calci worms (phoenix worms) turning black

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakedragon

Juvie Member
i noticed some of my calci worms are turning black, are they still safe to feed to my bearded dragon. they are still alive

speedyfuzzball

Hatchling Member
I found this on the Phoenix worm website in the FAQ section:

Q: Some of my Phoenix Worms are turning dark. Are they dead or dying?
A: Usually the answer is no. Turning dark is natural as the worm matures so this is seen more often in the large size. Dark worms actually have the highest levels of calcium. We suggest that you feed any dark worms first while they are still wiggly. Note: Dark, still, worms are trying to pupate but can still be fed. If conditions are just right, you may have a black soldier fly emerge in 10-14 days. Animals LOVE to catch the fly and eat it, too!

I hope this helps!

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
:lol: :lol:
oh my goodness, this reminds me of time i left some pheonix worms in the cup, and i opened it at a later time, and and jumped back b/c one had turned into a fly (black soldier fly) ... and it just STARTLED me more than anything, it was trying to zoom out and i got all freaked out and closed the lid back.
it was hilarious in restrospect! hahaha.
but yea, if they go long enough, and stay alive, some will turn into flies. And you can tell usually by the darkening and blackening :)
~Em

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
haha! yea. well, ive only had one do it out of hundreds and hundreds of phoenix worms ive feed Blue over the years ... you will use them up before that happens!!! it can happen, it does happen (obviously, hello!) hahaha, but i didnt put mine in the fridge to help them stay dormant. i had forgotten about a container i had them in for a while, out of the fridge, and one had became a buzz buzz fly.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
i dont know, i only saw it buzzing around and put the top back on super super quick. just looked like a fly to me. i didnt see it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom