Can't we all just get along???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
So yesterday I had Rexi out and decided to bring Rogue out as well. They are both females and often take their bath together so I figured they could play nice, right? Wrong. I brought out Rogue and she ran at and attacked Rexi and then Rexi retaliated and so on and so forth until I put my hand between the two and separated them. I am positive that they are both female, as they are both completely submissive to my male who does nothing but head bob and black beard anytime he sees the girls and they both wave back at him. I’m just wondering if anybody may have some insight as to why my girls don’t get along outside of their tanks. Rogue is a bold little brat and goes after Rexi and then they just won’t let up. I just don’t get it. They take baths together in the sink, no problems so why do they fight when out roaming the apartment? This, btw, is a great example of why dragons should not be housed together. I can’t imagine what they would do to each other if kept in the same enclosure and these are both females.

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
I have a female that is the same way. She is the domanint one......unless I put Kane with her. It has been my experience, that if they are housed by themselves from an early age they will be that way with everyone, when we are talking about females. Raise two females together and they will be ok most of the time for life with another dragon.

Ernie

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ahh, yes that makes sense. Both of my girls have had their own enclosures since they were just tiny babies. Any idea why bath time is ok and they get along for it, but not when I let them out to run around the apartment? I’m wondering if I should stop giving them baths together too. It’s not the end of the world; I guess they don’t have to get along, it would just be easier if I could have let them both out at the same time. Rogue is much smaller than Rexi and she cracks me up. She must be the dominant one, as she attacks first and Rexi is like “Hey, I’m bigger than you! You better stop that before I kick your butt!” Then all hell breaks loose. Oh well. Poor Diesel is so full of himself now, he has been watching all of this and I think he thinks the ladies are fighting over him. :roll:

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Silly girls!
I think perhaps that in the water they may feel slightly insecure, but on dry land they are both confident and want to point out who's boss.
I also wouldnt count out jealousy.
My girl Dex was incredibly possesive of me. She was fine with my boyfriend but if he came near us when we were together Dex would run up to my neck and put both arms around it in a "MINEMINEMINE" manner. Perhaps Rexi just doesnt like to share?

Holly

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
Ethelia":0affd said:
Silly girls!
I think perhaps that in the water they may feel slightly insecure, but on dry land they are both confident and want to point out who's boss.

I think Holly nailed it. They are both more concerned about the moving water than they are with the other beardie. You can try slowly reducing the amount of water in the bath until there is almost none? I wonder if that would work over time. But, I wouldn't suggest allowing them in the others cage cause that is someones territory.

Ernie

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys. Holly, that is so cute about Dex, she really loved you a lot! Rexi is definitely my love bug. She loves to cuddle and sit with anybody. Rogue is very independent and she is the one who starts it. I don’t think Rexi would go after Rogue if Rogue didn’t attack Rexi first. Rogue could care less about people or having a good cuddle. You know though, they were both right in front of Rogue’s viv (hers is on the bottom of the stand) when it all happened. Maybe Rogue was protecting her territory anyways, letting Rexi know that she was getting too close to Rogue’s home. I would definitely never put them in each other’s enclosures, that is why they each have their own. I’m going to try that bath trick Ernie and see if it helps. I think I will also try setting them loose in different areas of the apartment and away from the vivs and see if that helps. I figure if worse comes to worse I just won’t be able to have them out together, but I’m going to work on it and see if the girls can’t find some common ground. It’s hard enough having an aggressive male that I can’t let out with the girls and even harder when I can’t let the girls out together. Thanks again for the ideas!

Nicole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom