it was constipation. He had a bowel movement with a very large urate Monday, but continued to refuse food. He started coughing and acting lethargic Wednesday, so I think the cause is a URI. The vet couldn’t get him in until today. So, I replaced his insects with the Oxbow Critical Care Carnivore (I have another beardie who was prescribed it when he developed a chronic URI on a separate occasion). I’ve also been bathing him daily and keeping him under a heat lamp at all times (ceramic heater at night).
My concern lies in his change in bowel movements in response to the Oxbow. He seems to constantly feel the urge to defecate. He had a regular bowel movement Wednesday and Thursday. In addition, I have found 5 smaller (drop sized) bowel movements within the past 48 hours (they also always have urates). I have also seen him straining both times he was given a bath (rectum exposed for longer than it should be; obviously attempting to defecate).
I’m certain he just FEELS the urge to defecate more often because of the high protein, high digestibility diet. I am concerned if he continues straining he will prolapse or develop a hemorrhoid. But, I also have a strong feeling he won’t want to eat until his URI has resolved (maybe he can’t smell/taste his veggies?). I have already seen his energy increase as a result of the Oxbow (he has enough energy to fight me off when feeding him; still not enough to climb or run around).
I obviously also want to know what the doctor thinks. But, his regular doctor is out of town for 2 weeks. I have to take him to a different practice with a brand new doctor (graduated last year) who doesn’t own any reptiles. So, I would be slightly more tentative when considering his advice about issues presenting as more behavioral, such as this (obviously, a URI has a more obvious solution).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My beardie hasn’t been eating his veggies for over a week now. He eats his feeder insects, but has no interest in anything else. I originally assumed it was constipation. He had a bowel movement with a very large urate Monday, but continued to refuse food. He started coughing and acting lethargic Wednesday, so I think the cause is a URI. The vet couldn’t get him in until today. So, I replaced his insects with the Oxbow Critical Care Carnivore (I have another beardie who was prescribed it when he developed a chronic URI on a separate occasion). I’ve also been bathing him daily and keeping him under a heat lamp at all times (ceramic heater at night).
My concern lies in his change in bowel movements in response to the Oxbow. He seems to constantly feel the urge to defecate. He had a regular bowel movement Wednesday and Thursday. In addition, I have found 5 smaller (drop sized) bowel movements within the past 48 hours (they also always have urates). I have also seen him straining both times he was given a bath (rectum exposed for longer than it should be; obviously attempting to defecate).
I’m certain he just FEELS the urge to defecate more often because of the high protein, high digestibility diet. I am concerned if he continues straining he will prolapse or develop a hemorrhoid. But, I also have a strong feeling he won’t want to eat until his URI has resolved (maybe he can’t smell/taste his veggies?). I have already seen his energy increase as a result of the Oxbow (he has enough energy to fight me off when feeding him; still not enough to climb or run around).
I obviously also want to know what the doctor thinks. But, his regular doctor is out of town for 2 weeks. I have to take him to a different practice with a brand new doctor (graduated last year) who doesn’t own any reptiles. So, I would be slightly more tentative when considering his advice about issues presenting as more behavioral, such as this (obviously, a URI has a more obvious solution).
I am flagging to Tracie I was hoping she would respond to this
@Drache613

SupportDragon

Original Poster

SupportDragon

Original Poster
The doctor prescribed a month of ceftazidime and said to continue the force feeding until he starts eating again. He said he heard some rasping in his lungs, but no rattling/cackling yet. He gave me some instructions on what to do if he prolapses from straining, but said it’s highly unlikely.
His stool is a much lighter tan color. I lowered the amount I was administering to 2 ml and I haven’t seen him straining today. I’m continuing daily baths to avoid dehydration.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom